• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are online comic collection apps a good idea?

15 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

So I checked out this CLZ app and quite honestly, it looks very cool. The interface is nice and it looks very convenient. The problem in my mind is that you've just possibly uploaded your entire collection into this just to have it online somewhere and conveniently on your mobile device. This is not like uploading part of your collection you're selling. This is basically an app that holds your collection. So where is your data stored? In your own encrypted cloud storage or theirs?

So what is the problem with apps like these?

What if they get hacked? What if they actually aren't that careful with your User Generated Data, or have people or third parties that have access to that data? Most users probably have collections not worth mentioning... but many of you here have major keys and variants not easily found. Here is an app that aggregates the collections of many comic book collectors. Think of the data mining opportunities. Want to know who has an Amazing Fantasy 15 and their names and email addresses? Once hacked and dumped onto the dark web, their data could easily spawn a list of people with expensive comic collections.

Just some musings... hm

Edited by sckao

ok not to :deadhorse:

But this is again what I've always said about the registry! I have pics of all my slabs, regardless of grade or point in the registry for just this reason. It's not about "having the best", it just makes it easy to look and collect.

I have pics already and can look anytime.

However

Registry doesn't do raws, also I've heard the CLZ app used to have gocollect connected, which would enable fmv to be displayed next to cost.

So I pick the registry, that way the values aren't always online, idk weigh it for yourself. Anyone with potential can use opportunity (thumbsu 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I found this blog on their website that addresses a few of these concerns. Obviously everyone is vulnerable to hacking.

https://www.collectorz.com/blog/newsletter/2018/05/21/collectorz-com-and-gdpr-changes-for-your-privacy-and-security

I do know a few years ago when I had some  technical issues they were quick to respond so it might be worth asking them these questions to see what they say?

On 11/18/2021 at 12:36 PM, Park said:

I found this blog on their website that addresses a few of these concerns. Obviously everyone is vulnerable to hacking.

https://www.collectorz.com/blog/newsletter/2018/05/21/collectorz-com-and-gdpr-changes-for-your-privacy-and-security

I do know a few years ago when I had some  technical issues they were quick to respond so it might be worth asking them these questions to see what they say?

I guess, given those ideas, clz would be different from the registry that it tries to in no way be public info (thumbsu 

In the registry, you can obscure from public view, although clz seems designed for "only" personal use :cheers:

On 11/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, sckao said:

Hi Everyone,

So I checked out this CLZ app and quite honestly, it looks very cool. The interface is nice and it looks very convenient. The problem in my mind is that you've just possibly uploaded your entire collection into this just to have it online somewhere and conveniently on your mobile device. This is not like uploading part of your collection you're selling. This is basically an app that holds your collection. So where is your data stored? In your own encrypted cloud storage or theirs?

What if they get hacked? What if they actually aren't that careful with your User Generated Data, or have people or third parties that have access to that data? Most users probably have collections not worth mentioning... but many of you here have major keys and variants not easily found. Here is an app that aggregates the collections of many comic book collectors. Think of the data mining opportunities. Want to know who has an Amazing Fantasy 15 and their names and email addresses? Once hacked and dumped onto the dark web, their data could easily spawn a list of people with expensive comic collections.

Just some musings... hm

It's store on device and their cloud. It does to your device and then you sync to cloud. I used it to scan my entire collection. loves its portability 

That blog is from 2018 to address with GDPR came out. (They didn't have a choice.) Note that's actually when they started requiring their own websites to start using https://. 

Their whole issue with discontinuing updates with GoCollect should give you some insight into what really goes on behind the shiny veneer of the nicely designed front ends of these apps.

Public Announcement:
GoCollect's President Regarding CLZ - GoCollect

What happened in more depth from an owner:
(9) CLZ Comics | I am afraid I have some bad news for you today: | Facebook

What this really tells you is that there basically was never a real API from GoCollect. They didn't have the resources or didn't want to allocate the resources to develop one... or it would infringe on their existing agreements with their data sources. So it was made with spit and bailing wire. (Was it secure? Robustly programmed? Kept Updated? Who knows.) CLZ used this temporary API for over 2 years.

Many companies have the technical resources and money to have top-of-the-line security and programming and maintenance. Unfortunately, MOST DO NOT. IT Departments have to do what they can with what they have. What is "secure" in 2018 may not be secure in 2021.

On 11/18/2021 at 12:24 PM, sckao said:

That blog is from 2018 to address with GDPR came out. (They didn't have a choice.) Note that's actually when they started requiring their own websites to start using https://. 

Their whole issue with discontinuing updates with GoCollect should give you some insight into what really goes on behind the shiny veneer of the nicely designed front ends of these apps.

Public Announcement:
GoCollect's President Regarding CLZ - GoCollect

What happened in more depth from an owner:
(9) CLZ Comics | I am afraid I have some bad news for you today: | Facebook

What this really tells you is that there basically was never a real API from GoCollect. They didn't have the resources or didn't want to allocate the resources to develop one... or it would infringe on their existing agreements with their data sources. So it was made with spit and bailing wire. (Was it secure? Robustly programmed? Kept Updated? Who knows.) CLZ used this temporary API for over 2 years.

Many companies have the technical resources and money to have top-of-the-line security and programming and maintenance. Unfortunately, MOST DO NOT. IT Departments have to do what they can with what they have. What is "secure" in 2018 may not be secure in 2021.

Gotcha.

So the date could have been easily compromised while they were working with GoCollect regardless of what protection they had? Is that relatively close? And could be vulnerable anyway?

Like you mentioned, I am going to fall into the category of meh when they see my collection on there but it is a concern.

No. If huge companies cannot protect their data on a daily or weekly basis, why would you expect a company not based in the United States to safeguard your data? It only needs one person to create an app. Some comic related Apps are actually probably only run by one or two people. (shrug)  If you were to look to see if your past accounts on various websites were compromised, chances are some of your old accounts are probably listed.

I am not even singling CLZ out here. This applies to any app that wants your data. I can see putting your books out somewhere if you're selling them... 

On 11/18/2021 at 10:59 PM, dupont2005 said:

I wish there was a way to advertise how worthless all my possessions are for any potential burglars 

My mother used to say if someone broke into our house, they'd take one look at the chaos and assume someone had already broken in and taken everything of value.

On 11/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, sckao said:

Just some musings... hm

Thats the problem with any APP. anyone can hack it and get your info