• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The unofficial MISWRAP thread
3 3

71 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2021 at 1:46 PM, MAR1979 said:

Some may call this a miswrap, I say a white spine makes it easier to obtain a 9.8 than black spine. When I saw this book I thought it looked great. One of my few internet slab purchases of 2021.

Glad comics are not like stupid sports cards where every tiny manufacturing "defect" lowers the grade.

Star_Trek_Marvel1.thumb.jpg.433230b2d9974f8eb4676b991922d165.jpgStar_Trek_Marvel1b.thumb.jpg.e61db208cccf8c39ab5ea410ffe8632c.jpg

May not impact grade like it does in cards, but it certainly impacts price.  

You said it yourself....

“Easier to obtain a 9.8”

The quality of production is extremely important to me, and any white miswrap on a black cover book is a deal breaker for me.

I wish I didn’t care.  It would save me a ton of money. 

On 12/12/2021 at 2:54 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

May not impact grade like it does in cards, but it certainly impacts price.  

You said it yourself....

“Easier to obtain a 9.8”

The quality of production is extremely important to me, and any white miswrap on a black cover book is a deal breaker for me.

I wish I didn’t care.  It would save me a ton of money. 

Not easy to banish those type of "OCD-ish" demons, I know this from personal experience.  Now that I pretty much have collecting is so much more fun.

Edited by MAR1979

Unfortunately I don't own any miswrapped books, but I once got a miswrapped present :tonofbricks:

You won't wrap presents the same way again after watching this - Internet  NovaFM

How did some of these even survive? 

Who bought them off the racks with them looking like that?

So strange to me.

My Punisher 2 (limited) has a perfect yellow stripe along the spine...looks AWESOME (to me)... but some of these examples are just upsetting to the eyes.

Edited by lostboys
mispelling

On 12/11/2021 at 6:57 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Mine.

IMG_20191109_184248098.thumb.jpg.89138902aae601aab4c446591facc62a.jpg

Extreme miswrap/double cover.

IMG_20191109_184011579.thumb.jpg.4dfc3877312fce5d817d93d84f6c3015.jpg

IMG_20191109_184029048.thumb.jpg.3e7929b9556ff593dd695dc0cedd2ce0.jpg

This one really impresses me because of it's era. Production quality for the late SA / early BA stuff was a travesty, and so the glorious miswraps on those books -- while still impressive -- aren't really surprising. Heck, I've seen quite a few books that aren't miswrapped so much as miscut, including several that aren't even rectangular.

But by 2003 and 2007?

I think the WWLA exclusive is the most surprising. I wonder if that was actually distributed at WWLA and no one noticed or cared, of if it was "printer's waste" that made it to the market via ... let's say, other than regular channels.

On 12/17/2021 at 3:36 PM, Qalyar said:

This one really impresses me because of it's era. Production quality for the late SA / early BA stuff was a travesty, and so the glorious miswraps on those books -- while still impressive -- aren't really surprising. Heck, I've seen quite a few books that aren't miswrapped so much as miscut, including several that aren't even rectangular.

I get what you are saying.  But add in the double cover aspect to the book.  

Multiple cover books are "created" when static electricity causes two or more cover to "stick" together before being attached to the folios. 

Damnit.  I wrote the above over a ten minute period and I forgot my initial explanation.   Maybe @Kevin76 can describe why in a double cover situation, the outer cover is more likely to be miswrapped. 

On 12/17/2021 at 9:29 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I get what you are saying.  But add in the double cover aspect to the book.  

Multiple cover books are "created" when static electricity causes two or more cover to "stick" together before being attached to the folios. 

Damnit.  I wrote the above over a ten minute period and I forgot my initial explanation.   Maybe @Kevin76 can describe why in a double cover situation, the outer cover is more likely to be miswrapped. 

On 12/17/2021 at 3:36 PM, Qalyar said:

But by 2003 and 2007?

I think the WWLA exclusive is the most surprising. I wonder if that was actually distributed at WWLA and no one noticed or cared, of if it was "printer's waste" that made it to the market via ... let's say, other than regular channels.

This was most likely waste that got on the skid and went out the door. Presses, like your car, don't stop on a dime. It's a slow deacceleration on shut down, so stray books can go through the press and fold in all different directions, Books of this era are printed, folded and trimmed all on one press now. They don't print covers separately like they used to nowadays