• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2022 at 3:25 PM, Gatsby77 said:

DC absolutely expected Justice League Part 1 to do $1+ billion worldwide - even after BvS fell short of $900 million.

I am so glad years ago when I saw you weaponizing box office results for your narrative I learned to do my own detailed analysis. Thank you!

You do realize when we compare the first 6 movies between the two franchises, the DCEU comes out on top - right? WB Studios executives were just too goofy to pick up on that.

DCEU_MCU.thumb.JPG.d2e7d2490651027d7549edb7f09641a4.JPG

I know. I know. "But the MCU came out earlier and had to fight to gain attention comic book movies were a serious business." I gotcha covered. 41 earlier movies - including the Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man franchises laid solid groundwork. And right before Iron Man we had The Dark Knight to kick off 2008.

CBM_List.png.a9025f64b22a71e0a725b2dc58bb0334.png

Edited by Bosco685
CORRECTION: Dark Knight released before Iron Man

Personally, I thought the last Batman was a snoozefest. But, I respect the others whom disagree, and made it a fairly successful profit.

I don't really agree with the assertion that 1Billion was a given for CM. Justice league had a huge villain comparable to Thanos (Darksied though not very visible). If they reached out to Green Lantern for help at the end, and the result was anything like Ryan Reynolds version, I highly doubt it would have reached a billion. That's just my personal opininon.

Edited by bronze_rules

Metas guide to movies

Ironman 1 Great

Ironman 2 Not so great

Ironman 3 Sucked

Captain America All sucked, Civil War was cool

Avengers Great

Avengers Ultron Good

Avengers Endgame and Infinity Great 

Guardians 1 Great

Guardians 2 Not so great

AntMan 1 Great 

AntMan 2 Ok

Dr. Strange Awesome

Dr 2 Sucked donkey balls

Loki Great!

WandaVision Ok

On 9/14/2022 at 5:56 PM, bronze_rules said:

Personally, I thought the last Batman was a snoozefest. But, I respect the others whom disagree, and made it a fairly successful profit.

I don't really agree with the assertion that 1Billion was a given for CM. Justice league had a huge villain comparable to Thanos (Darksied though not very visible). If they reached out to Green Lantern for help at the end, and the result was anything like Ryan Reynolds version, I highly doubt it would have reached a billion. That's just my personal opininon.

I appreciate your views. I do.

But your memory may be off on this. Darkseid was mentioned one time in the entirety of Justice League (2017) and was never even seen. That's how badly they screwed up the movie. Then the CEO forced them to cut down 'its Avengers movie' to 2 hours total. The studio deserved that L it earned. Zack Snyder's Justice League conveyed how much they cut out of the original movie, and was lightyears ahead of that garbage.

On 9/14/2022 at 4:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

My wife and I went to an afternoon show in 3-D when her parents came to watch the kids.

This in 3-D was incredible. My wife walked out with me and said, "Now that was amazing!"

:womanhero:

This is my favorite scene for the simple fact its almost exactly how I envision an alternate dimension 

I LOVE Dormammu and eagerly await to see more of him

On 9/14/2022 at 4:50 PM, Bosco685 said:

I am so glad years ago when I saw you weaponizing box office results for your narrative I learned to do my own detailed analysis. Thank you!

You do realize when we compare the first 6 movies between the two franchises, the DCEU comes out on top - right? WB Studios executives were just too goofy to pick up on that.

I know. I know. "But the MCU came out earlier and had to fight to gain attention comic book movies were a serious business." I gotcha covered. 41 earlier movies - including the Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man franchises laid solid groundwork. And right before Iron Man we had The Dark Knight to kick off 2008.

You forgot The Crow (1994)

Personally, I would think Dr. Strange following the heels of Spider-Man and the disturbance of the multiverse should have made Strange a billion dollar movie. Now that had momentum. On top of that, the trailer and the waiting were extremely inviting. That didn't happen. People simply didn't like it enough to make that so -- momentum or not.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/14/2022 at 4:12 PM, bronze_rules said:

Personally, I would think Dr. Strange following the heels of Spider-Man and the disturbance of the multiverse should have made Strange a billion dollar movie. Now that had momentum. On top of that, the trailer and the waiting were extremely inviting. That didn't happen. People simply didn't like it enough to make that so -- momentum or not.

