• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2023 at 10:26 AM, drotto said:

The problem with that is that same day streaming does not make the same money as going to theaters.  You could have 20 friends watch that film for that $30. Now that same 20 people goes to a theater and spends $15 each, that is a massive difference. The streaming model and its failure to generate consistent profits, means that studios would need to adjust budgets and expectations downward. 

I agree, but that is also the same logic that computer software manufacturers used when defining piracy 10-20 years ago. They claimed millions and millions of losses due to illegally downloading because they tried to factor in that every person who downloaded would have paid their exorbitant price tag - which wasn’t the case. They didn’t lose as much money as they claimed, because not everyone would have paid it. Same thing for the film industry.

20 people could view it, sure - but they won’t. If I wanted to watch a movie with 20 of my friends, I’d go to the theater. If I wanted to watch a movie in peace and quiet, I’d stay home.

it might mean smaller budgets, or smaller paychecks for actors. That’s an adjustment they will have to make, and probably quite painfully, because no one likes to make less money when something is failing.

As it sits, Marvels will make zero dollars from me now, and it will make fractions of dollars when it streams two months from now. They could have made $30 from me tomorrow night, but they’re leaving that on the table because they can’t predict how many times I will do that in the future. Welcome to my world, Disney - savor the flavor of the unpredictable customer’s spending habits. 

On 11/10/2023 at 2:34 PM, Straw-Man said:

as to the low thurs nite numbers, i don't think y'all are taking into account that big bears/panthers game; how could anyone leave their house with that on?

The cental point in the ven diagram of football fans, demographics that this film is targeted at, and people determined to see this opening night is very small.

On 11/10/2023 at 4:25 AM, fantastic_four said:
On 11/10/2023 at 12:40 AM, VintageComics said:

Do you think he tried to establish the C and D characters because he sat on his laurels, or because he was stalling until they could get the FF and X contracts to expire so that Marvel could start from scratch with those franchises? Because the latter is what I had heard. 

Stalling makes sense.  That's a lot of money to stall with though.  :eek: 

I think they miscalculated. They thought the public wouldn't notice that the sub par material wasn't going to go over well, and the public noticed. With the advent of the internet, the public's awareness has risen to an nth degree and people in general are just much more aware of what's going on. 

What I didn't think they'd realize is how violent the reaction would be. lol

I think they thought they'd slide a few stinkers through, collect some revenue and float into the FF and X-men. I don't think anyone foresaw Disney teetering on real financial trouble. 

On 11/10/2023 at 4:43 AM, fantastic_four said:

I'm not as clear on why they've continued delaying films since then as well, but they've done it half a dozen times now. 

There was definitely a delay to starve out the old contracts. That much I'm pretty certain about. Disney didn't want to bring on people from the Fox stuff. A premiere studio would rather start from scratch and have full creative control. The pandemic certainly created another delay and I think THAT is what shot them in the foot. 

On 11/10/2023 at 10:59 AM, paperheart said:

#fireFeige

I can think of a lot more people to fire than Fiege over revenue performance. :devil:

On 11/10/2023 at 1:27 PM, drotto said:

And now Deadpool 3 is reported to be the only MCU film releasing in 2024.

Good. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move the heck on, whether you're a comic dealer or Disney. 

This bodes well for FF and X-men, WHICH EVERYONE HAS BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!! Clean the slate and LET'S DO IT!!!!!

On 11/10/2023 at 12:31 PM, fantastic_four said:

I still love going out to the movies.  Why don't you guys?  ???

I absolutely LOVE going to the movies. I wasn't allowed to go to a theater as a kid. My parents, being religious forbade it, so the 1st movie I ever saw was Tarzan: Lord of Greystoke in 1984. I was probably 13 at the time and my aunt, my mom's sister LITERALLY NEEDED TO SNEAK ME to the movies and I was not to tell my parents. She told them she was taking me shopping. 

Imaging the moral quandery for a 13 year old kid to hide something like that? 

