• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2023 at 11:21 PM, VintageComics said:

Did you ever watch the movie Predestination?

If so, what did you think? 

I think that is the weird one I just mentioned. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I left during the bar scene but most of what I'm seeing in the trailer looks unfamiliar.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:14 PM, 1950's war comics said:
On 11/13/2023 at 10:53 PM, paqart said:

Thanks! For some reason, I have a tiny following on Twitter (218), despite the fact that my research gets millions of views when other people write about it. I think I'm doing something wrong. 

with your crisp and concise writings you definitely deserve 100X that many followers

His research is incredibly accurate, concise and to the point. He's just missing a marketing campaign to spread it to the masses. 

-------------------------------------------

I'm still literally dumbfounded at how well this discussion ended. I'm in disbelief, in awe and elated at the same time. It's a weird feeling.

And I'm reminded that given the time to have the discussion, investigate all possible avenues of the discussion and to come to a final conclusion had we been allowed to have such a discussion with the banned threads over the last 2-3 years, everyone here would have seen a very different outcome in those threads as well, albeit with exactly the same people involved. lol

It's very easy to eviscerate falsehoods when you just allow the information to flow openly as there can always, only be one final conclusion and it's impossible to do it when you cut off half the room. 

What a day. 

On 11/13/2023 at 11:25 PM, paqart said:
On 11/13/2023 at 11:21 PM, VintageComics said:

Did you ever watch the movie Predestination?

If so, what did you think? 

I think that is the weird one I just mentioned. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I left during the bar scene but most of what I'm seeing in the trailer looks unfamiliar.

I think we're talking about the same movie. Sorry, I'm tired.

It's kind of Christopher Nolanesque in a Memento / Tenet sort of way with bending time and you're right, it is very weird to the point where it made my stomach almost churn.

I also think I understand where you come from ideologically, and I don't think you'll enjoy it for that reason but technically the twists are pretty great. 

I'll check out Arq. Love the name. 

On 11/13/2023 at 8:49 PM, EastEnd1 said:

You either hit your numbers or your gone... that's how it operates.

This ESG score that @VintageComics mentions...I don't know much about it, but it could serve as a shield or inoculation against being fired for an executive that doesn't hit their numbers.  Perhaps they come up short on the numbers, but the ESG score has increased nicely during their tenure.  That could make it difficult to get rid of them and create negative PR.  The ESG score could be used as positive PR...a "promising sign of the future, proof that the company's heart is in the right place...putting people ahead of profits".  

On 11/13/2023 at 11:54 PM, Nick Furious said:

This ESG score that @VintageComics mentions...I don't know much about it, but it could serve as a shield or inoculation against being fired for an executive that doesn't hit their numbers.  Perhaps they come up short on the numbers, but the ESG score has increased nicely during their tenure.  That could make it difficult to get rid of them and create negative PR.  The ESG score could be used as positive PR...a "promising sign of the future, proof that the company's heart is in the right place...putting people ahead of profits".  

Yes.

Believe me, I've been tracking this closely, VERY closely for 3 years now and I have come to the same conclusion that you just did. And as you can see, I'm not pulling stuff out of my behind. It's all backed up and real, no matter how much people who don't like it will try to shut down the conversation.  

You're saying that companies may feel it's a goal worth aspiring to even if it causes some short term pain and losses, and that is the sense I have been getting too. 

So WHAT could be so worthwhile to aspire to, that it's worth risking losing so much money for, is the next question?

And THAT is a much darker question to ask because it has to be something very attractive to risk it all like that, because as EastEnd1 stated, NO corporation would do that previously. 

On 11/13/2023 at 10:59 PM, VintageComics said:

So WHAT could be so worthwhile to aspire to, that it's worth risking losing so much money for, is the next question?

And THAT is a much darker question to ask because it has to be something very attractive to risk it all like that, because as EastEnd1 stated, NO corporation would do that previously. 

There's a wide spectrum of possible answers to that question.  I think they all stem from the Internet's ability to amplify marginal voices that previously would have been irrelevant to those seeking to maximize profit.  But also, as someone said to me some 20 years before ESG scores, no one at the party is anxious to say, "I work for Phillip Morris".  This could just be the natural evolution and extension of that notion, in certain circles.  

