• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Page Color Question
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I sent a comic out for grading which I estimate will grade high. The color of the pages is off-white,maybe cream. Does CGC take off on the grade, or do they just post that it is off-white underneath the grade? Thanks.

I believe the page color is factored into the final grade, not just a notation.  So if you had 2 comics that were both 8.0 in appearance, but one was White and other Off White, the White page comic will be 8.0 and the Off White will grade lower.

The page color is published on the label next to the grade because no one can see the pages after the comic is sealed, and it may be very important to some people.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, Lightning55 said:

I believe the page color is factored into the final grade, not just a notation.  So if you had 2 comics that were both 8.0 in appearance, but one was White and other Off White, the White page comic will be 8.0 and the Off White will grade lower.

The page color is published on the label next to the grade because no one can see the pages after the comic is sealed, and it may be very important to some people.

Definitely not true

On 11/30/2021 at 6:59 PM, The Lions Den said:

As far as I know, the page quality has always been evaluated independently from the grade of the book, but there is a maximum attainable threshold for certain levels of page quality...  :whistle:

If that is true, and it could be, it doesn't seem logical.  The pages are part of the book, just as the staples are.  If you lose grade due to rusty or loose staples, why shouldn't you lose grade for decomposing paper pages?  You lose grade due to fading, or foxing, kind of similar.

Two otherwise identical books with different page color should result in one getting a worse grade because it is....wait for it....WORSE.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:21 AM, Lightning55 said:

If that is true, and it could be, it doesn't seem logical.  The pages are part of the book, just as the staples are.  If you lose grade due to rusty or loose staples, why shouldn't you lose grade for decomposing paper pages?  You lose grade due to fading, or foxing, kind of similar.

Two otherwise identical books with different page color should result in one getting a worse grade because it is....wait for it....WORSE.

I would agree...but CGC has their own set of standards.  (shrug)

On 11/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, Lightning55 said:

(tsk)

On 11/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, Lightning55 said:

They do, Creaming knocks a book down in ultra high grade, tanning does so also a mid grade to lower grade.     Off white basically nothing.