• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2023 at 6:46 PM, media_junkie said:

Had the Marvels not started filming until after they saw the box office for Ant Man 3, then yes I would agree that it was the wake up call, but kind of hard for the studio to make significant changes to "The Marvels" at this late date without pushing this movie out yet again (which would speak volumes about the lack of quality).

And if you really think Paul Rudd/Ant-Man can carry a 2 billion movie you are seriously drinking the MCU Kool-aid.  Paul Rudd (while I find him funny) is a mid-level actor at best.  The crime was Marvel Studios spending so freaking much on an Ant-man movie, when they had 2 previous ones that were "average" returns at best.

I was being sarcastic (for no good reason) about Paul Rudd being able to carry a 2 billion dollar movie.

On 4/11/2023 at 3:13 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Doesn’t matter. Comics culture is still at the top of the pop culture pyramid. Disney and WB Discovery own the two major comics lines so they can afford to keep publishing comics as they go hand in hand with the billion dollar comic book movies. Also, traditional monthly paoer comics aren’t the only way people read comics these days. TPB collections and comic book apps are also popular. 

So were Westerns. So was SciFi. So was action adventure. So were War films.  on and on and on and on......

The comic movie, much to the chagrin of our plastic crack addiction, will fall and is falling as we speak.   All good things must come to an end.  Comics are only the top of the pile, because culture has not crowned the next king of the mountain. The big difference from 5 years ago, is that culture is actively looking. 

On 4/11/2023 at 8:32 PM, october said:

I would bet a decent chunk of change that 5-10 years from now something else (likely video game adaptations) will occupy the cultural position comic movies now hold. The worm is already turning with the success of Mario Bros.

I doubt it, especially video games. Super Mario Bros is universally loved, so it’s a no-brainer the movie would do well, but I’m not sure you can make an expanded movie universe of Mario with complex stories the way you can with the MCU, Star Wars, or Star Trek. Video games are perfect as they are and lose a little when you try to make a movie out of them. Plus, there are so many different video games that are popular and then lose their trendiness. Spider-Man Batman Superman Hulk etc have been part pop culture since the 20th century and are modern myths. Superheroes aren’t going anywhere. Disney will make sure of that.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/11/2023 at 9:26 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I doubt it, especially video games. Super Mario Bros is universally loved, so it’s a no-brainer the movie would do well, but I’m not sure you can make an expanded movie universe of Mario with complex stories the way you can with the MCU, Star Wars, or Star Trek. Video games are perfect as they are and lose a little when you try to make a movie out of them. Plus, there are so many different video games that are popular and then lose their trendiness. Spider-Man Batman Superman Hulk etc have been part pop culture since the 20th century and are modern myths. Superheroes aren’t going anywhere. Disney will make sure of that.

If Zelda is done how Zelda should be done, and Metroid is handled how a Metroid movie should be handled, meaning they don’t try to copy the format and humor of Mario Bros., I think you could have a compelling “Nintendo Univese”

I’d see an Ocarina of Time movie more than that guy who saw CM1 100 bajillion times. 

On 4/11/2023 at 9:26 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

So you completely discount more mature games like the Last of Us? Seems to me that has been worlds more successful than any of the MCU streaming shows. And your argument ignores, most of the characters the MCU is trying to forward now,  are not household names.  They have a limited history. With Millennials and Gen Z, these games and characters are far far better known, than any of the ones Disney has been putting out recently. Also there are many franchises that have been around for years now; Mario, Metroid, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto, etc.  They keep coming out with more sequels, they are not flash in the pan, they are established IP's. Nintendo is a company on the same cultural level as Disney. Marvel and DC are cultural cornerstones for our generation, video games are that cornerstone for those younger than us.

No Superheroes are not going away, but they are not going to be the top of the heap for long. Disney has far less power then you think.  The Mario movie is a massive challenge to Disney's animation supremacy.  In fact over the last few year Illumination's films have out performed Disney's animation offerings.  Things change. Video game movies and shows are on the rise, and will be hard to stop. 

Edited by drotto

On 4/11/2023 at 8:26 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Video game popularity absolutely dwarfs the entire movie industry, let alone the super hero segment. Movie adaptations of games haven't been successful because they have been absolutely abysmal, almost without exception. Once Hollywood figures them out, and they will certainly try given Mario and The Last of Us, video game adaptations will likely be the next best thing.

I agree that Disney will continue to pump out content until we choke on it, but people turning out like they once did? That's another matter. 

There's nothing appealing about the trailer to me, and I doubt I'll see it, since I won't see it in the theater, and my D+ will be expired by the time it hits streaming, and I don't plan to renew.

That said, it will be interesting to see if it finds its audience. Not all movies/shows have to be all things to all people. I'm fine with that. I watch what appeals to me, don't watch what doesn't. 