I usually don't involve myself much in movies any more, but Strange 2 was a gigantic disappointment for me

On 9/14/2022 at 6:11 PM, D84 said:

You forgot The Crow (1994)

I know. My tracking is just Marvel and DC films. Because even Hellboy (2004) and Hellboy II (2008) helped build upon strong CBM legs. Though their results were just okay at the box office.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:16 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Nah - I'm just offering a counter-weight to the repeated assertions by a small but vocal minority here that the film sucked - and, more specifically, that Brie Larsen's acting in it was sub-par.

Neither is true.

More importantly, the film doesn't need defending by me, Silvermane or anyone else

Its results - an A Cinemascore ranking by moviegoers and $1.1+ billion box office - speak for themselves. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 12.09.59 PM.png

Thats your gauge? Cinemascore? Where Catwoman and Green Lantern are rated with a B? 

C0E8B9DF-A4E4-4C1B-8DF4-B45ED4AD2D10.jpeg

On 9/14/2022 at 7:16 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Nah - I'm just offering a counter-weight to the repeated assertions by a small but vocal minority here that the film sucked - and, more specifically, that Brie Larsen's acting in it was sub-par.

Neither is true.

More importantly, the film doesn't need defending by me, Silvermane or anyone else

Its results - an A Cinemascore ranking by moviegoers and $1.1+ billion box office - speak for themselves. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 12.09.59 PM.png

That’s your gauge? CinemaScore. Where Catwoman and Green Lantern come out with B’s? Where Shawshank Redemption and 2 Fast 2 Furious get the same grade?  Thats the hill?  Thats the hill you choose?

Here’s a better gauge than CS and Rotten T below even though I think a 64 is very generous.

And don’t mind the user reviews, thats part of Spanky’s Women-Haters club. 

D3E585FD-9124-4895-A49E-54316681822D.jpeg

On 9/14/2022 at 2:50 PM, Bosco685 said:

Your budget for aquaman is still wrong- it was 200MM, not 160MM- thus negating your entire point.  

But even with the wrong budget for aquaman, warner spent an average of about 45MM more per movie, to reach a comparable result as Disney, while Disney was trotting out what were, at the time, B and C list characters (Thor and Iron Man), and Warner was using its most famous and recognizable right out the gate (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman).

Hence, why Warner felt the need to course correct.

Granted, things only got worse after the course correction (Birds of Prey, flop, WW 84, flop, The suicide squad, flop).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 9/15/2022 at 5:17 AM, Jaydogrules said:

But even with the wrong budget for aquaman, warner spent an average of about 45MM more per movie, to reach a comparable result as Disney, while Disney was trotting out what were, at the time, B and C list characters (Thor and Iron Man), and Warner was using its most famous and recognizable right out the gate (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman).

Hence, why Warner felt the need to course correct.

-J.

You've been well indoctrinated into the mythos 'the MCU started with nothing and squeezed out gold'. Even though before Avengers (2012) the revenue results were all over the place.

Ignore all the early and successful brand and character establishment from the 1966 Marvel animated shows with Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America and beyond. The constant imagery with those characters to include the mass Captain America branding recognized by even non-comic book people from events like the American Bicentennial where Marvel pushed his image extensively. 5 seasons of the wildly popular The Incredible Hulk TV series. All the Marvel characters that laid the groundwork like Blade, X-Men, Spider-Man. None of that matters, because 'little Marvel' had to fight it's way forward with nothing.

And with Aquaman's budget and your "I know the real numbers' confusion, let's reference a box office aggregator and other reports. Though of course you'll gravitate towards anything higher to support your narrative.

theNumbers:

1737407141_Screenshot_20220915-0535342.thumb.png.eb5cf6a47395a1cee55266de0b12ddfe.png

The Insider: $160M production budget

Screen Rant: $160M production budget

Once Deadline pushed $200M as the number that was the reference point. From the same source that under-quotes Disney productions but over-quotes other studios. The same guy that noted The Last Jedi only cost $200M yet even Box Office Mojo reported $317M.

Good times. Good times, indeed.