• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wavering passion for collecting
5 5

89 posts in this topic

So I've been a comic collector since the mid 90s, and have amassed a pretty sizeable collection over the decades.

I'm hoping the feeling will pass, but I've been feeling kind of burned out/over with the whole thing for a little while now.

I still love comics, but now that I've locked down all of my collecting goals I'm faced with the inevitable question of "what's next"?  

Ive only collected Marvel, and over the years I've managed to get to complete runs of Fantastic Four 1-300, X-men 1-300, Amazing Spiderman 1-400, daredevil 1-200, Strange Tales 101-160, Cap 100-300, and bunches of smaller titles like complete Web of, Spectacular,  Nova, Man-Thing, Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula etc.

Just curious to hear from other collectors to see if you've faced burnout and what you've done about it. I've thought of maybe selling them all off but I still feel like I'd probably regret it someday. 

But on the other hand they just sit in storage now and don't so much for me anymore. Sure I read them here and there but I've realized that the joy for me over the years was the collecting aspect.  Traveling around to different city's for comic shops and conventions with my brother was what made the whole thing fun. The process of getting all those books was awesome and I'll always have those memories regardless. 

One thing that has put a damper on continuing is the ridiculous prices that even minor keys command these days. I can't imagine just getting into collecting now, it's so freaking expensive. I remember buying low issue ASM's for $50 each back in the day. Now those same issues would be several thousand dollars.  Nuts.

Anyway, anyone faced a similar situation?  Anyone sold and regretted? Anyone kept going and found the passion again?

Sure, it'd be expensive now, but you're lucky enough not to be doing it now. It seems like maybe you're on information overload: you're hearing and seeing about record-breaking prices and it's discouraging you, but you're failing to take into account that this stuff doesn't really affect you all that much in the first place anyway, and it's just bad news dragging you down by association. 

Pare all that back, and I think you'll refind that missing sparkle in your collecting life. 

Sincerely yours, 

Agony Aunt Craig. 

You’ve reached a goal many of us can only dream of. Complete runs of just one iconic title is snacking but to do so many is mind blowing. 
How about Collecting original art perhaps ?

If you feel burned out which I totally get, I’d maybe just start reading them and enjoying them for the purpose they were created for 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:51 PM, The Lions Den said:

:tonofbricks:

Aw yeah. That was awesome. Some things that happened 40 years ago I have a fuzzy memory. THAT I remember with razor sharp accuracy. It came from a collection of GA Bats from #52 all the way down to 3 #1's at the bottom. Of course I couldn't afford any of the #1's. I bought a World's Finest Comics #6, Bat #52, and that #9.  :mad:

On 11/12/2021 at 4:35 PM, Randall Ries said:

You have what collectors of my caliber dream of. Completed runs. I don't mean to sound rude when I say this: It almost sounds like you have enough - MORE than enough money to burn. Could it be you were always able to take for granted what a lot of collectors have to scrimp, save, battle with various girlfriends and wives, family members for?

I burned out in the mid 1980's. Got sick of all the crossovers and the "Number 1" fad that was going around then. Manufacturing because of the "Crisis On Infinite Earths" fallout which they then completely undid. A lot of the indie books just never panned out and I put my long boxes away.

In 2000, something rekindled. I bought a copy of Batman #9, replacing a copy my first wife ripped through the spine during an argument. When I came back to it, I determined to only collect what meant something to me. Not every issue of ALL the titles I like because  - you know - there's a lot of room between say Batman #244 and Batman #400. A lot of room for them to fall back and hire sucky writers and ruin a good thing.

So, yeah. I got burned out. Now I love it again. And the love of it springs from the fact I cannot have EVERYTHING I lay my eyes on. Simply have too many other financial obligations. And I really think that adds to it. I can probably have all the issues I want tat are special to me at some point, but it will take awhile.

A lot of the fun in collecting is the restraint put on us by outside forces. If it were left to me and I had a bottomless basket of hand battered shrimp, I would eat until I popped. I think we need limits. And if we don't have any, everything seems too easy.

The other day, I was burrowing through a closet and found a long box filled with 1970's House Of Secrets, Tarzan and Kamandi's. Brought me back to the day I bought that collection. Man, I had a blast going through that box and was grateful I had one left.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of your boxes. 20-30 years from now, you'll thank me for telling you this. Just put them away in a cool, dry location and forget them. You'll be glad you did and when you return to them, you will be one happy mamma jamma.

Ha yeah I'm far from rich, as hard as this may be to believe I bought probably 80% of my collection on side money I made flipping stuff (a ton of it was other books).  I used to buy and flip books all the time for cash and use that money to buy the books I wanted. 

And yes it was definitely an obsession for a long time.

On 11/12/2021 at 4:45 PM, The lips said:

You’ve reached a goal many of us can only dream of. Complete runs of just one iconic title is snacking but to do so many is mind blowing. 
How about Collecting original art perhaps ?

If you feel burned out which I totally get, I’d maybe just start reading them and enjoying them for the purpose they were created for 

That's fair.  I think it became solely about collecting for a long time.  I probably have forgotten what got me into comics to begin with...the stories and art.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:05 PM, UncleAnwar said:

Ha yeah I'm far from rich, as hard as this may be to believe I bought probably 80% of my collection on side money I made flipping stuff (a ton of it was other books).  I used to buy and flip books all the time for cash and use that money to buy the books I wanted. 