On 4/12/2023 at 9:57 AM, october said:

Video game popularity absolutely dwarfs the entire movie industry, let alone the super hero segment. Movie adaptations of games haven't been successful because they have been absolutely abysmal, almost without exception. Once Hollywood figures them out, and they will certainly try given Mario and The Last of Us, video game adaptations will likely be the next best thing.

I certainly understand the idea that video games are a massively under taped source of movie material... and I agree that we'll see it explored more heavily over the next 5-10 years. I think the biggest hurdle is exactly as you say... can they make good movies from it? So far most have been pretty bad, but that's because storylines in video games aren't much to go on in the first place. 

This is where Marvel has a huge advantage still... so many untapped storylines and characters that haven't even been fully explored yet. If done right, is it really a stretch to think the Galactus Saga with an actual Marvel Universe Fantastic Four couldn't do the type of monster numbers we've seen before? That Hugh Jackman coming back as Old Man Logan for an R-Rated movie couldn't do the type of monster numbers we've seen before? The revamped Marvel Universe X-Men?

Marvel still has a lot of hard cards in the deck to throw down when the time comes... all of this other stuff is just ADDED content - the Scarlet Witch and She-Hulk and Loki... it's just more shows to fill time slots on their own TV channel. 

Even something like Ant-Man 3 - I find it humorous when people say it 'failed'. Failed to do what? Meet outrageous post-co-vid expectations with a character that wasn't even C-list before they made a movie, but somehow has hung on for THREE? It still did more than the gross national product of Micronesia. Everyone got paid. A profit was still made. They did ok, and now it's a nice little trilogy that helps sell subscriptions to the Disney Channel. I don't see it as loss at all.

And truthfully I doubt they do either, other than from a Wall-Street-Greed-is-Good sort of way of having those expectations of cashing in on any and everything they touch. 

On 4/12/2023 at 9:57 AM, october said:

I agree that Disney will continue to pump out content until we choke on it, but people turning out like they once did? That's another matter. 

Yeah, it'll mostly take the heavy hitters to get that. And, the playing field has changed post co-vid - I find I watch more of these movies on International Flights or on Home Pay Per View than I do the theater. It's just a part of my routine that got lost during the pandemic. 

Edited by Prince Namor

On 4/11/2023 at 10:30 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

The music is “Intergalactic” by the Beastie Boys! A veritable late 90’s classic that goes without saying.

Dropping some knowledge here huh. You know that Beastie Boys were a huge band back in the days. Also Hello Nasty was a huge record and Intergalatic was a huge hit.

Using that song in a space adventure movie is more lame than being clever. 

On 4/12/2023 at 4:34 AM, awakeintheashes said:

If Zelda is done how Zelda should be done, and Metroid is handled how a Metroid movie should be handled, meaning they don’t try to copy the format and humor of Mario Bros., I think you could have a compelling “Nintendo Univese”

I’d see an Ocarina of Time movie more than that guy who saw CM1 100 bajillion times. 

Zelda movie is definitely coming. Metroid games have always sold pretty poorly so Nintendo will probably not make a Metroid film.

I think you run into the same problem making movies with video games. 

Is Zelda geared toward an older action movie crowd that played the game as a kid OR toward a younger demographic that they hope to sell new games to?

Would a live action Zelda movie work? Would game geeks lose their minds if someone played the part that everyone didn't unanimously agree they were perfect? The late 80's animated series was pretty lame...

Would Japan even SELL a U.S. studio the rights to do such a film? They can be pretty territorial about some of their properties, including manga...

(Gantz has been done in Japan - I doubt our society could handle anything like it - and they've even taken Hiroya Oku's Inuyashiki and made a decent live action movie of it... I don't see Gigant getting made... 😢)

The last new Zelda game Breath of the Wild sold over 30 million copies. It was a huge hit so that is why Nintendo is actually making a sequel to that game. The old games never sold anything like that. Kids are definitely playing Nintendo games and Zelda so just make a good adventure film that is family friendly.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:15 PM, godzilla43 said:

The last new Zelda game Breath of the Wild sold over 30 million copies. It was a huge hit so that is why Nintendo is actually making a sequel to that game.

Yeah that's a big jump but, it was the first Zelda game to debut for two consoles at once and considering the success of Nintendo's Switch (122 million units) and that the Wii U's 5 year start with a weak lineup of games gave it the perfect storm for release. 

But it has been a monster for them!

The old games never sold anything like that.

The old Zelda games, no. Yeah it jumped into Mario territory on this one! 

Kids are definitely playing Nintendo games and Zelda so just make a good adventure film that is family friendly.

Well that's where it gets tricky...