• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better Big Little Books
1 1

85 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, OtherEric said:

How many of the Big Big Books were there?  I've only ever seen the Popeye one I have, not sure if it's just an oversized version of a specific BLB or what.

Popeye_BigBigBook.jpg

Ithik there were 20 or so Big BLBs.  Check Oversteet for an exact number. I have about 10.

5919377809_1a8ac92a4c_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 12/7/2021 at 1:53 PM, ft88 said:

I think of them both as comic related reading with cool cover but stories inside.  Both were cheaply produced, cheap to buy and tough to find in higher grade.  And not a quality location to post in the threads.  

BLBs do cross over with comic strips but not much with comic books.
Comic Books are full of comic book stories.
Big Little books have a single story, a novelette?, with an illustration on every other page.
Pulp Magazines contain fiction of any length, with a few scattered interior illustrations.

"Both were cheaply produced, cheap to buy"
> So what.

"... and tough to find in higher grade."
Everything old is hard to find in high grade.

"And not a quality location to post in the threads."
And neither is this sub-board.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Seems like every collectible has taken off since Covid except these. They're still deader than a doornail even with Overstreets effort at putting them in the price guide years ago. I bought quite a few at the onset of the ebay era because they were so cool and old and cheap, including a very nice Laughing Dragon. I've seen so many rare ones go for a song on the bay, even rare Disney ones so it's not just all the dead characters that no one knows. Sad but true (shrug)

20211210_210541.thumb.jpg.adeda16574fc7e5769b92b3a28a02254.jpg

BLBs and the other similar series, are not very interesting to read.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:33 PM, Robot Man said:

It was asked earlier what BLBs were tough to find. I believe these premium versions qualify. They turn up seldom and I buy them quickly when they do. 

Pan Am Gasoline from late '30's. Would sure take the sting out of current gas prices if they gave out these...

blbspanam1.jpg

blbspanam2.jpg

Hello Robotman! Great books. Do you ever sell or swap? I'm working on completing my Pan Am set of books but missing this Alley Oop. Thanks! 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:35 PM, biglittlebookfan said:

Hello Robotman! Great books. Do you ever sell or swap? I'm working on completing my Pan Am set of books but missing this Alley Oop. Thanks! 

I’m pretty sure I sold it to someone here on the boards who asked me about it. 

On 4/7/2024 at 7:27 AM, Robot Man said:

I’m pretty sure I sold it to someone here on the boards who asked me about it. 

Bummer! Any other Pan Am premiums or BLB related items you have or sell? I have almost a complete collection but always looking to swap or buy if I'm missing or upgrading.