• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roy Lichtenstein Comic List
9 9

106 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2021 at 4:36 PM, Aman619 said:

It’s ALL different now.  Why hang Lichtenstein for it. By the time he was born, it was what it is already, no? 

Lichtenstein was an artist.  Guys who spit on a piece of paper-not so much.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:49 PM, kav said:

Lichtenstein was an artist.  Guys who spit on a piece of paper-not so much.

Absolutely.  

however…. When you think an out it…. Which do you think takes bigger belles?   Lol

all part of the progression.  Things get old and new ideas come into play. In the seventies, painting was considered dead.  It had all been done was espoused in art schools. That’s when this kind of performance art began getting traction. Think Blockchain currencies (trying to) supplant old monies. There will be well heeled adherents for every new crazy thing people can try to get in on early and make a buck on 

On 11/24/2021 at 10:52 PM, kazoo said:

Appreciate the info, have been trying to put together a complete list as well.  There are way more of these than most people are aware of, ol' Roy seems to have found dipping into funny books really percolated the inspirado ...

I think I can add

Strange Suspense Stories #72 ("Brushstrokes 1")

I also have Our Fighting Forces #66 on my list but don't own the book and don't know what painting it is supposed to have "inspired", so not sure if that is a real one or not?

Grrrrrrrrrrr!! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grrrrrrrrrrr!! & https://www.imageduplicator.com/main.php?decade=60&year=65&work_id=376 ) and Live Ammo (Take Cover!) (https://www.imageduplicator.com/main.php?decade=60&year=62&work_id=99are taken from Our Fighting Forces #66. 

The closest thing to a "master list" that I know of is from this site: https://www.imageduplicator.com/main.php

It's clunky to navigate but you can select a decade, then a year, and then a specific Lichtenstein work to see where the source panel came from. 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:43 PM, szav said:

So....it took me a lot of digging through GCD, comic book plus etc. to find out which books were which, and even after a few years its been pretty tough finding these in decent shape.

The big four, and the only ones with an OPG citation thus far that im aware of are Secret Hearts 83 (which is the source for Drowning Girl and Hopeless) and Girls' Romances 105 (source for Sleeping Girl), also All American Men of War 89 and 90.

To me the next Biggest one is the source for the $100,000,000.00+ Masterpiece which is Young Romances V15#2, also the source for I Know How You Must Feel Brad.  This one has a pretty awful cover imo but its all about the panels.

image.png.1f58f6ae0aaef71e6452ddc94c96856c.png

Masterpiece.jpg

I know how you must feel brad.jpg

Thanks for sharing this one. The source comic for Masterpiece and I Know How You Must Feel, Brad weren't listed on the Image Duplicator site I shared on my previous post. 

On 12/5/2021 at 6:21 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Crying Girl 1964 is part of the Milwaukee Art Museum's collection. 

Screenshot_20211205-081058_Chrome.jpg.61fb7b98fb2705d375787029ac49fe24.jpg

from Secret Hearts, no. 88 (June 1963)

Those ben gay dots are not easy to do either aks @Artboy99.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:38 PM, chrisco37 said:

Bah!   He just copied/stole from the 4 color printing process.  Such a hack.

Try to paint a bunch of exact circles with acrylic, perfectly flat.  Hell try to do just one.

On 12/4/2021 at 6:36 PM, Aman619 said:

It’s ALL different now.  Why hang Lichtenstein for it. By the time he was born, it was what it is already, no? 

Respectfully, I think this is false.  If you're lumping Picasso, Pollack, Rothko, and other abstractionists in with Lichtenstein, I think that's misunderstanding what these various movements were about in the 20th century.  Warhol, Lichtenstein, and others brought an extremely jaded attitude toward art that wasn't really there before.  They seemed to embrace the "artist as star" or "art as a means to notoriety" and denounced anyone that argued for the virtues of art as naive.  

From my point of view, they're almost singularly responsible (along with the gallery owners and an illiterate clientele with more money than sense) for the current mess that the art world is in.

Still, it seems foolish to debate the controversies in the fine art market.  To me, this thread promises to be a great resource with all of the source material collected in one place.  Thanks to all that have helped and contributed in that regard.  (thumbsu

On 12/5/2021 at 6:16 PM, Randall Dowling said:

From my point of view, they're almost singularly responsible (along with the gallery owners and an illiterate clientele with more money than sense) for the current mess that the art world is in.

There's credibility to this statement.  All the artists you mention opened the gates to calling things art that never would or should have been called art, like a white canvas or a loogie on a piece of binder paper.  The expertise needed to actully do a lichtenstein or a warhol got lost in the shuffle.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:23 PM, kav said:

There's credibility to this statement.  All the artists you mention opened the gates to calling things art that never would or should have been called art, like a white canvas or a loogie on a piece of binder paper.  The expertise needed to actully do a lichtenstein or a warhol got lost in the shuffle.

The Dadaist were all doing this roughly 50 years prior to Lichtenstein and the Pop artists. 

Marcel Duchamp was one of the most important artists of the 20th century. Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, and modern day Jeff Koons etc all are heavily influenced by Duchamp. 

Duchamp's concept and ready mades challenged the art world and its rules. A snow shovel, for example could appreciated for its great efficiency, design, and beauty. To re-present it in another context/perception and make it his own. Duchamp was also a gifted painter, but focused on his conceptual art in many forms and expression.

"Fountain"

d7hftxdivxxvm.cloudfront.net_-866x1024.thumb.jpeg.c0a3894d1964a77a7885646e1a8b0c27.jpeg

dada_5.jpg.e8e07d68ee6bdc16592dfb6a26fa57af.jpg

Plus there were many others in this early and important movement that often overlapped with surrealism, though different. 

Picabia.

1274098773_1200px-Francis_Picabia_1920_Portrait_of_Cezanne_Portrait_of_Renoir_Portrait_of_Rembrandt.thumb.jpg.8784b2c44dde72e482f9a644264096f0.jpg

Man Ray.

ingre-s-violin-1924.jpg!Large.jpg.3134df6eb65840dae7c9ffa5897977ee.jpg

Edited by FatComicMafia

great retorts...  and also, Picasso was a brilliant "realistic painter" when young, and when he changed as he grew, became the poster child for artists who cant draw. (even though his early Blue period works were revered.  Another saying in art schools was that had he died at 30 he would have been even MORE greatly admired.  I haven't see any examples (mainly because Im not an art historian) but Id wager that Lichtenstein (like Mondrian whose early work I have seen) was actually a pretty impressive draughtsman (realistically speaking) before he embarked on his quest to be a hack and forger of funny book images.  His journey took him from being a pretty talented artist who painted some nice stuff, to an historic artist who will be remembered for centuries.  Well one or two maybe.