On 11/13/2023 at 8:23 PM, paqart said:

I just watched that about two months ago. I don't remember a time travel component. Do you mean the Cronenberg/Jeff Goldblum film? I do like the movie, but would have to watch again now because I don't remember time travel in that movie.
My favorite time travel movie is a low budget Canadian independent titled "ARQ."

maybe not so much time travel as i remember though ...

So to summarize the past dozen or so pages, DIS and Marvel are learning that movies with B/C/D/E/F characters are like the piece of polished dinosaur turd. True story an exec I know used to keep a piece of polished dinosaur turd on the shelf in his office as a reminder that no matter how much you polish a turd, in the end it is still a turd. It was a simple reinforcement for him to try to avoid backing plays that you know are losers to begin with. Moviegoers are not tired of comic movies, just bad ones like any other genre.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:57 AM, Bosco685 said:

Even Jon Snow knows this much...

popcorn-gif-5.gif.ef29a36ae3ed964bd41aa7e125b1265f.gif

winter-is-coming-jon-snow.gif.965b1bb0b58cede611b1b275ef254105.gif

Psst... First one is Robb Stark. :baiting:

Edited by Cat

On 11/13/2023 at 10:08 PM, VintageComics said:

I am fairly certain that this is NOT against the rules, but if it is, I'm not doing it intentionally. 

It has become quite the political theme in the USA, as one of my oversight areas of coverage is ESG-related risk events from a business key stakeholder brand perception perspective. Some want companies focused on a low-carbon economy, and others assume it detracts from the fossil fuel industry so therefore bad for their campaign contributions. So very political in conversations due to that forced bias.

And that's just the 'E' in ESG. Dig into the Social and Governance elements about gender executive distribution and corporate stances on societal-impacting topics and you land deeper down the rabbit hole.

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/13/2023 at 9:11 PM, VintageComics said:

As @TupennyConan Conan once said, pay attention to what people say and do and remember it. 

I'll accept this attribution publicly but deny it privately.  

On 11/14/2023 at 1:27 AM, kimik said:

So to summarize the past dozen or so pages, DIS and Marvel are learning that movies with B/C/D/E/F characters are like the piece of polished dinosaur turd. True story an exec I know used to keep a piece of polished dinosaur turd on the shelf in his office as a reminder that no matter how much you polish a turd, in the end it is still a turd. It was a simple reinforcement for him to try to avoid backing plays that you know are losers to begin with. Moviegoers are not tired of comic movies, just bad ones like any other genre.

Well, you left one big portion of the equation out of your post. There are a subset of the population, who believe the turd is NOT a turd and keep polishing it, trying to convince it's not a turd and thinking the harder and faster they rub it the better it will get and the more everyone will like it. lol

It's those people that Disney is trying to appeal to.

That's why the ESG score is being pushed so hard from the top down into the masses. Those companies are trying to convince people that this is the way. That by polishing the turd, they're going to convince everyone to start thinking this way and sell more of their turd. 

That's not how human psychology works. You can't force people to like things from the top down in much the way parents can't force kids to love green beans. They will literally gag on whatever you force them to like and grow to hate it. 

If you want your product to appeal to the masses, the masses have to accept it from the bottom up, organically which is the way nature works. 

That's how the MCU was built over 10 years and destroyed in LESS THAN HALF THAT TIME. 

You can't go against nature. Nature won't allow it and nature has rejected Disney's and the rest of the large corporations philosophy. 

And this isn't code for any talk. I'm being as plain as can be, in referring to the decision making of large corporations, but this philosophy can be applied to every large industry the same and the principles hold immutably true. 

Bryan-Cranston-Mic-Drop.jpg.94bdaf82dea78d61abd1ba3b9c7d964b.jpg

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/14/2023 at 4:19 AM, Bosco685 said:

It has become quite the political theme in the USA, as one of my oversight areas of coverage is ESG-related risk events from a business key stakeholder brand perception perspective. Some want companies focused on a low-carbon economy, and others assume it detracts from the fossil fuel industry so therefore bad for their campaign contributions. So very political in conversations due to that forced bias.

