• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most ridiculous thing you have ever seen graded?

38 posts in this topic

With grading there are always some "ICantBelieveThat" because someone missed a wrinkle or something and it comes back with a very low grade. With baseball cards, a microscopic wrinkle on the back only visible under bright light at one exact angle can reduce an otherwise gem mint card to a 5. But also since card grading is cheaper than comics you see a lot of things graded that I think are funny, like 2003 Topps commons. Set building is very strong with cards, so you need the commons, too, but 2003 Topps is just about down at the bottom of least interesting sets ever, and in no way worth the $6 per card.

The LCS guy has a collection of CGC's "worst graded" books that some guys drop off because they are worthless....it's hilarious. I've never seen so many 0.5's (missing parts of the book), Hi grade reprints, and colour touched books....we have some good fun going through them!!

Someone once sent in 3 Amazing Spider-man #129 Punisher movie reprints, it turned out he had bought them for 300 bucks each because he thought they were

the real issue.

You've GOT to be kidding me. No one should be shelling out that kind of cash if they don't know what they are doing. Yet, people still do. confused-smiley-013.gif

A problem I've seen with CGC is that they do not advise submitters on their submissions. Granted, most comic collectors are knowledgeable enough to know what they are submitting and the approximate grade. However, from my observations of onsite submitting, quite a few people literally have no clue what they submitting.

I have seen guys submit mid-low grade modern non-key issues, in which they pay more in grading fees than the value of comic being graded. Some of these are indeed sentimental copies, but others just don't know what CGC is about.

I understand CGC is a business out to make money, but they are not in the business of screwing customers. I feel they should at least ensure that the submitter is aware of the pitfalls of submitting (i.e. qualified, restored, etc.)

A problem I've seen with CGC is that they do not advise submitters on their submissions. Granted, most comic collectors are knowledgeable enough to know what they are submitting and the approximate grade. However, from my observations of onsite submitting, quite a few people literally have no clue what they submitting.

I have seen guys submit mid-low grade modern non-key issues, in which they pay more in grading fees than the value of comic being graded. Some of these are indeed sentimental copies, but others just don't know what CGC is about.

I understand CGC is a business out to make money, but they are not in the business of screwing customers. I feel they should at least ensure that the submitter is aware of the pitfalls of submitting (i.e. qualified, restored, etc.)

Yeah but is that CGC's Job? There are resources out there to educate the masses....Ebay, Grading guides, OSPG....

Yeah but is that CGC's Job? There are resources out there to educate the masses....Ebay, Grading guides, OSPG....

Yes that is CGC's job. If you ever see CGC at a con, there is no mention of different colored labels at their booth or on their submission form. From what I remember, they have a display of CGC books, none of which are PLODs or GLODs.

I'm not saying they should discourage submitters form submitting stupid books, but at least they should let them know so that they don't feel disappointed when they get the books back. Which in turn might make them never to submit again, feeling that CGC is too hard on their books.

You've GOT to be kidding me. No one should be shelling out that kind of cash if they don't know what they are doing. Yet, people still do. confused-smiley-013.gif

I recently saw a guy sell a few of these off with BINs, though I think he only got $100 a copy.

Actually CGC usually has a green label and a yellow label at the show. and If people ask questions about restored books they will tell them. guess what everybody has to learn. this industry isn't for ill educated fools. It is for people with a little knowledge and need some pointers. I have people submitt mid grade books to me all the time for signature series and regular grade and most of them know what they are doing. If a customer ask me point blank as a submission center If I think they should get it graded I give them my personal opinion which is usually yes.