• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wavering passion for collecting
5 5

89 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2021 at 11:06 PM, Duffman_Comics said:

Almost exactly 2 years ago, the bushfires (you may have heard of them) here resulted in a very close shave for casa Duffman.

Fire stopped at my back fence.

That's when I questioned my commitment to collecting anything at all.

I reflected a lot, sought wiser counsel and did not do anything rash. The uneasiness passed and I would not say I resumed with as great enthusiasm (I am a little more selective these days) but the "thrill of the hunt" is back.

Oh, and with regard to the originally posted question, I was in a similar position a few years ago. What I found worked was going after oddball titles. Harvey Thrillers, ACG  Magicman and Nemesis, Herbie, Archie superhero titles, you get the drift. Some wonderful "so bad they're good" comics

I think this is in the back of everyone's mind here on Long Island.

For everyone else, please do not make this an argument.  

The reality is that we seem to have more and more violent storms each year.  Basic rains are now torrential downpours and we are getting light tornados here on Long Island.  When I was a kid, I would have laughed if you told me we would get tornados one day.  That stuff is for the midwest like earthquakes are for California... 

Yet, here we are.

If the water levels rise with any significance and we get another "Irene" or "Sandy" I don't know what they would do as there is no real way to evacuate the shorelines of Long Island with any effectiveness if they had to out here. 

It would be a matter of kissing a lot of stuff goodbye. 

On 11/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, Buzzetta said:

I think this is in the back of everyone's mind here on Long Island.

For everyone else, please do not make this an argument.  

The reality is that we seem to have more and more violent storms each year.  Basic rains are now torrential downpours and we are getting light tornados here on Long Island.  When I was a kid, I would have laughed if you told me we would get tornados one day.  That stuff is for the midwest like earthquakes are for California... 

Yet, here we are.

If the water levels rise with any significance and we get another "Irene" or "Sandy" I don't know what they would do as there is no real way to evacuate the shorelines of Long Island with any effectiveness if they had to out here. 

It would be a matter of kissing a lot of stuff goodbye. 

What's always got me, is knowing this, have any plans been entertained on relocating?

On 11/14/2021 at 5:55 PM, The Meta said:

What's always got me, is knowing this, have any plans been entertained on relocating?

I often wonder the same thing.

We are pushing to move soon.   The constant wildfires are one of the reasons. 

Patrick

On 11/14/2021 at 6:09 PM, followtheleader said:

I often wonder the same thing.

We are pushing to move soon.   The constant wildfires are one of the reasons. 

Patrick

I'm sad to hear this

I understand it's a very complex topic, I honestly don't know how I would react in the same situation 

On 11/14/2021 at 6:11 PM, The Meta said:

I'm sad to hear this

I understand it's a very complex topic, I honestly don't know how I would react in the same situation 

I'm sure many, especially in California, have a more direct fire concern.  We do have a lot and some quite large.  But the smoke and ashes have been the larger issue the last 2 years.   Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a solution with how dry things are and land mgmt. 

Our area has a different and scary hazard.  In the neighborhood next to ours, a house exploded as gas leaked from the ground into the home.  It ended up killing the husband and brother; the wife and kids on survived as they were upstairs.   Our area is heavily laden with fossil fuels which has made drilling highly prevalent.  The companies can't manage all of the ground tanks (unbelievable how many exist).  Another area exploded a couple months later but it was in a less populated area.  

Like Buzzeta said, the tornadoes here have picked up.  We filmed one near my house in the summer.  Very scary.  My brother-in-law had to evacuate as it went right next to their house. 

Patrick

On 11/14/2021 at 6:20 PM, followtheleader said:

I'm sure many, especially in California, have a more direct fire concern.  We do have a lot and some quite large.  But the smoke and ashes have been the larger issue the last 2 years.   Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a solution with how dry things are and land mgmt. 

Our area has a different and scary hazard.  In the neighborhood next to ours, a house exploded as gas leaked from the ground into the home.  It ended up killing the husband and brother; the wife and kids on survived as they were upstairs.   Our area is heavily laden with fossil fuels which has made drilling highly prevalent.  The companies can't manage all of the ground tanks (unbelievable how many exist).  Another area exploded a couple months later but it was in a less populated area.  

