• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You took that long to write this response as I updated the image 21 minutes ago?

I think your views are very biased when it comes to Captain Marvel and the MCU. Even when you are presented facts. That's not being open to discussion. That's you attempting to force your views.

I started writing then had to step away for a bit.

I'm not even really talking about Captain Marvel here, but using the film as an example among many (but we're in the Captain Marvel thread) of what a female writer/director can possibly bring to a film that has a female, or females, in the lead.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I started writing then had to step away for a bit.

I'm not even really talking about Captain Marvel here, but using the film as an example among many (but we're in the Captain Marvel thread) of what a female writer/director can possibly bring to a film that has a female, or females, in the lead.

Again, you were presented with actual facts where your assumption only a female director can successfully lead a female-based film is flawed. So no matter what, think again.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Again, you were presented with actual facts where your assumption only a female director can successfully lead a female-based film is flawed. So no matter what, think again.

I'm not sure what the context was of my post from a year and a half ago, but I'm pretty sure it was in response to somebody saying female directors suck or why get a female director or something like that. And in that response, I essentially said that as a fact in history, no solo male director has ever made a successful, much less good, solo female super-hero movie.

I'm not saying James Cameron or Quentin Tarantino(maybe not) can't make a decent female superhero flick, but perhaps an advantage of Patty Jenkins helming Wonder Woman, besides being a good storyteller and knowing how to direct action, was that maybe she brought a certain woman experience to the film and perhaps added a little authenticity to when presenting us the point of view of this woman Diana discovering herself or her interactions with her Queen mother or other women in the film. There even seemed to be a subtle woman's touch in the way Dr Poison was presented to us. Again, I think there can be a great advantage and perhaps a more complex film can be had if a smart woman director is helming a woman superhero film.

40 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Sure. At the same time, the above list of movies are pretty hardcore action flicks that kind of feature a lone woman(Thelma and Louise aside) doing hardcore action stuff. Agree, all good movies. But perhaps a female writer/director can bring a feminine experience that a male director might overlook because he's never seen life from the point of view of a woman or a sisterhood. For instance, in Captain Marvel, I'm not sure which parts of the film the directors Anna Boden or Ryan Fleck were responsible, but there were so many scenes between Carol and Maria, or Carol and Monica, and maybe even Carol and Minn-Erva, that seemed to come from a place of experience that I suspect were the result of Boden's directorial touch. Of course, any director can do a dialogue scene, but there seemed to be certain subtle touches or dialogue bits in the female to female interactions that, like I said, seemed to come from a place of experience.

How can you discern what a feminine experience is?

I'm not sure what the context was of my post from a year and a half ago, but I'm pretty sure it was in response to somebody saying female directors suck or why get a female director or something like that. And in that response, I essentially said that as a fact in history, no solo male director has ever made a successful, much less good, solo female super-hero movie.

I'm not saying James Cameron or Quentin Tarantino(maybe not) can't make a decent female superhero flick, but perhaps an advantage of Patty Jenkins helming Wonder Woman, besides being a good storyteller and knowing how to direct action, was that maybe she brought a certain woman experience to the film and perhaps added a little authenticity to when presenting us the point of view of this woman Diana discovering herself or her interactions with her Queen mother or other women in the film. There even seemed to be a subtle woman's touch in the way Dr Poison was presented to us. Again, I think there can be a great advantage and perhaps a more complex film can be had if a smart woman director is helming a woman superhero film.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Maybe a solid director no matter their gender can deliver a very entertaining to great female-led action-adventure film. Look at George Miller and how he handled Furiosa. Despite all she had gone through (told and untold - recognizing there was probably more abuse she experience than was revealed), her desire was to get back with her 'sisters' and taking along fellow female prisoners to freedom. As tough as Furiosa was in the film, her caring for others clearly came through with each scene. And when she found out her childhood memories of a fantastic memory of home ended up as a modern wasteland and she fell to the ground crying, it didn't take a female director to craft that scene. It just took someone of experience to lay out an emotional event in way to drive home the point there was no final safe place for her and the rest of the women to hide. They had to make the world better through their own actions.

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

Maybe a solid director no matter their gender can deliver a very entertaining to great female-led action-adventure film. Look at George Miller and how he handled Furiosa. Despite all she had gone through (told and untold - recognizing there was probably more abuse she experience than was revealed), her desire was to get back with her 'sisters' and taking along fellow female prisoners to freedom. As tough as Furiosa was in the film, her caring for others clearly came through with each scene. And when she found out her childhood memories of a fantastic memory of home ended up as a modern wasteland and she fell to the ground crying, it didn't take a female director to craft that scene. It just took someone of experience to lay out an emotional event in way to drive home the point there was no final safe place for her and the rest of the women to hide. They had to make the world better through their own actions.

Good stories are for both sexes. A female-led film should appeal to everyone; Not just girls and women.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:
19 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

How can you discern what a feminine experience is?

Right? Mansplaining at its worst. So offensive.

Unless it identifies as a woman? If so, apologies, domina!

It's a fair question. I am a dude. And if it's here in the CGC boards, I believe it'd be mansplaining to other men for the most part. How about just the point of view of somebody who loves to analyze film and maybe even took a few film courses in college? Maybe film studier-splaining?

Sure, as a dude, I don't know what the female experience is.  But maybe I might possibly can detect it when I see it in a movie when compared to so many other films in the past made by guys, like me.

