• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth a return trip?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Just received two boxes of graded comics fresh back from CGC and most slabs are in nice condition, but there are a handful that have some issues. Looking for opinions as to whether these are worth returning for reholder and how this will affect resale value? These are all either 9.8 or 9.6.  Some have lite scratches but a few have good size scuffing on the back. Took some quick pics but not easy to show with the reflective slabs. I realize that there is always a risk sending these slabs back and forth through the mail and going through the whole process is a bit aggravating.

IMG_3496.jpg.4e165e774c5fb98c314e791c985e71a1.jpg

IMG_3498.thumb.jpg.08469c4c4d478d9752fc6f23b77258b3.jpg

IMG_3499.thumb.jpg.8f004414bfcf56108775388d40d01aa6.jpg

I also have a 9.4 that came back with a bent corner (not the first time this happened to me). That one is going back.

IMG_3494.thumb.jpg.6318922abccfde9a8bc8861805ad2b77.jpg

IMG_3495.thumb.jpg.b6b67e3f29fb368101689e3543a6d2b8.jpg

On 12/28/2021 at 4:13 PM, djzombi said:

Depending on how long that scuff in the 2nd picture is, none of these imperfections bother me; certainly not enough to send back, wait a ton of time, and risk getting the books damaged in the process only to have the new holder also present with similar defects.

Scuff in the 2nd pic is about 4 inches.    Of the 47 slabs, 8 have scuff marks (all on back) and one has small scratch on top front. Six of the scuffs are about 1/2" and one about 1". If the scuffs were on the front I'd be more inclined to send them back. I'm definitely contacting CGC about the bent corner and the 4" scuff. I'm hesitant about returning the others for the very reasons you mentioned. I've returned books in the past, for scratches and debris, but with CGC's backlog these days it definitely won't be as quick a turn-around. :(

I would certainly contact them about the bent comic, and may as well get the worst ones reholdered if they let you.

I just ordered some goop that removes scratches and scuffs from plastic.  You could try that on the "minor issues".  Amazon.com: Polywatch Plastic Lens Scratch Remover : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

Not your job, should have been clear cases upon arrival, but reality is different than that perfect world we all dream of.  It if works, and only takes 5 minutes or so, I'd do the repair.

Just sent all ten back for a fix. Made sense to return them all instead of just the worst of the bunch. They should be received tomorrow and fingers crossed that they are back soon and in pristine condition.

On 1/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

I like the fact you are all over them and making sure things are right but this is kind of a mess and takes up even more of your time. Maybe some more come back with scratches and what then ? Could another one get bent ? It's almost like playing with fire. Let us know how this turns out.

Thanks. The last time I returned a slab because a corner was bent it came back with a smaller bend at the same spot. Luckily they were able to fix the fix without any damage to the book, so what you say can happen. CGC has been good about fixing scratches and debris in the past so lets hope they continue.

MyComicShop mentions scuffs, scratches (exterior & inner well) and debris in their description of the slabs they sell. Many are listed with some minor defect. :(