And that's just the 'E' in ESG. Dig into the Social and Governance elements about gender executive distribution and corporate stances on societal-impacting topics and you land deeper down the rabbit hole.

Well, if even two people (you and I) who can't agree on anything else, can agree on this, that HAS to say something meaningful to everyone reading. 

I know you got annoying with my posts over the last few days or weeks, but I am consistent throughout in my philosophy and outlook on life in every aspect. There's no turds or swiss cheese holes here in my camp, and after being slandered and attacked for years and being called biased and "selfish" and IGNORANT, I simply have wanted people to know what is really going on behind the scenes for some time so I'm thrilled to have been able to share, and I have to partially thank you for providing the ability to do that. 

Thanks for saying that. :applause:

Edited by VintageComics

This thread is bizarre. A strange mixture of naivety, conspiracy, and lack of common sense.

Corporations exist to pursue profits. That motivation almost always overrides all other considerations. Corporate policies and strategies are formed by people who get paid a lot of money and want to make more money. So much so that that on a regular basis we see management steer corporations into illegal actions designed to improperly inflate profits or stock value and the resulting securities class actions and shareholder derivative lawsuits.

Media companies, like other corporations, seek profits. All corporations, including media companies, believe reaching new customers (audiences for media companies)is a key to expanding profits. So why is anyone surprised that Barbie or the Marvels were made? Timely/Marvel has been chasing trends since 1939, and it is no coincidence that Ms. Marvel was created after the first issue of Ms, magazine came out with a Wonder Woman comic section in it. It was a play for profits, so too Spider-woman, Dazzler, Miles Morales, Power-Man and Iron Fist etc. etc.

ESG is an acronym for concepts which have both existed for a long time and which are largely unimportant to corporations unless they are viewed as good for business. Contrary to what folks on this thread seem to believe, in the world of Directors and Officers liability ESG has not been viewed as the alarming or driving force folks here seems to think it is.

Barbie made a lot of money. Expect more female empowerment films. Miles Morales etc.made a lot of money, expect more non-white male superhero movies. The guys stuck in the 60s can grouse but corporations will chase profits.

Which is why there is no shortage of “traditional” content because that too makes money. 

Is any of this content any “good”? That’s a subjective consideration which corporations only really care about if it furthers the business plan - which in some cases it does.

’nuff said.

On 11/13/2023 at 10:37 PM, VintageComics said:

Have you not heard about ESG in general or just not in the Disney decision making process?

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2023/03/2022-CSR-Report.pdf

It HAS to be there, because that is the fundamental principle 800 of the world's largest corporations are united on, although it is backfiring. 

I read a great article last year how Wall Street was pushing FOR ESG investing with Larry Fink from Blackrock championing it (they manage $10 Trillion in assets and basically own most of the world) but that Wall Street has started pushing back because the investing strategy has been backfiring. 

Again, Bud Light and Disney as evidence. 

-------------------------------------------

Not sure how high up you were or your friends still are but it's obvious that it's real and I'm not making it up. 

https://www.sustainalytics.com/esg-rating/the-walt-disney-co/1008069810

https://www.marketbeat.com/stocks/NYSE/DIS/sustainability/

DisneyESG.thumb.png.4ab358e46027dd10c53e0fa8135220fd.png

This is just typical corporate fluff, not evidence of a vast corporate conspiracy to take down western civilization.  Call it PR... "corporate responsibility" and being good "corporate citizens" has been in vogue since before I started my career.  It's a good way to soften all those "less nice" things a public corporation has to do to keep those profits growing.  You can find similar discussions in most companies annual reports going back decades.  Trust me, if an executive misses their numbers for the sake of this stuff, they will be gone.  Ask Disney's recently fired CEO Bob Chapek.  (Sounds like you can ask that former marketing exec at Budweiser too). 

On 11/13/2023 at 6:41 PM, namisgr said:

Yes I read that as well, and as per usual like our Phillies the article missed the mark.

They literally missed any main points as why the movie truly bombed.