• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Collection Was Stolen
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Bummer of a way to spend the holidays, but half of my graded comics were stolen from our home. 

All are part of the registry here.  Curious, beyond reporting to the police and local comic shops what can be done to prevent the books from being resold?  Any advice the community can provide is appreciated.  Happy Holidays!

Sorry to hear about this.

You should post this thread to Comics General. You'll get a lot more helpful information there.

If you have a list of the books that were stolen, pictures, slab #s, that would be helpful. 

#1) @j9v you mention the registry, do you still recommend posting things to the registry, or do you warn not to?

Was there any contention recently, just yes or no, as any specifics other than slabs and certs the police may only want in their information only.

Insurance? Cameras? residence or shop? Security? any friends or family told recently?

I'm not looking for these answers other than the 1st one, please answer that, but the rest are things to ask yourself and the police :foryou: 

sorry to hear truly

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/25/2021 at 5:07 PM, j9v said:

Bummer of a way to spend the holidays, but half of my graded comics were stolen from our home. 

All are part of the registry here.  Curious, beyond reporting to the police and local comic shops what can be done to prevent the books from being resold?  Any advice the community can provide is appreciated.  Happy Holidays!

so sorry to hear that.  Do you think you were targeted?  

Hey, j9v. I’m so sorry to hear that happened to you and I really hope you are able to recover your books.

Were the books taken as part of a bigger haul (I.e., crooks taking anything and everything that might have value) or did it seem like they were targeted (I.e., the thieves came for the books and they mostly took the books)?

The reason I ask is that it may speak to the sophistication of the thieves and point you in some different directions for tracking them down. If the books were taken along with laptops, jewelry, etc., I’d be checking regional Craigslist and pawn shops as part of my canvas. If the books were targeted, I would be sharing not only the cert numbers, but also photos and identifying characteristics of the books (in case they get de-slabbed) on the boards and with your LCSs.

Good luck with this. I’m hoping for a happy ending to this story.

On 12/25/2021 at 3:07 PM, j9v said:

So so sorry to hear this.  Providing us with a list and or scans of some of the books might help.  There are a lot of collectors here who might spot your books 

On 12/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

also @CHASEnBLUE might could help

I think your questions to the OP are a good start.

To j9v, depending on the size of the city and PD where you live, hopefully a detective will get assigned to your case. Beat cops take the basic info and may just take the initial report and forward it to an investigative division - if they are large enough to have detectives. I would contact them every day until you are satisfied that someone will be actively working this, if they are not already. If it is a really busy PD their priorities when it comes to working cases sooner than later will definitely vary. 

There are a lot of unanswered questions as mentioned by @ADAMANTIUM. Also it would be interesting to know more of the details that are safe to share in this forum as a few other members pointed out. Not always, but often in my experience, if only specific items were taken, usually the victim(s) are key in helping the investigators come up with leads and bringing the pieces together.

I am sorry for your loss. Thieves are truly the worst.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

Really sorry to hear that.  I can relate.  In '97, virtually my entire vintage sports card collection was stolen in a break-in.  Nothing was ever recovered. Add insult to injury, the police caught the guy with a few cards still in his possession, but I never got those back either.  They were "lost" by the PD while being held for evidence. I had some MAJOR cards in this collection, of which the lot would easily be in the six figures today.

For those who haven't had to go through this, I HIGHLY recommend you invest in both a safe and also a reliable security service monitoring your house.  Take the precautions while you still can. 

Edited by Brian48

On 12/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, Brian48 said:

Really sorry to hear that.  I can relate.  In '97, virtually my entire vintage sports card collection was stolen in a break-in.  Nothing was ever recovered. Add insult to injury, the police caught the guy with a few cards still in his possession, but I never got those back either.  They were "lost" by the PD while being held for evidence. I had some MAJOR cards in this collection, of which the lot would easily be in the six figures today.

For those who haven't had to go through this, I HIGHLY recommend you invest in both a safe and also a reliable security service monitoring your house.  Take the precautions while you still can. 

Dang, were you targeted or was it random? 

I stepped away for a bit to spend some time with the family, but was really moved by all the great responses to my post.  I don't believe we were targeted. Thieves broke in and just loaded up on whatever they could carry out.  I'm starting the painful process of checking my remaining comics against the registry to see what's missing. I may post a list of everything that was taken down the road.  It's just going to take a while to make my way through it.  Thanks again to all who took the time to offer advice.  Our collecting community is truly the best!  Be well everyone! 

I do want to mention that if anyone gets offered books with a white sticker on the back of the CGC bag they are stolen books. I used this as a means of tracking what I had input into the CGC database.  

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 6.40.36 PM.png

On 1/7/2022 at 9:41 PM, j9v said:

I stepped away for a bit to spend some time with the family, but was really moved by all the great responses to my post.  I don't believe we were targeted. Thieves broke in and just loaded up on whatever they could carry out.  I'm starting the painful process of checking my remaining comics against the registry to see what's missing. I may post a list of everything that was taken down the road.  It's just going to take a while to make my way through it.  Thanks again to all who took the time to offer advice.  Our collecting community is truly the best!  Be well everyone! 

I do want to mention that if anyone gets offered books with a white sticker on the back of the CGC bag they are stolen books. I used this as a means of tracking what I had input into the CGC database.  

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 6.40.36 PM.png

Other than maybe getting a house camera or insurance is there anything else you wished you did in retrospect?  

On 12/25/2021 at 5:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

#1) @j9v you mention the registry, do you still recommend posting things to the registry, or do you warn not to?

Was there any contention recently, just yes or no, as any specifics other than slabs and certs the police may only want in their information only.

Insurance? Cameras? residence or shop? Security? any friends or family told recently?

I'm not looking for these answers other than the 1st one, please answer that, but the rest are things to ask yourself and the police :foryou: 

sorry to hear truly

i would continue to use the registry. it's such a great resource.

i don't think the theft was tied to information listed there.