• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I miss covers with substance
3 3

273 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, Randall Dowling said:

One of the great losses for me in comics is that over the last 30 years, covers slowly became increasingly about some character pose or other.  As a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s, most of the covers had to do with the story inside.  But that's when comics had stories that were worth reading.  

I'm not saying that there weren't pose covers back then.  There were.  But they were iconic and well done (think Amazing Spider-man 100).  Today, every artist- from average to talented, just phones in a pose cover.  And I think comics are worse for it.  Feel free to post any that you feel are great non-pose covers from the last 30 years.  I'd love to see them.

rantrant

How can you pass up a classic cover like this-

FC4965FF-DBC1-49FB-A3BD-F13872C3C767.jpeg

On 11/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, csaag said:

George Perez had some excellent New Teen Titans covers which helped sell the story inside.  While they may not be considered great covers of all time, They're examples of wondefully drawn covers pertaining to the inside stories

ntt33_f.thumb.jpg.cd070defb33d1eee639d4bf6e77d7105.jpgntt12_b.thumb.jpg.a01798c7231824808195e44300192d95.jpg

Loved Perez Titans :cloud9:

Not less than 30 years old though :baiting:

The reason its this way now is artists are now paid good money to do exclusive covers. 
Its part of the industry I like to see burn to the ground, but its too entrenched in variant
cover collectors and speculators. 

The only way you are going to see good covers anymore is if Marvel or DC pay a cover artist.
Or an undiscovered artist blows up while doing art for a book. 

The covers are not the only thing without substance,  seems most books now are a combination of splashes and double pages spreads.  Very much appears writers get paid by the page or book thus keeping that pesky plot dialog to a bare minimum.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/26/2021 at 2:50 PM, MAR1979 said:

The covers are not the only thing without substance,  seems most books now are a combination of splashes and double pages spreads.  Very much appears writers get paid by the page or book thus keeping that pesky plot dialog to a bare minimum.

You know, that's a good point.  The stories are so thin (also the comics themselves) that they have gotten really, really boring.  A good friend of mine recently described his experience reading a modern comic as such- "When I got finished reading page after page of minimal story and bad panel layout, I felt something that comics never made me feel before- old."

So, yes, it's going to be hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear when you've got very little story to work with.  

On 11/26/2021 at 4:17 PM, kav said:

You can read a modern comic in 3 minutes.  Not much value for the money.  Plus, the stories are stupid.  There are exceptions but they are rare.  Generally speaking, modern comics are a 3 minute boring read.

What’s your sample size?