Like Buzzeta said, the tornadoes here have picked up.  We filmed one near my house in the summer.  Very scary.  My brother-in-law had to evacuate as it went right next to their house. 

Patrick

Wow, that is amazing 

Wish you well in what you choose to do in the future. Are you making arrangements to vacate the area? I imagine it's difficult 

I am currently in my 2nd longest stretch of comic collecting since grade school and am actively planning my exit strategy.
After my father passed three years ago I quickly realized how much the things we collect become 'burdens' to your loved ones.
So, I consolidated 44 short boxes to 32 then 22 and now 16 through donation / gifting / recycling / selling.
I've also decided that I am only going to focus on a Top 50 CGC as my personal collection as it will be easier for my family to handle in the event of my passing.
When I sell books from the 16 short boxes now the funds can be used for a myriad of things: reinvesting in Top 50, a new computer, PS5, a vacation, or early retirement.
Originally from Fight Club, but it hit me hard sorting through my Dad's stuff - “The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.”

I have a few hobbies and have burnt out on all of them in the past, Comics for some reason have a different Nostalgia and I always am looking at adding something different, this year I focused on Magazines since everything else was going crazy. I think part of it is the span in which Comics played a part of my life. I collect toys but they had short windows whereas comics where something I collected at the same time as toys as kid but continued as a teen and adult when I certainly was not buying toys then.

I sold a Massive Vintage Star Wars collection in 2008 that included several one of a kind Prototypes and every Carded figure made on the release cardback and each following release. When you are looking for a cardback due to which offer it has on it you have really stretched expanding the search. Due to fear of bubbles cracking or yellowing I decided to sell the entire collection in 08 and put the money in real estate. Selling those I had no regret, great return although if I had held the return would have been probably 25x.

I did sell a ASM run, with 1-14 graded 5.0 better to buy a car I had always wanted about 3 years ago. At first I had no regrets but after a while I did regret selling it as that run has gotten completely crazy and I could still buy a Ferrari for just a little more than I bought mine for.

I agree with others, based on what you own set aside some and sell off from the back end of the run. Maybe even sell off a full run and get a higher grade issue 1 or key and reduce the amount of total books you have. 

Edited by PKJ

On 11/14/2021 at 7:24 PM, Troy Division said:

I am currently in my 2nd longest stretch of comic collecting since grade school and am actively planning my exit strategy.
After my father passed three years ago I quickly realized how much the things we collect become 'burdens' to your loved ones.
So, I consolidated 44 short boxes to 32 then 22 and now 16 through donation / gifting / recycling / selling.
I've also decided that I am only going to focus on a Top 50 CGC as my personal collection as it will be easier for my family to handle in the event of my passing.
When I sell books from the 16 short boxes now the funds can be used for a myriad of things: reinvesting in Top 50, a new computer, PS5, a vacation, or early retirement.
Originally from Fight Club, but it hit me hard sorting through my Dad's stuff - “The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.”

Yes, we had an uncle pass and it wasn't a frenzy, but it did cause my cousin to move the stuff and then it was memories as well. Sorry for your loss :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/14/2021 at 7:25 PM, PKJ said:

I have a few hobbies and have burnt out on all of them in the past, Comics for some reason have a different Nostalgia and I always am looking at adding something different, this year I focused on Magazines since everything else was going crazy. I think part of it is the span in which Comics played a part of my life. I collect toys but they had short windows whereas comics where something I collected at the same time as toys as kid but continued as a teen and adult when I certainly was not buying toys then.

I sold a Massive Vintage Star Wars collection in 2008 that included several one of a kind Prototypes and every Carded figure made on the release cardback and each following release. When you are looking for a cardback due to which offer it has on it you have really stretched expanding the search. Due to fear of bubbles cracking or yellowing I decided to sell the entire collection in 08 and put the money in real estate. Selling those I had no regret, great return although if I had held the return would have been probably 25x.

I did sell a ASM run, with 1-14 graded 5.0 better to buy a car I had always wanted about 3 years ago. At first I had no regrets but after a while I did regret selling it as that run has gotten completely crazy and I could still buy a Ferrari for just a little more than I bought mine for.