Anyway, seeing a movie for the 1st time was like an awakening. I was smitten and fell in love and to this day, because I wasn't allowed to go, I've been drawn to it ever since and every time I walk into a theater I do so with child-like wonder and amazement, even 40 years later. 

The reason I don't go as often anymore is I don't like to patronize garbage content, and so I tend to go to smaller art houses and theaters where they curate much cooler movies. 

And I get the popcorn every time. It's a tradition. 

On 11/10/2023 at 2:19 PM, Dr. Balls said:

it might mean smaller budgets, or smaller paychecks for actors. That’s an adjustment they will have to make, and probably quite painfully, because no one likes to make less money when something is failing.

The single greatest silver bullet to most of the world's economic woes today, and probably the most helpful single thing that EVERY SINGLE PERSON can do to help society would be some self imposed austerity. 

Just lifting your foot off the gas by a hair changes everything. 

But you can't force that, you can only hope that the smart people do it without it being put into crayon for them. 

It would literally change the world. 

On 11/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, VintageComics said:
On 11/10/2023 at 12:27 PM, drotto said:

And now Deadpool 3 is reported to be the only MCU film releasing in 2024.

Good. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move the heck on, whether you're a comic dealer or Disney. 

i think this might be more due to the writers strike than a strategic change

On 11/10/2023 at 12:18 PM, fantastic_four said:
On 11/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, VintageComics said:

It's why I decided to stop drinking heavy, stop smoking, work on myself and made the conscious decision to come out on a high note rather than a low note.

I went in the complete opposite direction thanks to the US legalizing hemp in 2018.  :blush:

Funnily enough, I NEVER smoked weed for 50 years mainly because I hated the experience. Then at some point in April 2020, I had a friend going through a tough time with his girl and we hung out a bit one night and he kept pushing me to try it. 

I ended up taking a drag and it literally blew my mind.

My world changed. I ended up having insights into myself and my relationship that I could never have had any other way. I still drank alcohol during this time but I didn't drink as heavy because I didn't want to fall into the trap of using booze out of boredom while being locked down. It was really the weed that was the motivator. I didn't smoke to get high, I smoked to learn about myself, about others, about how the world worked. I would quite literally get high and then just sit there every evening, because there was nothing else to do and confront myself with everything I could recall from my past and work through it. 

It was a fascinating exercise that changed my life and then in Dec 2021, I got a bit of a bug (THE bug, but it was very minor, I just lost my sense of taste, had a bit of a fever and just couldn't sleep for a couple of weeks) and once I felt better, I felt SO GOOD that I decided I was done with weed, booze and tobacco. Cold turkey, one shot. 

Since then, I've dabbled a bit here and there. I still would have a scotch to sip on with friends or a toke, but I've decided a while back that it just serves no purpose for me any longer other than to indulge so I stopped using altogether and I'm now straight edge and absolutely love it. I can be around anything and there's no temptation. I just don't want it anymore. The joy I get from life is so powerful that I refuse to cloud it with anything else. 

The side benefit of the work I did using the weed was that I managed to transfer those lessons over to when I'm sober, and am able to now use those lessons every day. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to and would need to continue to feel that way, but it worked. Pretty fascinating stuff. 

I am actually thinking about dabbling in Psychedelics to better heal past traumas, but I've never used a psychedelic and I'm moving slow with that one. :roflmao:

On 11/10/2023 at 12:18 PM, fantastic_four said:

Not sure I'm on a low note though.  How's your high note going?

I had a long winded reply posted elsewhere about my new high note, but the gist was this:

In Jan 2020 I made a conscious decision never to have a bad day again after a lifetime of bad days. I made a promise to myself to turn every negative into a positive and that made all the difference in the world for me. I haven't had a bad day since. Really. Bad things happen, the pandemic happened 3 months after, I had a car catch fire, lost many friends and clients over my position on current events, but I can genuinely say every day is a great day and haven't had a bad days since Jan 1 2020.

I didn't believe it was possible when people would tell me about this sort of polyynic stuff, but I'm now living it. 

