• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In person comic book meet up group
4 4

52 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2021 at 1:26 PM, batman_fan said:

We recently had a Colorado meet up that was just plan amazing.  People brought so much good stuff it was mind boggling.  

PM sent. (thumbsu

On 11/12/2021 at 12:37 PM, F For Fake said:

I am blessed with many friends, but of the ones I see regularly, zero are comic fans/collectors. I have ONE friend who is also a toy collector, so we go to Joe shows and toy cons and stuff together, but as for comics, I'm 100% on my own. I'm DROWNING in musicians, however. If it was a new bass or pedal or whatever, sure, plenty of folks with whom I could talk about that stuff. But comics, nada. So, that's why I like to come on here and share stuff, because none of my friends care about my comic pick-ups. The boards provide a vital form of self expressions! (i.e. hey look at this pile of worthless I found!)

I’m sure there are probably other collectors in your area. Maybe even a board member or two depending where you are. If you have a show locally you can meet other collectors. Or get it started right here by asking if any body lives in your area. 

Our group just formed organically. I set up at local shows once in a while and got to know a few people. We got together and they brought a few more people and so on. Have about a dozen regulars now.

It can be as simple as meeting in a park on a Saturday got a few hours. Every body brings a small box or two to buy, sell or trade or just show off books to talk about. Lot of fun. You just have to put out a little effort to get it going. 

I tried to get a gathering going here in northern NJ but no one was interested. This was back when there were a few cons very close to my house. I did get invited to the one on Long Island that meets on Tuesdays (I think) but that is impossible due to rush hour traffic.

On 11/12/2021 at 12:37 PM, F For Fake said:

I am blessed with many friends, but of the ones I see regularly, zero are comic fans/collectors. I have ONE friend who is also a toy collector, so we go to Joe shows and toy cons and stuff together, but as for comics, I'm 100% on my own. I'm DROWNING in musicians, however. If it was a new bass or pedal or whatever, sure, plenty of folks with whom I could talk about that stuff. But comics, nada. So, that's why I like to come on here and share stuff, because none of my friends care about my comic pick-ups. The boards provide a vital form of self expressions! (i.e. hey look at this pile of worthless I found!)

I'm available for music and gear talk too!😎

On 11/10/2021 at 8:38 AM, Robot Man said:

There are about a dozen local collectors in my area who get together about every 3 months to buy, sell and trade and talk comics. We get a patio area in a local restaurant. Often “strangers” are invited and show up with cool stuff as well. Here are a few pictures of past events. 

73907C70-B57E-4137-9A77-7CA78BCBC462.jpeg

F17F1682-9C56-4A2B-B62A-787A7EC36C55.jpeg

E1112737-468B-4F26-955B-3C2AC7FABC53.jpeg

9E84B748-B530-44D0-BD8F-9AC80ED7B69B.jpeg

C78BF95B-138C-485D-AF8B-D0AE8EFC220B.jpeg

8C7FC3AF-EFB2-4A99-A51C-81BC69B4774D.jpeg

04D5A305-5E42-4C14-BCA5-CAD4680635B7.jpeg

B3B7D893-E5E8-4837-8061-F4CDB4FAC006.jpeg

79B45E09-FA89-4AA2-A271-894D66871768.jpeg

Dude, I know you are a California guy, so where are you guys meeting? I'm up for a get together with you guys. If you could P.M. me the info I would be interested in meeting up with you.  I know we've met before at the Cal Comic con in Yorba Linda before. 

On 11/13/2021 at 8:13 AM, Bird said:

I tried to get a gathering going here in northern NJ but no one was interested. This was back when there were a few cons very close to my house. I did get invited to the one on Long Island that meets on Tuesdays (I think) but that is impossible due to rush hour traffic.

New Jersey,  man I have family that lives in East Windsor. Some spots still look like colonial times there with all the old houses. In California you dont have that deep history too much. Most homes here are considered historical when built in 1980's.😂

On 11/14/2021 at 8:52 AM, oakman29 said:

Dude, I know you are a California guy, so where are you guys meeting? I'm up for a get together with you guys. If you could P.M. me the info I would be interested in meeting up with you.  I know we've met before at the Cal Comic con in Yorba Linda before. 

The past few times we’ve gotton together was at a Mexican restraunt patio in Fullerton. Lot of fun for a few hours. Usually on a Sat afternoon. I will PM you next time we do it. Probably after the first of the year. Always good to have some new people there. 

On 11/14/2021 at 9:37 AM, Robot Man said:

The past few times we’ve gotton together was at a Mexican restraunt patio in Fullerton. Lot of fun for a few hours. Usually on a Sat afternoon. I will PM you next time we do it. Probably after the first of the year. Always good to have some new people there. 

Thanks my man looks to be a fun time.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, oakman29 said:

I'm available for music and gear talk too!😎

Hey Oak, good to see ya bud! Haven't picked up much new gear lately. I sold off a looper pedal that I never used and put the money towards a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal, which I used at a gig the first time this weekend. It's an "always on" pedal, gives everything a nice growl. I'm digging it. Otherwise not much to report, we'll see if Santa brings anything cool this year!

Anyone out near San Diego that collects comics AND goes sailing??  Now THAT would be a meetup I'd borrow money from a bookie to participate in. lol

Obviously, having comics on a sailboat isn't a good idea.  There are plenty of places along the harbor to meet up though.  I say all this partly in jest (I don't own a sailboat, I charter), but it would be kinda cool. :banana: