• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defenders appreciation thread
3 3

75 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2024 at 7:04 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I've told this story before a couple of times on the Boards, but shortly after I decided to "get back into" collecting, my spouse and I went to dinner at one of her colleague's houses.  This was during Covid so there was a lot of discussion of "what have you been doing to fill the time?" and so forth.  As a result, I told the husband about the comic thing and he said, "Oh, my wife has a box of those around here somewhere."  This did two things - the first was verifying the whole "tell everyone you collect" strategery and the second was making my jaw hit the floor.  So we move into the living room to "let the ladies talk" and he goes into one of their spare rooms.  I'm thinking a cardboard box or something but he comes back with a full long box.  When I came to, I start flipping through it, and it's basically some D, E and F titles with quite a bit of Age mixing.  He tells me they were taking something to Goodwill and a guy was unloading box after box from a comic store that had folded and his wife, an art teacher, asked if she could have one for her students to use - just like Edgar Church.  The books ranged from 1975 to 1992 if you can imagine.  There weren't any huge books but these were in there and it was just after the speculation about this book was ramping up.

G-S Defenders - 3 - 1.jpg

G-S Defenders - 3 - 2.jpg

:x