I'll elaborate more on this with examples later, got to run and do life things.

Sure, as a dude, I don't know what the female experience is.  But maybe I might possibly can detect it when I see it in a movie when compared to so many other films in the past made by guys, like me.

So you think that - as a man - you're better-able to discern the female experience than other men?

What if I believe in reincarnation and I was a female in my previous life? Doesn't that trump your assumptions of the female experience?

5 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

So you think that - as a man - you're better-able to discern the female experience than other men?

What if I believe in reincarnation and I was a female in my previous life? Doesn't that trump your assumptions of the female experience?

I will say I am better at analyzing films than a lot of other dudes I know, yes.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:48 AM, Angel of Death said:

No, she didn't. Captain Marvel's financial success is due to being sandwiched between Infinity War and Endgame. Her performance is woefully plank, and without Sam Jackson's Nick Jury, surely would be a bomb. Hence the follow-up to that movie being reconfigured to a team-up rather than a faithful sequel. Good on Marvel Studios for recognizing their weakest characters.

I look forward to Spider-Man taking over as the franchise's leader with his 3rd self-titled film.

These are all just opinions and assumptions. The success due to sandwiching is factually incorrect because by that logic, Ant Man and the Wasp should have done as well and yet it only made half what Captain marvel did. Both films star a male and female duo and were sandwiched between two big films, leading into Endgame, yet one made double. 

Anyways, just wanted to come and say that if anyone wants to watch a great Brie Larson flick, try Trainwreck. She isn't the star but adds a lot to the film and I was impressed with the levity she could add to a film even though she is best known for more dramatic or stoic performances. It shows she has a bunch of range. Actors are good at their job and simply do what is asked of them for the role they are given. If ever the acting doesn't work for someone, it could just as easily be the director's fault for what they asked from the actors.

Edited by William-James88

16 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It's a fair question. I am a dude. And if it's here in the CGC boards, I believe it'd be mansplaining to other men for the most part. How about just the point of view of somebody who loves to analyze film and maybe even took a few film courses in college? Maybe film studier-splaining?

I'll elaborate more on this with examples later, got to run and do life things.

So...a female director can't helm a solid male-led action flick?

Kathryn Bigelow - and her Oscar - would disagree.

And even if the rumors are true that James Cameron ghost-directed Strange Days, Point Break is still a classic.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

These are all just opinions and assumptions. The success due to sandwiching is factually incorrect because by that logic, Ant Man and the Wasp should have done as well and yet it only made half what Captain marvel did. Both films star a male and female duo and were sandwiched between two big films, leading into Endgame, yet one made double. 

Anyways, just wanted to come and say that if anyone wants to watch a great Brie Larson flick, try Trainwreck. She isn't the star but adds a lot to the film and I was impressed with the levity she could add to a film even though she is best known for more dramatic or stoic performances. It shows she has a bunch of range. Actors are good at their job and simply do what is asked of them for the role they are given. If ever the acting doesn't work for someone, it could just as easily be the director's fault for what they asked from the actors.

Ant-Man and the Wasp weren't paged by Nick Fury at the end of Infinity War, so... Yeah, most people would say that a monumental amount of financial success is thanks to both Avengers films for making her seem important to that pivotal story.

4 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

He is white knighting. So he has taken it upon himself to speak for them, or at least imagine what the average woman would say.

Yes, having different voices in the creative process can and does bring new and unique perspectives, but it can also become crippling if you take that idea to an extreme place.  Are we heading to place in entertainment were people can only write and create characters that share their inborn characteristics?  So every project must have a specific writer to handle just those characters that are like them? I can imagine that would create a massive and almost unworkable writers room and creative team, that would severely hinder the creative process giving us films created by committee as opposed to a single unified vision.  A place where making sure we represent each unique voice ultimately overrides whatever story is trying to be told.

Just now, Angel of Death said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp weren't paged by Nick Fury at the end of Infinity War, so... Yeah, most people would say that a monumental amount of financial success is thanks to both Avengers films for making her seem important to that pivotal story.

BS.

It's the technology introduced in Ant-Man and the Wasp that literally enabled the time travel pivotal to the team's success in Endgame.

Captain Marvel was a top tier MCU flick that would have stood on its own - far better (for example) than:

• Incredible Hulk
  • Captain America
  • Iron Man 2
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • Doctor Strange
  • Ant-Man
  • Ant-Man & the Wasp
  • Age of Ultron

And (again) Brie's performance fit the role - she's a USAF fighter pilot who has had to outperform her peers every step of the way.

Or would y'all have preferred she crack jokes the whole time and misplay the character as much as Ryan Reynolds did with Hal Jordan?

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

BS.

It's the technology introduced in Ant-Man and the Wasp that literally enabled the time travel pivotal to the team's success in Endgame.

Captain Marvel was a top tier MCU flick that would have stood on its own - far better (for example) than:

• Incredible Hulk

And (again) Brie's performance fit the role - she's a USAF fighter pilot who has had to outperform her peers every step of the way.

Or would y'all have preferred she crack jokes the whole time and misplay the character as much as Ryan Reynolds did with Hal Jordan?

It's not BS, because she was literally paged at the end of the only MCU film with a cliffhanger. Ant-Man and the Wasp were not.

Fixed your list for ya.

I'd rather her have any sort of compelling personality. 2c