I agree with others, based on what you own set aside some and sell off from the back end of the run. Maybe even sell off a full run and get a higher grade issue 1 or key and reduce the amount of total books you have. 

I've been tempted to do the same. As for my vehicle, it's seen better days. I'd settle for a used replacement. lol😜

A car I could repair on my own. Those bigger purchases will eventually reveal themselves. I may have to fund them.

It's a work horse at the moment!

IMG_20210720_120008560.jpg

On 11/14/2021 at 7:55 PM, The Meta said:

Not for another eight and a half years at the minimum and even that depends on where family is located.

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/14/2021 at 7:46 PM, Buzzetta said:

Not for another eight and a half years at the minimum and even that depends on where family is located.

Feel for you

It is something you are considering though?

On 11/14/2021 at 9:47 PM, The Meta said:

Feel for you

It is something you are considering though?

lol 

Every single person paying taxes in NY considers it every single day they open their eyes. 

On 11/14/2021 at 9:54 PM, Buzzetta said:

lol 

Every single person paying taxes in NY considers it every single day they open their eyes. 

I don't mind the NYS taxes that much, but the NYC city tax is a brutal cherry on top.  Here's the evolution of my residential history while commuting to my NYC office:

1. East 50th Street - 5 minute walk 

2. Park Avenue - 15 minute walk 

3. 125th Street - 20 minute train + 5 minute walk

Realize that while I like having a short commute, paying NYC rents + NYC city tax to live in a tiny, crowded box is untenable. Move to NJ.

4. Jersey City - 10 minute FERRY + 20 minute walk (by far the best commute to NYC if you can live near a ferry terminal.  Beats the LIRR to death (not that that's hard) and no NYC city tax while having a shorter commute than a lot of people who live in the city-- I now recommend JC to everyone)

Finally and currently: 5. Rural NJ - 80 minute train ride + 20 minute walk (Covid era so mostly WFH still anyway)

Moral is, I've been working/living in and around NYC for 10 years, and just go farther and farther out with each move.  Still dreaming of going farther out to an actual farm somewhere.  Montana.  Maine.  New Hampshire.  Dare to dream.

I have been on a two year break from collecting. The storylines of my favorite comics all started to turn me off. Plus I went full speed when I got back into collecting them the last time and have stuff that I have no idea why I bought.

Im thinking of trimming everything outside of my collection focus. They do no good sitting in boxes. The only good thing about going full board is that I had bought lots of keys before things went crazy. The prices I saw when looking lately are :facepalm:

On 11/18/2021 at 5:49 AM, paqart said:

I wanted to restore my original collection but knew it was out of reach. Still, I hunted for the issues I remembered at garage sales and flea markets. As I did so, I kept hearing about rare newsstand comics. I did some research, and decided to go after modern newsstands instead. The reason is that I could afford them and they were fun to collect because they were so hard to find. They also promised to go up in value much more than comics from my original collection, many of which had already peaked in value.

I enjoy reading your posts Paqart and you seem to have lead a very interesting life. The hobby is quite tough now. I watched an auction yesterday of the sort of silver age Marvels that have always been in reach and it became clear that those days are well and truly over. Only the very rich can now consider collecting early Marvels. The 'unremarkable' books that commanded a few pounds for so many years are now £500 each and the keys now command new car prices in mid to low grade, house prices in high. The things that got many of us into the hobby in the first place are now largely out of reach. If you have them all, that's great. You can look forward to a comfortable retirement. If you don't, or have gaps, you can find yourself out in the cold.

But it's not all bad news. The trick, as you say, is to find a new collecting avenue that has yet to catch fire to the same degree. Something that is interesting and manageable and with just enough supply to sustain long term interest. I mentioned before that it is the medium that I love. I have a fondness for Spidey and those old Marvel super hero books but I just can't afford them anymore, and I'm by no means on my uppers. I have found other titles, niche variations and other publishers comics to be just as enticing - if not more so - and now enjoy collecting and curating more than I think I ever have. If it's in your bones, you'll find a way to keep it going.