• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best raw silver surfer comic for $50 or less -asking for a friend
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I've got a friend who has a teen who has shown an interest in Silver Surfer and asked me for some advice.   Wanting to encourage his interest in the hobby as the youth are the future of the hobby, I want to be sure I steer him in the right direction for his son to best enjoy.  He's already picked up a marvel masterworks volume for his son to read but he wants to get him an actual comic that's a piece of Silver Surfers history that will fit in as both a collectible to enjoy as a fan.

I told him what I know about grades and prices and current market (silver age is probably out of the question in any condition unless you know someone generous) but to help him narrow his search down I realized I also need some advice.  Realizing Silver Surfer had 8 different volumes not to mention his multiple FF and Avengers appearances, I'd like to ask the Silver Surfer fans on the board if there was a favorite volume or storyline that you think would check the boxes as something enjoyable as a great read OR is important to the Silver Surfer's history or life, or an epic battle, or shows the essence of who Silver Surfer is, or origin story, etc, and cool as a collectible or with a cool cover but affordable at $50 or less. 

I would say as a loose guideline minimum condition for anything old like SA/BA would be anything above GD- (1.8),  FN or better for CA, and VF or better for anything from the 90's on up.  Grades are probably flexible depending on the eye appeal and structural integrity of the book (he wants to be able to hold and read it and not have it fall apart on him).  I'm open to any suggestions as well for specific runs even if it doesn't meet the cost requirement. I realize there's a WTB forum but for now I'm just looking for advice on which volume or issues to steer his father towards. 

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning and in turn passing on what I learn to my friend's son on the hobby and Silver Surfer.

You can still find a lower grade FF 55 for $50 if you look, but I'd look for an attractive mid grade copy of a favorite cover from later in the original run, or as nice a copy of FF 72 as I could find, which is an iconic Kirby Surfer cover, but not as pricey as the earlier ones in the FF run. 

On 12/8/2021 at 2:37 PM, godzilla43 said:

FF 57 or Silver Surfer 14

On 12/8/2021 at 2:23 PM, Montezuma said:

How about Marvel's Greatest Comics 

MGC

On 12/8/2021 at 2:24 PM, ToBeContinued... said:

If not an SS issue maybe Thor #193? Drawn by John Buscema.

Wow, those are all really great options!  Man those covers look great.  Knew I came to the right place. 

On 12/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, KirbyJack said:

There are plenty of cool silver age Surfer comics out there in lower grades that you can have for $50. Shop around!

no doubt but SS and FF is not my wheelhouse so I had little other than keys to go on.  My eyes are now being opened to so many cool books and covers.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:21 PM, Wolverinex said:

To each their own.  

I should have known there'd be a lot of tough opinions on the matter but I'll send him all the recommendations thus far and let my friend vote with his wallet which one he feels is best for his son.  I happen to dig that cover but it's not for me to decide.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, justafan said:

I should have known there'd be a lot of tough opinions on the matter but I'll send him all the recommendations thus far and let my friend vote with his wallet which one he feels is best for his son.  I happen to dig that cover but it's not for me to decide.

Yeah I like it too.  Classic SS

Looks like some people agree with me too.

https://www.cbr.com/the-15-greatest-silver-surfer-covers-ever/

depending on the ultimate goal....

Silver Surfer #34 or #44 might be a "choice as well!"

Could even buy his first slab with one of those choices, (if it is a slab he's looking for), just to help :whee: