• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading "invisible" comics?
10 10

264 posts in this topic

Now publishers print and CGC grades invisible comic books. Seriously, if Reminds me of the children's story/folktale - The Emperor's New Clothes.

I'm surprised CGC would go along with such....gimmickry. One would hope the leading comic book grading and certification company took their business seriously. Not throw in with such foolishness.

Wouldn't all invisible comics grade a perfect 10? Any defects are....wait for it...INVISIBLE.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:46 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

This is like so last week.

My apologies. Has this been posted/commented on before? I searched and did not find anything here on the boards

The article itself is dated Dec 27 and the original Bleeding Cool article was just the day before - Dec 26. 

If it's been discussed I'm fine with mods removing it. 

On 12/30/2021 at 3:02 PM, Tony S said:

My apologies. Has this been posted/commented on before? I searched and did not find anything here on the boards

The article itself is dated Dec 27 and the original Bleeding Cool article was just the day before - Dec 26. 

If it's been discussed I'm fine with mods removing it. 

It was posted about last week in this thread, which was started when the bad idea company started having ideas.

On 12/30/2021 at 3:49 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

So the acetate is bare? They could have at least etched something onto there. What a stupid idea. 

I wonder if they put invisible ink on it.  So it LOOKS bare but it actually has wording under the proper light conditions.

I mean this is Bad Idea we are talking about.

On 12/30/2021 at 4:22 PM, Qalyar said:

So why is a book intentionally produced as a cover-only item, but with legitimate unique cover and interior art work, not considered eligible to be assigned grades; but this book, intentionally produced as a cover-only item but with no art or text or any production elements at all except for staples, qualify for grading beyond the CVR no-grade label??

BC no one has offered CGC the right amount of cash to do so yet, unlike what likely transpired here. 

On 12/30/2021 at 2:30 PM, Tony S said:
Now publishers print and CGC grades invisible comic books. Seriously, if Reminds me of the children's story/folktale - The Emperor's New Clothes.

I'm surprised CGC would go along with such....gimmickry. One would hope the leading comic book grading and certification company took their business seriously. Not throw in with such foolishness.

Wouldn't all invisible comics grade a perfect 10? Any defects are....wait for it...INVISIBLE.

Family Guy Done GIFs | Tenor

On 12/30/2021 at 4:52 PM, Qalyar said:

For that matter, grade aside, CGC is an authentication service. There are quite a few undergrounds, indies, APAs, fanzines, and even a few valuable rarities that CGC will not authenticate because they are deemed too easily reproduced. How was this eligible for authentication?? If I crack one of these out, can I resubmit it? Can I send it to CCS? If a case is damaged, is it eligible for reholdering? Even if it is damaged enough that case integrity is compromised, typically warranting a regrade? What happens if one of these is submitted for an in-house signing? And so on, turtles all the way down.

What were you thinking allowing this??

Some really good points here that I had not thought about. How hard would it be to trim a piece of acetate to size, fold it and stick a few staples in?  Then submit to CGC for authentication. 

On 12/30/2021 at 3:41 PM, Tony S said:

Some really good points here that I had not thought about. How hard would it be to trim a piece of acetate to size, fold it and stick a few staples in?  Then submit to CGC for authentication. 

They would know it was a fake when they do the page count.