• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

If China continues to lock out the MCU, probably won’t equal the first film’s box office.  However, The Marvels will be the last MCU film of 2023. Given that and fewer back to back MCU Disney+ shows, The Marvels will be the only game in town for a while. Plus, with Nia DaCosta directing, I’m guaranteeing it will at least be a good movie that will stand up to repeat viewings. The Marvels will make way more than $550 million box office, no matter how many weak Alita challenges you throw at it. 

yeah, because Raimi, Waititi, Coogler delivered such gems this year meh

On 12/28/2022 at 4:00 PM, paperheart said:

yeah, because Raimi, Waititi, Coogler delivered such gems this year meh

MoM and Wakanda Forever are both $800 million box office gems (yes, they’re both good movies). WF itself was up against less interest outside North and South America. Even the first Black Panther did poorly in China. There is higher interest for Captain Marvel on an international level. Space adventures are popular internationally. The Marvels will do just fine. In fact, I predict each Phase Five film will outperform any Phase Four film besides No Way Home. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 12/29/2022 at 7:56 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

MoM and Wakanda Forever are both $800 million box office gems (yes, they’re both good movies). WF itself was up against less interest outside North and South America. Even the first Black Panther did poorly in China. There is higher interest for Captain Marvel on an international level. Space adventures are popular internationally. The Marvels will do just fine. In fact, I predict each Phase Five film will outperform any Phase Four film besides No Way Home. 

I love that 'internationally' is a homogeneous blob of people. Typical american. 

On 12/28/2022 at 5:38 PM, paperheart said:

'gems' lol you need to get out more, although I do see one CBM on the list

image.thumb.png.75edda142eaed60ac4ab3a93f6644f62.png

In that sense, I believe Marvel Studios has only produced one film that stuck-up critics would call a “gem”, Black Panther, which is a comic book movie diamond.    How about MoM and WF are comic book movie pearls?

Also, I saw Glass Onion yesterday. That movie’s no gem. Okay, but no gem.

On 12/28/2022 at 6:29 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

In that sense, I believe Marvel Studios has only produced one film that stuck-up critics would call a “gem”, Black Panther, which is a comic book movie diamond.    How about MoM and WF are comic book movie pearls?

when the Daniels get hired for an MCU gig, remind me about the stuck up critics :banana:

On 12/28/2022 at 9:29 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

You mean the spoilers about Captain Marvel, Akwafina and Wong showing up to save the day weren't true?  

On 12/28/2022 at 9:38 PM, paperheart said:

when the Daniels get hired for an MCU gig, remind me about the stuck up critics :banana:

Unless you’re a Batman movie full of deep dark adult metaphors, the very presence of “comic book superhero” in front of “movie” invites conflict from the critics who are as guilty of being part of the zeitgeist as anything else. Maybe some critics  feel Mr. Darlin’ Scorsese’s last comic book movie rant gave them permission to finally start trying to tear down the king of the pop culture mountain. 

On 12/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Unless you’re a Batman movie full of deep dark adult metaphors, the very presence of “comic book superhero” in front of “movie” invites conflict from the critics who are as guilty of being part of the zeitgeist as anything else. Maybe some critics  feel Mr. Darlin’ Scorsese’s last comic book movie rant gave them permission to finally start trying to tear down the king of the pop culture mountain. 

Darlin's (sic) worst movie is better than 95% of all CBM tripe.

On 12/29/2022 at 5:22 PM, paperheart said:

Darlin's (sic) worst movie is better than 95% of all CBM tripe.

Is it? Scorsese’s worst reviewed film is probably Shutter Island, his one try at psychological horror. I have to agree. What is even the point of the movie? I know there is one somewhere, but who cares? I’d take ‘Superman, ‘89 Batman, a handful of Spider-Man and X-Men flicks, Dark Knight, and several MCU films over Shutter Island. 

On 12/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Is outperforming phase 4 movies that high a benchmark for a franchise with multiple billion plus films? All phase 4 movies underperformed or outright bombed by MCU standards.  

Both Top Gun and Avatar prove that big films with a wider general appeal can still do great, and can maintain or gain business through word of mouth.  These are movies with legs. This proves these movies and franchises are gaining new fans. All the recent MCU films have shown they have a hard core group of fans, that all see it in the first week or two, then the films crash.  Having movies that are consistently so front loaded with zero legs, is not an indication of a healthy, growing franchise. Because, the MCU is no longer growing a fan base, as shown by having no legs, all films will continue to have slowly diminishing returns.  

On 1/3/2023 at 8:41 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Though I'm sure your comment is in jest, the American people reject his way of thinking. :foryou:

Well, the American entertainment industry thinks that way. Domestic vs international box office behavior and expectations is a big driver for what gets produced and how. A lot of that is due to the language or cultural difference. Wordy English speaking dramas don’t do as well overseas because of the language barrier so they aren’t marketed as much overseas. However, American movies with less talking, such as sci-fi action movies, get produced with a global audience in mind. Same with American movies that deal with US history. Depending on the particular historical subject, international audiences are perceived to not give a rat’s butt about those kinds of movies, so they aren’t marketed as much overseas. The box office numbers alone show that there is generally more interest domestically for the Black Panther movies because of America’s large black demographic, as opposed to anywhere else outside Africa. In turn, a movie like The Marvels will probably do better internationally than Wakanda Forever.

On 1/3/2023 at 4:38 AM, Bosco685 said:

hm

Zen Wells has won Emmies for his work on Robot Chicken. He is the current writer of The Amazing Spider-Man comic. He co-wrote one episode of She-Hulk, Episode 7 “The Retreat” which featured Emil Blonsky and was one of the better episodes.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:53 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Zen Wells has won Emmies for his work on Robot Chicken. He is the current writer of The Amazing Spider-Man comic. He co-wrote one episode of She-Hulk, Episode 7 “The Retreat” which featured Emil Blonsky and was one of the better episodes.

Why of course

:shiftyeyes:

On 1/3/2023 at 1:03 PM, Bosco685 said:

Why of course

:shiftyeyes:

Because, in today's world winning an emmy for a comedy central animated show, writing one episode of a MCU show, and writing a comic means you have all the skills, and knowledge to write a major, big budget motion picture.  

I looked up his IMBD, he has written exclusively for TV, except for two Robot Chicken TV movies.  Most of what he is credited with have been very small and something the vast majority of the public has never seen. He has not done anything remotely close to this size or prominence. I am not saying he does not have talent, but he has no significant track record for this type of project.  So why would you give him this job.  Sorry, writing a movie screen play is a specific skill, there is no proof he has that skill. He may one day be a great screen writer, but his resume is thin to non existent when it comes to movies right now. Seems to me he should have a few movies under his belt before being given a big part in a $200 billion plus project.