• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I miss covers with substance
3 3

273 posts in this topic

The evolution (or devolution, if you want) of covers is no doubt a side effect of CGC and modern collecting as a whole.  Covers are more pure "art" now than something that is like a splash page with all sorts of dialog boxes, and editor comments, that are related to the story.  That is totally to be expected since a lot of people collecting now don't even open the comics up.  My favorite cover as an 80s child, H 340, I guess is somewhere in the middle.  But I can appreciate some of the new "virgin" variant covers as pure art, as I can appreciate the AF 15 cover, as a schticky, old school, tune-in-to-see-what-happens-next type thing.

I think the bigger issue is that the stories, to me, seem considerably worse, and the word count has gone way down.  Could they even do Dark Knight Returns today?  I don't think so.  Could probably do the cover though.  

Edited by Poekaymon

On 11/26/2021 at 6:55 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

I enjoy older stuff too, but I’m not so close-minded as to write everything off in the last thirty years or so as garbage. There was plenty of garbage in the old days too.

Never said there wasn't garbage in "the old days". Where did I write everything off as garbage?

On 11/26/2021 at 7:12 PM, jcjames said:

Yeah but does that 50 year old fridge have an internal webcam and barcode reader with wifi and able to show you pictures of the inside of your fridge and keep a list of what you're running low on and send it all to your smartphone while you're in the grocery store parking lot stall waiting for them to bring out your groceries that you ordered online in between you snapchatting a tik-tok video of you eating french fries with a googley-eye/cat-nose filter? Ha. Didn't think so boomer. 

Are you really that helpless and infant-esque you need a refrigerator to do all that? And what happens when all that breaks down? Do you starve? Or call Momma? God DAMN I wonder what your bathroom is doing for you? LOL!

On 11/26/2021 at 4:19 PM, Randall Ries said:

Jesus, yes. I don't need my refrigerator to suddenly become self aware. Wasn't a T-1000 that did me in. It was a Frigidaire-2000. Smothered me with my own potato salad.

I know right?  Young uns now need a fridge to wipe they *** too?

On 11/26/2021 at 7:19 PM, Randall Ries said:

Jesus, yes. I don't need my refrigerator to suddenly become self aware. Wasn't a T-1000 that did me in. It was a Frigidaire-2000. Smothered me with my own potato salad.

I forsee a day when AI is incorporated into the fridge.  It begins by making dietary suggestions, then evolves to scan your body mass index.  It will make certain compartments inaccessible until you shape up and obey. :shiftyeyes:

On 11/26/2021 at 7:28 PM, Cliff R. said:

I forsee a day when AI is incorporated into the fridge.  It begins by making dietary suggestions, then evolves to scan your body mass index.  It will make certain compartments inaccessible until you shape up and obey. :shiftyeyes:

Have you seen the size of Americans lately?  That's not gonna happen.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:22 PM, Randall Ries said:

Are you really that helpless and infant-esque you need a refrigerator to do all that? And what happens when all that breaks down? Do you starve? Or call Momma? God DAMN I wonder what your bathroom is doing for you? LOL!

Hey gramps, we're too busy cleaning the mess your generation left us to be bothered making shopping lists and remembering stuff. Cleaning the oceans and saving the planet from imminent self-annihilation is far more hard than anything any other generation had to do. So what if we do have a fridge that automatically grocery-shops online for us and only dispenses healthy foods to us throughout the day based on our stool and urine composition analyzed by AI-toilet sensors with which it communicates hourly.