• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, 1Cool said:

I don't think it's geared towards kids but it has a teen movie vibe and as a nearly 50 year old it just doesn't appeal to me.  All movies don't need me as an audience but it definitely helps to pull in the 40 - 50 year old male audience when you are talking about a comic book movie.

I have no clue who their market is supposed to be.  The best I can guess is teenagers.  I don't know any teenager who's excited about this or any of the uhhhh.....heroes in this. If their smart they'll knock this all the way back a month before the next Avengers movie and hype up you need to watch this as it will go along with the Avenger movie. Oh dang never mind they did that for the first Captain Marvel already.

Edited by thegiftedone45

On 4/11/2023 at 11:13 AM, drotto said:

One of the main things fans are sick of is Marvel humor.  So what is Marvel's response?  Double, no triple down on Marvel humor!!!

Oh, and aim it at teenage girls, who are possibly the least likely group to want to see an MCU film.

:cheers:

Never underestimate the power of girl power. Also, not just teenage girls, but older woman girls both white black and brown. And cat lovers. 

About the humor, yes the trailer uses a fun Beast Boys song, but the humor really seems to come from Kamala Khan. Carol and Monica as the adults in the room seem to be playing it more serious, in the trailer anyway. 

It’s a fun trailer, no doubt, that appeals to younger folks. But Nia DaCosta, the director, cut her teeth on serious films. I’m sure that’s in here, too. One teaser trailer at a time?

On 4/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, Axelrod said:

I understand that all Marvel movies have had humor in them, even Winter Soldier, Infinity War, and Endgame.  I am saying that it is possible to lean too far into the humor.  And this trailer, at least, only seems to be emphasizing that.  

And I would counter-argue to you that the majority of Thor Love and Thunder's issues sprang from the attempt to make it funny.  Someone (the director, I am assuming) saw how well Ragnarok was received and concluded that it was because it was funnier than the previous Thor movies.  And then they just leaned way into that.  

Not a single person criticizing the MCU's humor lately is doing so for it being present at all, as you precisely narrate. It's all about volume. As I mentioned in another thread, Iron Man has very long stretches which lack jokes/quips. Marvel has been severely lacking those heartfelt, serious, and dramatic moments since Endgame (aside from Spider-Man, can't believe we have Sony to thank for something).

On 4/11/2023 at 11:20 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Never underestimate the power of girl power. Also, not just teenage girls, but older woman girls both white black and brown. And cat lovers. 

About the humor, yes the trailer uses a fun Beast Boys song, but the humor really seems to come from Kamala Khan. Carol and Monica as the adults in the room seem to be playing it more serious, in the trailer anyway. 

It’s a fun trailer, no doubt, that appeals to younger folks. But Nia DaCosta, the director, cut her teeth on serious films. I’m sure that’s in here, too. One teaser trailer at a time?

My wife and daughter despized Captian Marvel, and they are not seeing a movie for a cat. Most of the women and girls I know are sick of the "girl power" the way it is being presented here. Unless they are like 6 years old.  It is tired, pandering, repetitive,  and dull. The rest of my friends no longer care about the MCU.  We used to see every movie as a large group (10 plus minimum), release weekend.  Now now nobody even realizes they are coming out.

Edited by drotto

On 4/11/2023 at 11:40 AM, drotto said:

Remember when Spider-Man had a dance number in it? :baiting:

Peter Parker doesn’t dance.

The planet Aladna ruled by Prince Yan communicates through song-like rhyme. It’s from the Kelly Sue Deconnick Captain Marvel stories. So, it’s from the comics.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/11/2023 at 12:20 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Peter Parker doesn’t dance.

The planet Aladna ruled by Prince Yan communicates through song-like rhyme. It’s from the Kelly Sue Deconnick Captain Marvel stories. So, it’s from the comics.

The comic that was canceled again for like the 4th time last month? The comic that never moved more than like 15,000 books in a month.  Great source. 

Also, what new audience are they going to pull?  This will be the 34th MCU film (may be iff on that), and it requires watching two MCU streaming shows to make sense. If people are not watching yet, it is going to be an exceedingly hard sell it to new people . That is a lot of homework. Even moreso to a demagraphic less likely to watch these typs of movies. I doubt there is some magic untapped audience, you can only lose your existing audience.  No matter how you cut it, the stats clearly show more men then women watch superhero movies.  The only film to shift more women at 51% was the first Wonder Woman.

Also your vaunted Captilain Marvel movie was 55% male viewers, and that did everything to get females into the movies.  It was also the most female centric film in the MCU (now arguable with Black Widow, and MoM).  I really think your femographic cap is about around 55 men to 45 women.  Overall, the MCU viewership is 56 to 44.

On 4/11/2023 at 1:20 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Grace Randolph seems to have a dumbfounded look on her face that Marvel released a trailer this soon, after "scooping" a month or two ago that The Marvels was falling apart or something. I think she even says "I'm surprised!"

I can't watch anything with that Grace Randolph, her voice and inflection are like knives to my ears.  She could be sing praises or cursing it out, I still can't watch it.