• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2023 at 8:13 PM, piper said:

I like that Black Sheep cover (Metric - Canadian Band) that she plays. I’ve never watched the movie just the You Tube clip from the concert scene.

I like it as well, the movie is somewhat unique and is worth a view.

And I will post another "sorry for the thread hijack" but it is sort of related at least.

Edited by Artboy99

On 4/12/2023 at 9:58 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Satire then? I see Watchmen as an amalgam of things: satire, parody, artistic commentary, literature, entertainment. One thing it’s not is a superhero adventure for adventure’s sake.

I’m not that familiar with Watchmen’s precise origins, so it seems you’re right that some Charlton heroes were a starting point. After quick research, the Minutemen Nite Owl is based on Blue Beetle and the Watchmen Nite Owl is based on Batman. While Ozymandias may have started from Thunderbolt, I say he creatively evolved to be this world’s version of Superman, but from a Friedrich Nietzche sense, an Ubermensch. That’s how he’s always been to me anyway.

Its been a few many years since I’ve read Watchmen. .I should pick it up again.

If you think the Watchmen comic book characters were a parody or satire of traditional DC characters, then I wonder if you ever understood Alan Moore's story to begin with. And I know where you referenced 'satire' from - Wikipedia. As I read that there a while back, and was surprised it contained that description.

Like was noted earlier, it was using interpretations of similar characters to deconstruct the common traits and lore of comic book stories by forcing the leads into real-world scenarios. Including how their secret identities and powers would disrupt and destroy their attempts to have relationships like 'normals'.

If you get the chance, go to your local library and check out a copy of the paperback. You may like it once you read the story. Wiki does it a disservice. 

Edited by Bosco685

On 4/13/2023 at 4:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

If you think the Watchmen comic book characters were a parody or satire of traditional DC characters, then I wonder if you ever understood Alan Moore's story to begin with. And I know where you referenced 'satire' from - Wikipedia. As I read that there a while back, and was surprised it contained that description.

Like was noted earlier, it was using interpretations of similar characters to deconstruct the common traits and lore of comic book stories by forcing the leads into real-world scenarios. Including how their secret identities and powers would disrupt and destroy their attempts to have relationships like 'normals'.

If you get the chance, go to your local library and check out a copy of the paperback. You may like it once you read the story. Wiki does it a disservice. 

Watchmen is satirical in nature. For example, Snyder uses that nature when the fight scenes depict gruesomeness. He's not rejecting that the Watchmen characters are more-or-less powerless, he's going over-the-top in action as all CBMs do. This is precisely why Watchmen was ahead of its time.

On 4/13/2023 at 6:07 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Watchmen is satirical in nature. For example, Snyder uses that nature when the fight scenes depict gruesomeness. He's not rejecting that the Watchmen characters are more-or-less powerless, he's going over-the-top in action as all CBMs do. This is precisely why Watchmen was ahead of its time.

Satire in demonstrating the humor or ridicule or extremeness of a situation - not what comes across in the story, movie or show.

It is the relatable qualities and characteristics on display in a situation where these individuals have extreme powers, goals of societal justice, or both. And the extent to which an individual would sacrifice fellow human beings for what he perceived as the greater good of the world.

Satire would not be the characteristic I would attribute to this body of work. Cautionary tale more likely how far extremism can take us if reason is ignored.

On 4/12/2023 at 6:28 PM, Dr. Balls said:

At first, I was a bit bummed out at having three Captain/Ms Marvels - I really want another Captain Marvel movie with just her. I have always loved the character and Brie Larsen was a great fit, and thought the first movie was a great representation for the modern Carol Danvers character. I watched the trailer and thought "man, this looks super fun". I am really excited for this flick, and is it me, or did Brie Larsen get hotter between movies?

I didn’t like the first movie at all. Completely forgettable to me. But I liked this new trailer and am hoping under new direction that I will like this next movie. 

Edited by ▫️

On 4/13/2023 at 4:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

The Watchman characters are far more architypes then parody, as that was needed for the underlying theme which was a deconstruction of comic book tropes and characters.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:50 PM, Bosco685 said:

Hilariously harsh. Haha.

Monica Rambeauuaggghh. lol

I’m glad I got the enjoyment out of the first film and Brie’s characterization. It sounds as if I’m in the minority, though. Brie seems a little bent about it, too. lol

On 4/12/2023 at 10:58 PM, drotto said:

I will actually agree with you on this one.  I liked Brie in this role.  The vegan power fight and vegan police are also funny as heck.

I love the Scott Pilgrim movie. So amazingly entertaining and unique.

I am so glad the animated series brings the original cast back.

^^

On 4/13/2023 at 12:29 PM, Bosco685 said:

I love the Scott Pilgrim movie. So amazingly entertaining and unique.

I am so glad the animated series brings the original cast back.

^^

Ramona Flowers :x

On 4/13/2023 at 11:25 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Hilariously harsh. Haha.

Monica Rambeauuaggghh. lol

I’m glad I got the enjoyment out of the first film and Brie’s characterization. It sounds as if I’m in the minority, though. Brie seems a little bent about it, too. lol

I love the first movie. One of my favorite films of the whole MCU. 

"But on YouTube, the official upload from Marvel studios has been hit by over 300,000 dislikes and thousands of copy-pasted comments — a popular way to spam content and drown out positive replies by inundating comment sections with similar messaging. In comparison, Morbius, a superhero film derided by both critics and audiences, has only been disliked on YouTube 11,000 times since its trailer was posted a year ago."

AND:

"This isn’t Larson’s first time dealing with manchildren for *checks notes* doing her contractually obligated job. Even before Captain Marvel premiered, movie review site Rotten Tomatoes had to update its entire policy in an attempt to prevent angry male fans from review-bombing the film before anyone saw it. A 2019 review from Rolling Stone also notedthat incels were enraged by Larson’s press tour, where she pushed for more female inclusion in male-dominated superhero films."