• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better Big Little Books
1 1

85 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2023 at 11:09 AM, Robot Man said:

These are very easy to grade if you use the Overstreet grading standards.

No, CGC doesn’t grade them and due to their current low demand, are very unlikely to.

Personaly, I have always enjoyed them and picked up a lot as I ran into them over the years. The spines look so cool displayed on shelves.

I just store them in paperback or digest bags. They work quite well. 

Thanks for your insights. These books were handed down through the family over the years. I keep an eye out when traveling but haven't seen many in good condition.

On 2/10/2023 at 5:39 PM, Sarg said:

What are the most coveted BLBs?

In March of 2022 to get the value of my books I was using a website "biglittlebooks.com" or .org which listed the values of each Big Little Book by Whitman Publishing. I believe the book values were lised were for Fair, Good, and Mint conditions. I have since tried to access the website with zero success. I get a scam site.

At the time some of the more valuable books were the rarer soft covers versus hard cover of the same title. But the high values did not seem current with the times. Upon further inspection of the the website, at the bottom, it had a 2012 copyright.

On 2/12/2023 at 5:08 PM, juniperpt said:

Thanks for your insights. These books were handed down through the family over the years. I keep an eye out when traveling but haven't seen many in good condition.

They are wonderful but currently under valued in the market compared to how cool they are. There are lots of great condition Big Little Books but I suspect most collectors don't let them go because they are so cheap compared to how rare they are.

On 2/12/2023 at 5:42 PM, juniperpt said:

And some of the other publishers of books similar to BLBs were Saalfield, Goldsmith, Lynn and Engel-Van. Here are some samples. Goldsmith commonly used the front cover art of a title for the back cover of the same.

IMG_7444.JPEG

IMG_7446.JPEG

IMG_7449.JPEG

IMG_7451.JPEG

Nice lot👍‼️

On 2/18/2023 at 8:01 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Nice lot👍‼️

Thanks! The Krazy Cat book is weird, so it appeals to me!  All about a cat who loves a mouse and the mouse despises the cat. Drawn and written in a surrealistic vein. Ran in the newspapers pre-WWII.

On 2/12/2023 at 5:18 PM, juniperpt said:

In March of 2022 to get the value of my books I was using a website "biglittlebooks.com" or .org which listed the values of each Big Little Book by Whitman Publishing. I believe the book values were lised were for Fair, Good, and Mint conditions. I have since tried to access the website with zero success. I get a scam site.

At the time some of the more valuable books were the rarer soft covers versus hard cover of the same title. But the high values did not seem current with the times. Upon further inspection of the the website, at the bottom, it had a 2012 copyright.

They are, of course, listed each year in the Overstreet Guide as well, in their own section before the comic section.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:57 AM, Robot Man said:

Yes to Oz. The first one, MR. Tracy and second one Mickey Mouse from 1933 as well. Oddly, the Big Little Paint book is also very hard to find and coveted. All the small sets are tough. And the premium books are tough and bring some money. There were a lot less printed and in smaller formats. The Fast Action BLBs are also very good and popular. Not to mention most of the Big Big Books. 

With the Fast Action books John Carter Of mars is one of the more popular ones.

john carter of mars fast fiction front 001.jpg

john carter of mars back 001.jpg

Edited by Hap Hazard

On 2/20/2023 at 10:11 AM, Brock said:

They are, of course, listed each year in the Overstreet Guide as well, in their own section before the comic section.

Thanks! I’m a little bit behind in the times. My latest edition of Overstreet Guide is ‘85-‘86.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:33 PM, Robot Man said:

It was asked earlier what BLBs were tough to find. I believe these premium versions qualify. They turn up seldom and I buy them quickly when they do. 

Pan Am Gasoline from late '30's. Would sure take the sting out of current gas prices if they gave out these...

blbspanam1.jpg

blbspanam2.jpg

Neat books! I was unaware of these premium issues and am assuming they are identified by the blue edge of the spine. 

The majority of BLBs by Whitman Publishing were hardback covers. For some reason unbeknownst to me, a few soft covers were published. Below are three exmples. I am assuming the stories in soft covers are identical to the hardback versions. I don't have hardback copies to compare.

Sign of the times. In 2012 the biglittlebook.com website valued these softcovers respectively: VG $200, FR $125, VG$150. I doubt we will see those values in the near future.

IMG_7414.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG

IMG_7416.JPG

IMG_7525.JPG

IMG_7526.JPG

IMG_7527.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

On 2/10/2023 at 2:39 PM, Sarg said:

What are the most coveted BLBs?

On 2/11/2023 at 7:57 AM, Robot Man said:

Yes to Oz. The first one, MR. Tracy and second one Mickey Mouse from 1933 as well. Oddly, the Big Little Paint book is also very hard to find and coveted. All the small sets are tough. And the premium books are tough and bring some money. There were a lot less printed and in smaller formats. The Fast Action BLBs are also very good and popular. Not to mention most of the Big Big Books. 

On 2/12/2023 at 2:18 PM, juniperpt said:

Well then, how about the hardcover edition of the Big Little Mother Goose BLB from 1934 which is supposedly rare and and virtually impossible to find in nice condition shape?  hm  (shrug)