• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beginner’s Guide to Magazines
5 5

190 posts in this topic

So tell me about the Eerie 1 1965 (there are 2 on HA Auction block). I think I read somewhere that there are fakes- what is there to look for? Are there no graded CGC slabs (they are both the competitor at the auction)?

On 1/11/2022 at 3:38 PM, Gregd said:

So tell me about the Eerie 1 1965 (there are 2 on HA Auction block). I think I read somewhere that there are fakes- what is there to look for? Are there no graded CGC slabs (they are both the competitor at the auction)?

This thread will give you a lot more information:

As far as I know, CGC will not grade them due to the various counterfeits and uncertainty on what actually indicates a genuine copy.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:41 PM, OtherEric said:

This thread will give you a lot more information:

As far as I know, CGC will not grade them due to the various counterfeits and uncertainty on what actually indicates a genuine copy.

Ahhh- good to know! Thanks for the article. So bidders may be bidding on fakes? 

On 1/11/2022 at 6:34 PM, Gregd said:

I just read through the 7 pages of Eerie 1 info. Thanks! Interesting as the other company has decided to grade and slab them apparently!

It's a caveat emptor situation.  There are a small few (of which I think @N e r V is one) who could minimize risk buying copies with unknown provenance.  Anyone else is shaking the dice, in my view.  

On 1/11/2022 at 7:42 PM, Randall Dowling said:

It's a caveat emptor situation.  There are a small few (of which I think @N e r V is one) who could minimize risk buying copies with unknown provenance.  Anyone else is shaking the dice, in my view.  

Yes- and seeing that those in the auction are slabbed, probably near impossible to know if you truly had an original without cracking the case.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:29 PM, Gregd said:

So what are the top 10-15 most valuable mags? I would imagine Vamp 1, Savage Tales 1, Playboy 1  would top the list.

What would be in the next 10-12 slots?

You have EERIE 1, BLAZING COMBAT 1, CREEPY 1, EERIE 23, MARVEL PREVIEW 4, 7, DHOKF 19, WEIRD 1, PUSSYCAT 1, to consider. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/11/2022 at 7:29 PM, Gregd said:

So what are the top 10-15 most valuable mags? I would imagine Vamp 1, Savage Tales 1, Playboy 1  would top the list.

What would be in the next 10-12 slots?

I think even in the last couple years since the original discussion things have changed quite a bit, but that's a good starting point.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:56 AM, HoudiniOnTheMap said:

Is there a standard/retail magazine thread? For non-comic related magazines.

Do you mean Sports Illustrated, Life, National Geographic, Playboy, .... that sort of thing ? GOD BLESS .... 

On 1/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, jimjum12 said:

Do you mean Sports Illustrated, Life, National Geographic, Playboy, .... that sort of thing ? GOD BLESS .... 

I do, sorry if my question is out of place...usually in the TCG section of the forum.

I've been a long time subscriber to thrasher skateboard magazine, and they recently issued their 500th issue. Thought it might be a nice item to have slabbed for memories sake, plus the cover art is cool.

On 1/18/2022 at 2:13 PM, HoudiniOnTheMap said:

I do, sorry if my question is out of place...usually in the TCG section of the forum.

I've been a long time subscriber to thrasher skateboard magazine, and they recently issued their 500th issue. Thought it might be a nice item to have slabbed for memories sake, plus the cover art is cool.

Start a NEW thread.... there may already be one, if so, someone will bump it ... GOD BLESS...

Is there a sub forum devoted to Sports Illustrated?  It is a non comic magazine, so I didn't know it was allowed and when I do a search I cannot find anything specific (e.g. just a random posting here or there).

On 6/16/2022 at 12:31 PM, kinzebac said:

Is there a sub forum devoted to Sports Illustrated?  It is a non comic magazine, so I didn't know it was allowed and when I do a search I cannot find anything specific (e.g. just a random posting here or there).

There's a thread devoted to non-comic mags in which I think it would fit just fine.  (thumbsu