• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a dealer to do?

84 posts in this topic

Am I wrong that you can scan, name and upload 100 images per hour?

Yes, you are absolutely and completely, totally wrong. I scanned my entire inventory at the blistering peak rate of 25/hour - that's doing proper sized scans at decent enough quality to actually allow you to grade the book. If you scan them in the plastic bags, you get artifacts and so forth...best just to take the thing out of the bag and do it properly. Uploading doesn't take as long, you could probably upload 100 in half an hour if you have a sweet sweet broadband connection.

The limiting factor is the speed of the scanner, mostly. If anyone claimed they could do 100/hr, well...I'd be staggered if that were true. And since I'm sure you're curious: 4200 books, took about 4 months to do all the scans and upload them. It's such fun trying to sell comics! grin.gif

Bob,

There was this kid I grew up with - he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me - you know. We did our first work together - worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During the 80's - WE started trading equities - - we did well. As much as anyone, I loved him - and trusted him. - He was a great man - a man of vision and guts. And there isn't a plaque dedicated to him - or a signpost - or a statue of him anywhere! He blew out trading. No one knows how it happened- when I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew he was emotional- I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up broke - I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen - I didn't ask why - because it had nothing to do with business!

sumo.gif and the guy that deserves the proverbial bullet in the eye in this case… "You-Wart!"

Bob,

There was this kid I grew up with - he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me - you know. We did our first work together - worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During the 80's - WE started trading equities - - we did well. As much as anyone, I loved him - and trusted him. - He was a great man - a man of vision and guts. And there isn't a plaque dedicated to him - or a signpost - or a statue of him anywhere! He blew out trading. No one knows how it happened- when I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew he was emotional- I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up broke - I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen - I didn't ask why - because it had nothing to do with business!

Bob you are the diamond of dealers .

I just spent 1000 dollars on 5 comics from your site ( 333 dollars every two weeks ) .

Why did I spend thet money on your site and not ebay ?

One word TRUST .

I am a collector not a dealer , we do not have a personal relationship because your matter of fact attitude prohibits that .

But I come back each month because of thet word TRUST .

sign-rantpost.gif

I feel like i should interject and just say there are a good amount of collectors who still buy books the old fashioned way. Meaning find a couple dealers you trust who have a good inventory, have an eye for restoration along with a money back guarantee, and have a return policy for grading on raw books. I know a point is trying to be made about the forum police etc but I dont necessarily agree with people bringing up offers that dealers may or may not have accepted. I mean calling a dealer out is basically saying to them we dont want you on these boards, why would i want to post if I came on and was asked why i didnt accept this or that offer. That sort of conversation should happen through email or PMs in my opinion. I may sound anti slabbing and for the most part i am, what CGC did was basically what a good dealer could provide you anyway without even more premium added on when a book is slabbed in high grade. CGC isnt infallible as we now all know and neither were the dealers before and if you were buying through a reputable one, you would get your money back if it is found to have any restoration on it. Again the word trust, which I have a lot more for certain dealers right now then CGC. And no I am not a dealer.

Raw prices are increasing, overgrading of raw is more rampant.

What a freaking joke!! These "dealers" are now setting up potential buyers(that is, we collectors) with propaganda so they can screw us on raw copies like they do with graded books!!!

Don't listen to these jerks, please!!!!!!

Grades are not the important thing!! What is "important" is a buyer being happy with the price he is paying for said book no matter what grade!!

Don't be conned by "dealers". You know, the ones that help "print" the "guide" .

The joke is on us all by letting "dealers" create a market that we participate in.......first it was CGC books are the way to go. Now, because CGC is itself has imploded due to its own "hype", "dealers" now want to "hype "raw books".

When will this end..?????

Ask me again why I want to be a dealer in this market? Ask me why I want to have books graded?

Here's your answer: Because you buy books for pennies on the dollar and then jack the prices up to make profit.

Nothing wrong with that. Hey, this is America after all...........

I have never setup a buyer.

I have never screwed a buyer.

I have never called a buyer a jerk yet you feel free to call me one?

I do not help "print" the guide, I pay to advertise in it. I am not an Overstreet advisor. I will however provide Tom Gordon with CGC sales if requested. I will provide Market input if requested. I never hype a genre, issue or title.

I have never hyped raw books, I have always had a large cgc inventory for collectors and also try to have a large raw inventory also. My site contains over 26,000 books, only 10% are CGC'd. If you have ever purchased a book from me or seen me at a show you would know this.

I do not pay pennies on the dollars for books.

"Here's your answer: Because you buy books for pennies on the dollar and then jack the prices up to make profit."

Wow, you've sure got some bug up your arse! Profit? How horrrrrible! I thought those were outlawed!

The days of dealers routinely getting "good stuff" for pennies on the dollar are OVER.

The days of dealers being able to "jack up" prices on their own are OVER. There are tens of thousands of junior "dealers" on ebay. Prices can't be jacked up more than the market allows. You can try to sell comic X for $50 all day, but there are probably 3 other guys who will sell it for $25. Heck, the bulk of the people on these boards probably have enough vintage inventory to set up a shop. I've got 15,000 mostly bronze and silver age books, which is a better inventory than most of the shops I walk into.

"Here's your answer: Because you buy books for pennies on the dollar and then jack the prices up to make profit."

Wow, you've sure got some bug up your arse! Profit? How horrrrrible! I thought those were outlawed!

The days of dealers routinely getting "good stuff" for pennies on the dollar are OVER.

No bug here, friend.

And I have nothing against a profit being made on anything sold and I am not targeting Bob personally. It's the whole comic book community of dealers squeezing the customer base and then crying about "trouble". I have seen Bob at shows and I have talked to him a few times. I'm sure he doesn't know who i am and I never give my handle to anyone so I can remain "invisible" at cons.

If a dealer of anything wants to move his product faster and liquidate his stock for cash, then lower the prices and take less of a percentage for profit!!!

I don't want to hear anyone start hawking "raw books" because the graded and slabbed ones are not moving. It's a con game to me, plain and simple.

I also could care less about how many books you have, but since you did, answer me this question: How much would you be offered for your entire collection of books by a dealer.....?? Would it be 80% of guide...??......60% of guide..??

Nope, it would under 50% for your entire "stock" of books, now wouldn't it..???