• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading "invisible" comics?
10 10

264 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2021 at 7:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will check into this.  CGC is closed tomorrow so, it's possible I won't have a statement until next week.  

Your response is appreciated. I don't expect the management to craft a reply on a holiday, but I am definitely very interested to see what explanation is provided once they return...

:canofworms:

Edited by Qalyar

On 12/30/2021 at 9:00 PM, Tony S said:

Barring some convincing explanation otherwise, it seems an  ill-advised partnership and an astonishingly irreverent poke at the  idea of even having comic books professionally graded and encapsulated. If CGC doesn't take grading and authentication of comic books seriously, who does? 

It's a farce. All of it.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:39 PM, Qalyar said:

independence and neutrality

Didn't the Promise Collection destroy the last vestiges of this supposed neutrality? I guess not.

They're repeating independence and neutrality issues of 17 years ago. Remember this?

1315452_xl.thumb.jpg.1f096321f5d8a8632f7508fcc0ceefad.jpg

I thought 9.5s exist only when I make a typo in PGM.

Edited by grendelbo

On 12/30/2021 at 11:46 PM, grendelbo said:

Didn't the Promise Collection destroy the last vestiges of this supposed neutrality? I guess not.

They're repeating independence and neutrality issues of 17 years ago. Remember this?

1315452_xl.thumb.jpg.1f096321f5d8a8632f7508fcc0ceefad.jpg

I thought 9.5s exist only when I make a typo in PGM.

At least those had a unique label. And were 17 years ago, when CGC wasn't nearly so well established. And provided a made-up grade number that, well, being less than 9.6, isn't even really desirable on the random Moderns that got it.

I'm not trying to give an apologia for the Wizard First slabs. They were a bad idea. But they weren't as bad an idea as the Bad Idea bad idea 

On 12/31/2021 at 12:46 AM, grendelbo said:

I'm really behind on the news. What's the story with the Promise Collection?

I legitimately can't think of a single good and justifiable reason that these should have been accepted for grading as they are. Conversely, if done by Marvel, with an etching of the Invisible Woman logo on the cover, and a 4 page story inside, no matter how difficult to read, would at least be something different, and may have market appeal. As this is though? No. It's just nothing. 

Could  be a show about nothing 

Goes on for 9 years, has a terrible last show

Years later, someone says it was canceled and CGC gets right indignant about it, hinting, maybe there was something to a canceled theory

On 12/31/2021 at 11:12 PM, The Meta said:

Could  be a show about nothing 

Goes on for 9 years, has a terrible last show

Years later, someone says it was canceled and CGC gets right indignant about it, hinting, maybe there was something to a canceled theory

CGC has been very transparent about what they're doing here, and they encourage others to look straight through the books to the graders behind the slab. For maybe the first time ever, they're offering a look at what goes into the slab, and that's priceless. I encourage others to also come clear.