You're on a similar, parallel path with your Zen journey, aren't you?

On 11/10/2023 at 4:03 PM, jsilverjanet said:

like who?

#netflix 

On 11/10/2023 at 4:04 PM, jsilverjanet said:

i think this might be more due to the writers strike than a strategic change

If you want to get technical, since 2020 was pushed ahead a year, everything was pushed ahead a year. 

And as FF and I were just discussing, it was both the pandemic AND the stalling to expire Fox's contracts that BOTH created a delay. The writer's strike was the 3rd blockage in the pipeline, so it's hard to say which one is most to blame for not having an FF or X-men movie in the works yet, but regardless, I think cutting their losses on the crepe they've been shoveling is the best thing they can do.

The PROBLEM is that corporate structure is based on constant revenue and profits. 

For example, if you're a sole entity and had a good year but see that next year is going to be horrific, you can adjust and have a lean year. Smart people leave a much larger margin of error for things to go sideways. 

But corporations are run so lean (who wants cash sitting around?) and everyone MUST BE PAID their $10's of Millions for "doing a good job" that there is far less room for error. If you have a REALLY bad year, like Disney is having now, you can equate it to having a hole in the side of a ship. It's REALLY hard to find a way to stop bleeding when your reserves are getting used up and you need that revenue you've lost to bridge finance a year with a corporation because there are so many hungry hands reaching out to get paid. 

So I think Disney banked on the aggressive side and thought these "bridge finance" movies were going to be the bandaid, but they didn't realize how small the bandaid was and how big the gashed artery was. 

On 11/10/2023 at 11:54 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I wish these guys would get on the same-day streaming bandwagon. I'd pay $20-$30 to watch this at home. Same thing with the upcoming Napoleon. I'm just not going to the theater again, and I know I'm not the only person I know who feels that way. It's just a different world now - going to the movies is not the event it once was.

Agreed about theaters. I like seeing movies in a theater because I'm nowhere near my computer, phone, mailbox, or anything else that can distract me. For two hours, I can have fun away from my home office. 

The theater in my town is in a shopping mall that was a nice place to go before the <lockdown>. Since then, two of three anchor stores have closed (Sears and JC Penney) as well as dozens of smaller shops. One was replaced by an arcade, another by an axe-throwing "event" space that is always completely empty. It's like a ghost town now, with packs of surly teenagers wandering the halls.I do not like the idea of being there after dark.

Edited by paqart

On 11/10/2023 at 1:45 PM, VintageComics said:

The single greatest silver bullet to most of the world's economic woes today, and probably the most helpful single thing that EVERY SINGLE PERSON can do to help society would be some self imposed austerity. 

Just lifting your foot off the gas by a hair changes everything. 

But you can't force that, you can only hope that the smart people do it without it being put into crayon for them. 

It would literally change the world. 

Agreed. And it’s not really that hard - it just takes work and ingenuity. Small and micro businesses have to do it constantly because they are immediately accountable - there is very little time between the position of “adjusting” and the position of “broke”.

unfortunately, that mentality doesn’t scale upwards, it seems. Granted, corporations are incredibly slow and bloated, so adjusting doesn’t come quick - but it doesn’t have to be that way. It requires everyone to adapt at the same time, and no one in that corporate mindset wants to do it.

On 11/10/2023 at 5:25 PM, paperheart said:

‘The Marvels’ Heading To Lowest Opening Ever For Disney MCU At $47M-$55M

https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office-the-marvels-1235599363/

Anything to run "interference" for Marvel.  From the same article:

But more to the low openings for Marvel movies. There have been others outside Disney’s MCU, i.e. Sony/Marvel’s Morbius ($39M in 2022), 20th Century Fox’s 2015 Fantastic Four reboot ($25.6M), 1998’s Blade at $17M and Fox/Marvel’s Daredevil spinoff Elektra at $12.8M. Comparing The Marvels to those movies, it’s not the lowest ever for a feature Marvel adaptation.

"But but it isn't that bad guys!"  LOL, go go Disney Hype Machine.