• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best raw silver surfer comic for $50 or less -asking for a friend
1 1

42 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2021 at 2:33 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

depending on the ultimate goal....

Silver Surfer #34 or #44 might be a "choice as well!"

Could even buy his first slab with one of those choices, (if it is a slab he's looking for), just to help :whee: 

They're probably good reads too!

I know they were collectable for the stories, so there is that, I just meant the slabs are cheap too :x 

this is a simple question

if you want the original early issues you can buy the Fantasy Masterpieces staring The Silver Surfer issues (1979) which reprint the early part of the silver age Vol 1 run (first 14 issues) for a decent price in decent grade  

King Size Fantastic Four #5 from the silver age has the Surfer's first solo story pre-dating Silver Surfer 1 which would be considered historical and is still affordable ... short and not the best of stories but maybe the reader will enjoy the FF portion of the book as well and will expand their interest in comics

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

FF57 is one of the greatest books ever, IMO.  It’s the book that made me fall in love with the Silver Age.

FF72, to me, is the definitive Surfer Book.  Classic cover, Kirby/Sinnott firing on all cylinders.  Amazing Surfer splash & opening sequence.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:20 PM, ToBeContinued... said:

And a butt ugly cover and Marie Severin art inside :sick: Plus only half the book is SS. I'd pass.

Every once in a while someone post something so completely ridiculous that it threatens world PEACE. 

:roflmao:

Edited by speedcake

On 12/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

this is a simple question

if you want the original early issues you can buy the Fantasy Masterpieces staring The Silver Surfer issues (1979) which reprint the early part of the silver age Vol 1 run (first 14 issues) for a decent price in decent grade  

King Size Fantastic Four #5 from the silver age has the Surfer's first solo story pre-dating Silver Surfer 1 which would be considered historical and is still affordable ... short and not the best of stories but maybe the reader will enjoy the FF portion of the book as well and will expand their interest in comics

I will mention those to him as a way to affordably collect the stories form volume 1. KS FF#5 makes a pretty good candidate. I'll add it to the list.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:56 PM, speedcake said:

Every once in a while someone post something so completely ridiculous that it threatens world PEACE. 

:roflmao:

Glad someone else said it. 

TOS 93 is such a classic silver surfer cover and affordable.

I know many people who gravitate to it if they can't pay for bigger Silver surfer keys like Ff48-50 and 72.  

There are several silver collectors on this board hunting for a high grade of it since the dark  purple is unforgiving.

Edited by Wolverinex

If you've got the Masterworks you can gravitate to some of his later apperances as mentioned above,The Marvel's Greatest Comics and Triple Action reprints have awesome covers and are a cheap read.Maybe try something later like the Fireside book.The SS one shot or the first 10-15 issues of Vol.2 run.The Ron Lim art isn't all that bad.

Once he is completely hooked on SS introduce him to Warlock.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:33 AM, piper said:

Is that the recent Slott run? If so, that was such a great read.

Yes. I really loved this series. I bought it for the Allred art, but once I read it, I was sold on the writing, too. This Francvilla variant is just beautiful imho. It really captures the solitude of the surfer sailing through the vast, empty cosmos. I'm actually wearing my t-shirt today with this art on it.

On 12/9/2021 at 1:49 AM, pacino408 said:

This one shot is one I like to read all the time.  clean.jpg

I would recommend this too ... a slab AND a reader could be had without breaking the Bank. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/9/2021 at 1:55 PM, aardvark88 said:

Recommend half a run of Fantasy Masterpieces volume 2 reprinting S. Surfer with Starlin's Warlock and Pip, the troll, back up stories.

Are the Warlock & Pip reprints? I had no idea they were in there.I have the original SS run and never bothered with the reprints.

On a side note,could Pip be the next Rocket??? How much fun would that be?

On 12/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, Toz said:

Are the Warlock & Pip reprints? I had no idea they were in there.I have the original SS run and never bothered with the reprints.

On a side note,could Pip be the next Rocket??? How much fun would that be?

I've considered it and :idea:

Could be!