• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I miss covers with substance
3 3

273 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2021 at 9:36 PM, Djangology said:

Immortal Hulk just concluded a couple months ago. After the first issue, the main covers were loaded with “substance” for the rest of the series.

Really? After a quick perusal, they mostly look pretty generic and pose-ish, and that's without even getting into the multitude of variants.

On 11/27/2021 at 3:01 AM, nmtg9 said:

Boomers versus millennials. 🙄

Thought I'd opened Twitter for a moment. 

What we need to recognise is that the world as it is today is the product of people in their 40s, 50s, 60s etc. They were the ones that built the modern world not people currently in their 20s, 30s.

And yeah, modern comics are not as fun (for me) as older ones also. 

Yes. 
Thank you. 

That’s what’s so ironic. 

Modern comics are run by boomers. 
Sure, there are writers, artists, and creators that are millennials, but they are not the ones running the ship. 

If you love your Silver Age shlock, you have your Silent Age fathers to thank for that. Or the GI Generation.

So, for you Boomer that hate the Modern age so much, you should seriously consider this, written by a Boomer…

“If you're looking for the guilty you need only look into a mirror.”

But you won’t. Boomers are the best generation to have ever existed. Everything was best during the Boomer Age. Just ask any Boomer. 

FWIW, I think the other big missing in new comics is the basic ability to tell a story well through narrative sequential art.  Again there are exceptions to this, but not only is most of the interior art just awful, it's awful at telling a story.  I can tolerate bad art if it does a good job telling an interesting story.  Heck, I can handle stick figures if the story is well told.  But most new comics are just bad art and boring stories that are poorly told.

And that's not just age talking.  I'm the son of baby boomers.  ECs were published 2 decades before I was born.  But I still recognize their superior quality and the talent that created them.  I grew up reading stories by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Archie Goodwin, Chris Claremont, and other great story tellers in comics.  If anyone thinks anything printed in the last 20 years compares to any of that, then you've got a lot of reading to do.

Comics can't just be better, they can be a lot better than they currently are.  

I hope they figure it out.  I'd love to read new stories that are well told.  But right now, the well is dry.  2c

On 11/28/2021 at 6:45 PM, Randall Dowling said:

ECs were published 2 decades before I was born.  But I still recognize their superior quality and the talent that created them.

New Trend ECs are at the pinnacle as far as comics go. Some of the greatest ever.

I’m a lifelong fan. (Just to clarify, in case I’m understating.)

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/28/2021 at 1:04 AM, kav said:

Plot Filler would be a good supervillain-he pumps people up till they are so bloated they cannot move.

Sounds like an anti-hero.  The Undertaker is already spoken for.

On 11/28/2021 at 2:39 AM, littledoom said:

I miss comics with substance 

The underground comix scene is a shadow of its former self.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:51 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Sounds like an anti-hero.  The Undertaker is already spoken for.

What abt Plot Hole-he can make any size hole appear in anyone even Thanatos or Galacticus.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, Randall Dowling said:

FWIW, I think the other big missing in new comics is the basic ability to tell a story well through narrative sequential art.  Again there are exceptions to this, but not only is most of the interior art just awful, it's awful at telling a story.  I can tolerate bad art if it does a good job telling an interesting story.  Heck, I can handle stick figures if the story is well told.  But most new comics are just bad art and boring stories that are poorly told.

And that's not just age talking.  I'm the son of baby boomers.  ECs were published 2 decades before I was born.  But I still recognize their superior quality and the talent that created them.  I grew up reading stories by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Archie Goodwin, Chris Claremont, and other great story tellers in comics.  If anyone thinks anything printed in the last 20 years compares to any of that, then you've got a lot of reading to do.

I hope they figure it out.  I'd love to read new stories that are well told.  But right now, the well is dry.  2c

Too far. Even Marvel has something in that range, though you may not appreciate the covers. :nyah:

On 11/28/2021 at 4:18 PM, Lazyboy said:

Too far. Even Marvel has something in that range, though you may not appreciate the covers. :nyah:

Maybe the Bendis run on Daredevil?  I still wouldn't put that up there with those other writers but that's just me.  What else would you recommend?

On 11/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, Randall Dowling said:

If you see the art being put out now as bad, I really don't know what to tell you. It's all subjective, but I love how many of the stories are being told as well as the stories themselves. I'm just really getting tired of people like yourself telling us that we need to do more reading to come around to your thinking. I've read plenty. I have my opinion, and it's just as valid as yours. You are not the arbiter of excellence in art and storytelling.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

That's not entirely fair. Sure, Marvel is absolutely unreadable garbage, but maybe his friend is the only person in the world to ever actually open a Zenescope comic.

Zenescope comics have an inside?