• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Cream to Off White" pages when grail hunting
4 4

45 posts in this topic

When you are scrounging and saving for a big book (say its a scarce one), how much does page quality affect your decision?

Say you find one with beautiful colors, centering, etc, but it is CR/OW.  Is that a hard pass for you?

The more I collect, the more I realize I have passed over a lot of books immediately because I see CR/OW pages (and the book is staying slabbed anyway)

On 12/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, Funnybooks said:

CR/OW has never deterred me ( Golden Age ) as much as W/ has never enticed me ( Unless Golden Age )

Yeah the ones I am looking for are 1963 Silver Age, and I know a lot of folks on this forum are a ‘hard no’ on CROW SA books (at least from what I remember reading)

On 12/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, Venomous72 said:

Yeah the ones I am looking for are 1963 Silver Age, and I know a lot of folks on this forum are a ‘hard no’ on CROW SA books (at least from what I remember reading)

same guys are scooping them up for themselves. Also probably the same guys that would never buy a cleaned and pressed book but now have submissions at CGC

Edited by Funnybooks

On 12/11/2021 at 10:19 AM, Venomous72 said:

Probs not the same as yours, less than 3-4k on the census count I suppose. Big silver age key Marvel 1962-1963 stuff. I’m personally looking at an Avengers 1..

obviously there are way more scarce books. 

Gotcha. When I think Scarce I think of books that have just a few dozen on the census. For relatively common books like Avengers 1 you may as well hold out for a copy you really want. Patience is a valuable commodity in this hobby. 

On 12/11/2021 at 6:59 AM, Venomous72 said:

cr/ow is always a no-go for me. SA books can always be found with better page quality, esp marvel books. some dc stuff is harder but still ow/wp is generally not hard to find in this period. GA it's less important as some books are tough, though i don't personally collect GA. 

With the possible exception of some books that have become "undercopies" in my Silver Age collection this year, I don't have plans to sell books.  I don't buy books with an eye toward selling.  However, the day will come when either I or my heirs or their heirs, or somebody, will want to sell and want/deserve to get reasonable prices whatever that means at the time.  I'm not in sales, never have been, and would be bad at it.  However, I understand that one of the main attributes of a good salesperson is to be able to eliminate buyer objections to the purchase.  With this in mind, it makes sense to me to buy the highest PQ you can find/afford so in the future a buyer doesn't decline simply due to PQ.

As a former member of it has to be OW or better in the past few years I changed, mainly due to no real interest in selling those specific books that I own now that fall into that range.

25 years ago I wasn't paying as much attention to page quality as much as presentation, after adding certain books page quality was something I started looking at as "upgrade" need. As a collector I have always liked having place holders. Especially in this hobby if you buy what looks nice you can upgrade and you are upgrading the purchase price of the time you bought versus current prices. I bought plenty of IH181's over the years with intent of selling and they always sold pretty well for OW/W but White always sold for higher. In Bronze age books I still do not cross the C/OW line. 

For silver, AF15 for instance, even though there are copies in OW or better, they almost always carry a premium even when they have heavy MC. I watched for a while for a copy  to hit in my wheelhouse with requirements in this order. Budget, No MC, No large pieces from front cover, then PQ. A really nice presenting C/OW hit and I went in on that one. At the time it was not discounted due to PQ, I am pretty sure it ranked in the top 4-5 highest prices for that grade sold even at the time. When it got here I was very happy with it. Fast forward today. If I had of kept waiting to buy an AF15  each copy I have watched with thoughts of upgrading the one I have hit pretty serious sales prices. So I am not sure it would be a book I would have PQ as a deterrent even though there are a decent amount of options each auction cycle.

Edited by PKJ