• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roy Lichtenstein Comic List
8 8

94 posts in this topic

Man I would love to see a side by side painting/panel/cover array.  with maybe the orig comic artist noted.

On 11/24/2021 at 10:12 PM, kav said:

gotta say the comic artists draw better.  dang and ol lichy had a larger area to work with too.

Which makes me think he drew that way on purpose. Artists use projectors all the time throwing images up on canvas and tracing. Why not he?

On 11/24/2021 at 7:25 PM, comicnoir said:

Which makes me think he drew that way on purpose. Artists use projectors all the time throwing images up on canvas and tracing. Why not he?

sure thats what he did.  his tracing skills werent top notch tho.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, Aman619 said:

he wasn't trying to recreate the panels perfectly....

so he wanted them to look worse?  more poorly drawn?  I dont buy that.

I've dealt with artists who would say "I could have drawn it better but I wanted it to look like that".  Maybe liefeld even says that.

Appreciate the info, have been trying to put together a complete list as well.  There are way more of these than most people are aware of, ol' Roy seems to have found dipping into funny books really percolated the inspirado ...

I think I can add

Strange Suspense Stories #72 ("Brushstrokes 1")

I also have Our Fighting Forces #66 on my list but don't own the book and don't know what painting it is supposed to have "inspired", so not sure if that is a real one or not?

Edited by kazoo

man I hope some motivated boardie does a complete side by side with artists names.  It deserves to exist somewhere.

On 11/24/2021 at 8:27 PM, kav said:

people think its easy to trace.  its not.  ask @Artboy99

no it takes skill to successfully trace. my customers that request recreations expect to receive completed pages that resemble the originals as closely as possible hence why I light box as part of the process.

Lichtenstein was creating art that captured moments in graphical form, anatomy wasnt as important.

On 11/24/2021 at 10:42 PM, szav said:

Oh boy here we go...he was elevating the mundane?... hah...this discussion has been had before.......

lol   I know you guys don't like these comments, but youre coming at it from a very narrow comics only point of view. Theres a larger world out there, the art world specifically.  Where ideas are as important as the techniques. (Frankly I think his technical skills in enlarging the panels with paint and brushes is pretty noteworthy... there was no affordable technology available to a painter then to just enlarge the panels like we see all the time now in comics history trade books.  Seeing the linework and dots 100 times larger than we did in the comics is powerful. Who was doing that?  In the early 60s the world was waking up from the post WW2 slumber of the Eisenhower decade.  Everything out there was being reimagined and explored. 

but anyway, I know this is all artsy faartsy gobbledygook cause the guy stole someone else images, dammet.... and he should be sued for it.  Seriously  do you all REALLY think these panels were THAT well drawn??? seriously? We aren't talking Frazetta panels! just the usual 6 to a $35 page rate of deadline-induced work for hire, get the check, hope for the next assignment, rinse and repeat.  Its great to worship these guys work cause we love the comics medium.  But dont tar and feather the guy who takes it to another level, and with dealer hype, sets them off on a journey to where they are world famous images that resonate with people around the world and are worth millions decades later.  Lichty didnt get that money!  He sold them right away and was happy to have sales.... 

Edited by Aman619