• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2023 at 9:38 AM, 1Cool said:

Very, very optimistic.  I know I'm not their target audience but that looked horrible.  Secret Invasion looks promising but this looks like a train wreck. 

How on Earth did that look horrible? So far, it looks like a standard outer space MCU movie just like Guardians of the Galaxy or the last two Thor films. What about it looks like a train wreck?

On 4/11/2023 at 9:43 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

How on Earth did that look horrible? So far, it looks like a standard outer space MCU movie just like Guardians of the Galaxy or the last two Thor films. What about it looks like a train wreck?

The last Thor was a train wreck on pretty much all fronts so that is a bad example.  The last Guardians was fine (not nearly as good as the 1st one) but the Marvels looks like it hops all over the place without a concise plot and I'm really getting sick of anything close to a multiverse type of flick.  Nothing about the preview appealed to me in the slightest but like I said it's obviously geared to a much younger audience so maybe I just don't get it.  I may . . may watch it when it streams but there is no way in heck I'm seeing it in the theaters.

Edited by 1Cool

On 4/11/2023 at 9:45 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

In this trailer, most of the comedy seems to be coming from Kamala Khan. Otherwise, it looks to have a ton of action. And flerkens.

I hope you like it. I hope it's good & a success. To me, it seems like it'll do nothing to help the current state of MCU affairs, and may very well harm it. 

On 4/11/2023 at 9:47 AM, 1Cool said:

The last Thor was a train wreck on pretty much all fronts so that is a bad example.  The last Guardians was fine (not nearly as good as the 1st one) but the Marvels looks like it hops all over the place without a concise plot and I'm really getting sick of anything close to a multiverse type of flick.  Nothing about the preview appealed to me in the slightest but like I said it's obviously geared to a much younger audience so maybe I just don't get it.  I may . . may watch it when it streams but there is no way in heck I'm seeing it in the theaters.

This isn’t geared for kids. It’s made for MCU fans and  also looks to appeal to an international audience. 

The MCU has two looks. The fun adventure movie established by Iron Man, and the serious darker movie established by Captain America Winter Soldier. Like 70% of Marvel movies, The Marvels looks to be the fun adventure type. Marvel can’t go 100% Winter Soldier Secret Invasion look just because of some backlash to the humor of Thor Love and Thunder ( though IMO it’s a kinda lazy -script that actually hurt L&T, not the humor). 

Also, it’s a teaser trailer. You can’t tell a movie’s plot from a teaser trailer. I guarantee the movie wouldn’t have been greenlit until there was a plot and a screenplay.

All I'm going to say is that the apparent premise - that these three people have had their powers "entangled" and now keep humorously swapping places with each other - does not fill me with optimism.  It may very well have the Thor Love and Thunder issue of someone thinking that all humor all the time is the best way to go with Marvel movies.  And it's really not (imo).  

On 4/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, Axelrod said:

All I'm going to say is that the apparent premise - that these three people have had their powers "entangled" and now keep humorously swapping places with each other - does not fill me with optimism.  It may very well have the Thor Love and Thunder issue of someone thinking that all humor all the time is the best way to go with Marvel movies.  And it's really not (imo).  

But all Marvel movies, unless it’s Captain America or political/espionage thriller themed, have humor in their DNA. That goes all the way back to the first Iron Man movie. Love and Thunder had other issues besides the obvious humor.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/11/2023 at 10:15 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

This isn’t geared for kids. It’s made for MCU fans and  also looks to appeal to an international audience. 

The MCU has two looks. The fun adventure movie established by Iron Man, and the serious darker movie established by Captain America Winter Soldier. Like 70% of Marvel movies, The Marvels looks to be the fun adventure type. Marvel can’t go 100% Winter Soldier Secret Invasion look just because of some backlash to the humor of Thor Love and Thunder ( though IMO it’s a kinda lazy --script that actually hurt L&T, not the humor). 

Also, it’s a teaser trailer. You can’t tell a movie’s plot from a teaser trailer. I guarantee the movie wouldn’t have been greenlit until there was a plot and a screenplay.

I don't think it's geared towards kids but it has a teen movie vibe and as a nearly 50 year old it just doesn't appeal to me.  All movies don't need me as an audience but it definitely helps to pull in the 40 - 50 year old male audience when you are talking about a comic book movie.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:22 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

But all Marvel movies, unless it’s Captain America or political thriller themed, have humor in their DNA. That goes all the way back to the first Iron Man movie. Love and Thunder had other issues besides the obvious humor.

I understand that all Marvel movies have had humor in them, even Winter Soldier, Infinity War, and Endgame.  I am saying that it is possible to lean too far into the humor.  And this trailer, at least, only seems to be emphasizing that.  

And I would counter-argue to you that the majority of Thor Love and Thunder's issues sprang from the attempt to make it funny.  Someone (the director, I am assuming) saw how well Ragnarok was received and concluded that it was because it was funnier than the previous Thor movies.  And then they just leaned way into that.