• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading "invisible" comics?
10 10

264 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2021 at 10:00 PM, Tony S said:

I might not fully understand what you mean when you say "much ado about nothing". 

I've collected comic books since 1967 and seriously as an adult since the early 1970's.  People thought comic book collecting "nothing" during those times. Adults that never grew up. 

It's not nothing and not silly anymore.  And the worlds leading grader of comic books needs to behave as though this is a legitimate art form and serious business.  They just graded blank sheets of clear acetate and pretended like they are invisible comic books. Comic books that ranged in grade from 1.8 to 9.8. In grading these sheets of acetate and pretending they are invisible comics, they broke numerous guidelines they normally follow (and subject our submitted real comic books to) . It's one sheet only, folded over. That's the same as a cover. Covers only get a NG (no grade) grade.  How did they authenticate they were legitimate? What's the actual difference between the 1.8's and the 9.8's? 

Barring some convincing explanation otherwise, it seems an  ill-advised partnership and an astonishingly irreverent poke at the  idea of even having comic books professionally graded and encapsulated. If CGC doesn't take grading and authentication of comic books seriously, who does? 

Oh, I take comic collecting seriously. I have over 10,000 of the things and have much invested in CGC submissions. I still can't get worked up over this. It's obviously a special situation and a bit of a goof, and I got my chuckle out of it. That's the limit of my reaction.

Sad, but not unexpected.  I doubt  Blackstone had anything to do with it, beyond upper management trying to justify their continued employment to their new corporate masters.

I don't know much about Bad Idea  but they seem to be pushing the envelope to see just how stupid the hobby can get.

On 12/31/2021 at 6:17 PM, Terry JSA said:

35B72D15-DB61-4B7F-8354-47448D403BD9.jpeg

C9F29F5F-B391-4B63-8A9F-011FBF63E100.jpeg

C444AD23-A028-4DD7-A9B5-2C4E0DB41942.jpeg

5F7DDB10-64A8-42AB-B7D4-BCE04A3EE530.jpeg

E0D48939-2CCD-4394-88F6-169A3CDEEA70.jpeg

This image makes it pretty clear that the "lower grade" slabs of this nonsense are not visibly defective; that is to say, the slabbed grade has no relationship to the condition of the acetate. CGC simply allowed Bad Idea to pay money for arbitrary, pre-determined grades on slabs.

Sure, they're dumb slabs. But they still are CGC slabs. How the hell are we supposed to believe whether you'll allow this on a real book someday?

Even PHX didn't make specific grades available for sale to third parties.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:02 PM, Qalyar said:

This image makes it pretty clear that the "lower grade" slabs of this nonsense are not visibly defective; that is to say, the slabbed grade has no relationship to the condition of the acetate. CGC simply allowed Bad Idea to pay money for arbitrary, pre-determined grades on slabs.

Sure, they're dumb slabs. But they still are CGC slabs. How the hell are we supposed to believe whether you'll allow this on a real book someday?

Even PHX didn't make specific grades available for sale to third parties.

I think this whole gimmick is dumb. :roflmao:

On 12/31/2021 at 7:42 PM, The Meta said:

Not the only one thinking it, probably not the only one saying it

BUT

Anyone giving money to Bad Idea, you're part of a problem with modern society and, please, just cut your losses at this point  

Actually, I'm starting to enjoy how much this is bothering people a little...and I have my run of "Odinn's Eye" to complete.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:54 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Actually, I'm starting to enjoy how much this is bothering people a little...and I have my run of "Odinn's Eye" to complete.

Honestly, I'm not one to chastise people on what they collect, its just you can't help but feel this company is in the business of pushing how hard they can to show people's greed and gullibility