• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better Big Little Books
1 1

85 posts in this topic

I can definitely see the case for this as the best subforum for BLBs, but I also think they should move the paperback thread here as well.  I’ll post a pic or two when I get home tonight unless the majority votes down posting this thread here.  My collection is very small but has at least a couple nice items.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, ft88 said:

I think of them both as comic related reading with cool cover but stories inside.  Both were cheaply produced, cheap to buy and tough to find in higher grade.  And not a quality location to post in the threads.  

About 12 years ago a local collector passed away and his family auctioned off his storage barns. He had 8 storage barns full of antiquescollected over 50 years. The auction house took 10 days to auction off all the items and rented out an old License branch to bring it all in. 

I went every day I could after work just to see all the items. 100s of lunch boxes, neon signs, baseball cards, playboys/undergrounds, toys, and so on.Tons of Dell comics and probably 500 BLBs. 

I had collectors from 7 states there with me. It was a tour thru the last 50 years of collectibles. 

Edited by fastballspecial

Seems like every collectible has taken off since Covid except these. They're still deader than a doornail even with Overstreets effort at putting them in the price guide years ago. I bought quite a few at the onset of the ebay era because they were so cool and old and cheap, including a very nice Laughing Dragon. I've seen so many rare ones go for a song on the bay, even rare Disney ones so it's not just all the dead characters that no one knows. Sad but true (shrug)

20211210_210541.thumb.jpg.adeda16574fc7e5769b92b3a28a02254.jpg

My primary collecting focus has always been comic books. Along the way, I discovered Pulps and BLBs. I enjoy both. I don't actively seek out many of each but grab cool ones when they present themselves in nice shape at decent prices. 

BLBs are a logical extension of comic books. Like mini one paneled comics. Some are actually directly comic book related. Fun to read, hold and display. 

Sad to see they have slipped down the food chain so much but like many things of the past, are a bit irrelevant now. That being said, grab a few cool ones since they are so cheap. Classic Americana. 

fawcettblbs1.jpg

fawcettblbs2.jpg