And yes it was definitely an obsession for a long time.

I buy music now as digital lossless files as well. FAR more music than I do books. Very obsessive about it. At the end of the day, I think I'm just killing time until whatever has been chasing me all my life as I run the serpentine finally catches up to me, devours me, then poops me back down on the ground. I dislike being bored and so may as well have a hobby or two.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, D84 said:

.....when something I sold for $400-$500, is now selling around 10k, it's hard to justify the repurchase.

Hellya. I bought a Bat 251 for $110 in 2012 or so. If I sold it now, I could probably get a grand. Nice return. But then it needs to be replaced. And as soon as I sell it, people will get sick of Wolverine and inexplicably focus on Bat 251, driving it to untold heights.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, Pat Thomas said:

What I am passionate about is the state of the back issue market now and second generation Z28's and Trans Ams. With just a portion of the money I should make selling them, I'm going to buy a couple of cars and build a detached garage/shop/pool house. The money I've been spending on comics will go into buying or fixing up additional cars instead. Might even buy some real estate, too.

I'll be 55 in 2 days and still get around ok, but I'm running out of time to do stuff like this. 

If you want to sell your comics and do something else that gives you more pleasure now, I say go ahead.

Amen. I made the mistake of buying a copy of Car Hunter magazine a few years ago and remembered exactly how much I loved 1967-1973 Chevy Camaro's. Started scheming all sorts of stuff.

When I was a teenager, I couldn't figure out why it was all the gray haired, tubby old folks were driving around in muscle cars. Now that 60 is here, yeah. I get it. John Prine said "Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps."

There's always something else to collect, so it sounds like you are burned out on the hobby if you aren't looking at new goals. Take a break for a while, and if you still feel a lack of interest in what you already have sell some of it off; later issues, runs that mean less, stuff that wouldn't be as expensive to replace should you have regrets. See how you feel about it and re-evaluate then. 

I’ve on occasion developed sensations of burnout, but realise I care too much about comics to leave completely, and that a period away to recharge has proved sufficient to get back into it. 

As has been implied here, it’s also important to realise that transitions do occur with age, and it’s natural to reassess your approach on occasion. Easily one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in comics was to quit buying back issues and shift to simply reading the stories digitally, only a short time before key back issues increased to prices unaffordable to many of us on a limited budget.  It then made me realise that a lot of this key material is mediocre at best, destroyed a lot of false nostalgia for me, and that it wasn’t something worth chasing at absolutely any price. Appreciating the stories and art, going back to basics, with comfortable, effortless access to pretty much everything I’d want to read, and at bargain prices. 20p for a quality Image trade paperback is hard-to-beat value. That is, it created a sense of liberation from the dictates of the back issue market. So, maybe find an alternative approach which relieves that sense of frustration or crushing boredom. 

In my case, health issues also contributed to a change in approach, as it became physically too demanding to go to the LCS or to shows, which I really don’t miss any longer.  The change felt quite natural and unforced, and I’m happier now following a less conventional pathway. I hope you find something equally satisfying.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'd sell out and invest the money.

I have a large vintage Star Wars action figure collection that I mostly lost interest in 10 years ago.  I'd love to get rid of it but I don't remember some important info about variants and other subtle factors that affect value.  I'm also totally out of touch with current values and I am not up to date on where the vintage SW guys are trading these days.

In short, sell it now while you know what you have.  The worst case scenario is you keep it forever and then your family has to deal with it.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:39 PM, Turnando said:

I'd sell out and invest the money.

I have a large vintage Star Wars action figure collection that I mostly lost interest in 10 years ago.  I'd love to get rid of it but I don't remember some important info about variants and other subtle factors that affect value.  I'm also totally out of touch with current values and I am not up to date on where the vintage SW guys are trading these days.

In short, sell it now while you know what you have.  The worst case scenario is you keep it forever and then your family has to deal with it.

I know people will probably disagree here, but I've always found you get the best return by selling on eBay at auction. 

Especially if you don't necessarily remember the details of what you have.  Trust me, the action figure market is huge on there and others will know and will bid accordingly. 

For stuff I flip, I always do auction listings, 99 cent start and no reserve...and in 20 years of eBay I have never really gotten less than market value, usually I get more than expected.  That's just with comics, I can't say if it's the same for all collectibles but I'd think it is ...unless you're selling something so obscure that there's not much of a market for it....which wouldn't be the case for star wars figures.

Just my 2 cents there if you're looking to sell!

On 11/12/2021 at 6:20 PM, rjpb said:

There's always something else to collect, so it sounds like you are burned out on the hobby if you aren't looking at new goals. Take a break for a while, and if you still feel a lack of interest in what you already have sell some of it off; later issues, runs that mean less, stuff that wouldn't be as expensive to replace should you have regrets. See how you feel about it and re-evaluate then. 

I've actually debated selling all my marvel collection and buying EC horror comics from the Golden age. Haha yeah selling my comics...to buy more comics!

I love all things horror, huge horror movie buff, but just never really pursued those books for whatever reason. 

They're definitely more rare and harder to track down in general, so maybe that would reinvigorate me...who knows.

But like I said above,  there's still the fear of regret in parting with all my hero books.

Lots of good advice on here, I think I'll sit on it for a while and see if my feelings change at all