• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer 18 Kirby Page at comiclink question
1 1

31 posts in this topic

so, I logged onto clink to take a look at the Kirby SS 18 page and was kind of surprised to see bidding was at like 50K the day after auction started...just checked and its 60k...page is not that great, is that what Kirby SS 18 pages are going for (I know the FF Kirby heritage page went 84, but it was WAY better content)... Just curious, as I'm guessing Im out at this level

On 12/8/2021 at 10:31 PM, J.Sid said:

That's a great page. Surfer on board, Surfer angst, Medusa tangling, Karnak chopping, Black Bolt zipping around...Best page in the book? (anyone have the issue handy to check?)

Not even close to best page. There are at least a half dozen or more way better in this issue , imo 

cool page for sure, though 

On 12/9/2021 at 7:41 AM, Timely said:

How often does a page from this book come around? Probably not often at all. If you want vintage Surfer by Kirby your options are limited so bid accordingly!

that's the rub, what is "accordingly" lol

On 12/9/2021 at 11:32 AM, glendgold said:

When the book split up, this wasn't the first page to go, nor the last. It's a good page, but there are also three great splashes, quite a few action pages, a wee bit of autobiography and I'm even fond of the page where Jack just spent multiple panels with the Surfer trying to get his board away from Lockjaw.  I'm unclear on whether this was the absolute last book Jack drew for marvel in the silver age, or if FF 102 has that honor, but it definitely reflects his anger and frustration with Stan pretty well.

He got more than halfway thru the Janus The Nega-Man story which was eventually published in FF 108. I had always considered it his last.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:33 AM, KirbyJack said:

He got more than halfway thru the Janus The Nega-Man story which was eventually published in FF 108. I had always considered it his last.

My impression was that he drew the entirety of a stand-alone "Nega-Man" story for FF 102, which Stan -- for various reasons -- held back, and the published FF 102 was actually Jack's FF 103. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, glendgold said:

My impression was that he drew the entirety of a stand-alone "Nega-Man" story for FF 102, which Stan -- for various reasons -- held back, and the published FF 102 was actually Jack's FF 103. 

The there's #101 with the FF being put into coffins on the cover. Was it subtle commentary by Jack or just coincidence? I'm in the commentary camp, even if it was subconscious.

@KirbyJack Did you ever pick up Fantastic Four: The Lost Adventure? If not, what are you waiting for?!

https://www.comics.org/issue/394673/

Getting back on-topic, if I could have any page from Silver Surfer #18 it would be the final page, an amazing splash loaded with vitriol. Doesn't a Boardie own it?

On 12/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, Pontoon said:

Getting back on-topic, if I could have any page from Silver Surfer #18 it would be the final page, an amazing splash loaded with vitriol. Doesn't a Boardie own it?

It's a great page, and No.

Edited by glendgold