• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

Ok, now THAT is enough for today. I think I've made my points pretty well.

If anyone has any positive, constructive discourse I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, not much else to say. 

On 11/14/2023 at 8:40 AM, VintageComics said:

The ESG curve is a new learning curve. 

What has happened in the last 5 years is that they tried it, and it's now backfiring.

What I don't think is registering with you is that not only is a former Disney executive telling you that "ESG" is not the new and revolutionary concept you think it is but others, including myself with 25 years of experience in the Directors & Officers and Financial Institutions liability world.  You are also being told it is not the driving force you think it is controlling the world. Far from it. 

A lot of what we call "ESG" was previously under the umbrella of "socially responsible investing." The Social responsibility concept got a big boost because of the anti-Apartheid movement in the 1970s during which folks realized that refusing to invest in companies which did business in South Africa created economic pressure for change. Ultimately, economic pressure ended apartheid. 

Environmental responsibility has also been around for decades but the increasing concern regarding climate change has certainly elevated that as a priority compared.

Corporate governance is a constant concern for corporations and a frequent topic in shareholder derivative litigation. 

None of this is new. None of this scary or threatening. None of this is Illuminati stuff.

As for Disney's recent efforts, female and minority oriented movies can be huge hits. They may risk boycotts, but that's a risk in a political world. Many on this site were lambasting Miles Morales before it came out because they couldn't wrap their heads around Peter Parker not being Spider-Man. They thought it was pandering and said they wouldn't go. So what - the MM movies made Sony $1B. And there's Barbie - another film folks on this site panned and predicted would fail - it didn't. Nothing wrong with Disney wanting to jump on those wagons. Could they do it better than Marvels? Absolutely - they could do all their movies better and for me the very best movies are still Sony's first Spiderman trio. Should Disney not try? That would be foolish. 

On 11/14/2023 at 12:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

What I don't think is registering with you is that not only is a former Disney executive telling you that "ESG" is not the new and revolutionary concept you think it is but others, including myself with 25 years of experience in the Directors & Officers and Financial Institutions liability world.  You are also being told it is not the driving force you think it is controlling the world. Far from it. 

You're actually twisting not only my words, but EastEnd1's as well. doh!

EastEnd1 didn't say it wasn't "new and revolutionary". He said it didn't affect the end product, which is now proven wrong. 

I also said nothing about controlling the world. You did. 

You are twisting the argument and stating things nobody has said. Stop it. 

I said it is controlling ECONOMICS, and that fact is immutable. I've proven it.

But, IF YOU CONTROL THE ECONOMICS YOU CONTROL THE WORLD. This fact is immutable too. NOBODY will disagree with it. Not even my worst enemies. 

So STOP fabricating things to shift the discussion. There's been enough of that. 

If you want to have a discussion, don't paraphrase and move the goalposts. Quote people directly and reply directly to those points AND STOP misrepresenting what people said. 

The rest is not even worth replying to. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/14/2023 at 6:56 AM, sfcityduck said:

The pandemic adversely impacted all movie and theme park businesses. Is Disney doing worse than others? Its results are better than Warner, for example. You are looking at isolated movies. All companies have some failures. To support your assertion you need took at the Q reports for the companies in the sector. 

Folks who second guess a particular movie are generally back seat drivers focused on their own nostalgia. Being a critic is easy. It tells you nothing about the overall business.  

Universal Studios seems to be doing just fine.

Everything Disney has mostly done since Endgame has been a colossal failure, and pandemic did not impact their brains to hire those terrible writers, and use D-level trash characters.  Spider-Man No Way Home came out at the height of the pandemic, how did that do?

I am very much a front seat driver, most people I know saw this coming from the MCU and Disney years ago from the course they were taking.

The Marvels was predicted by thousands of people to be the biggest MCU bomb of all time, and as per usual they were right.   As I posted earlier this movie is absolutely the low point for MCU and Disney.  I am hoping this is there final wake up call to get back to what made the MCU great or their financial struggles and stock price will continue to decline.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 11/14/2023 at 9:17 AM, VintageComics said:

I also said nothing about controlling the world. You did. 

You are twisting the argument and stating things nobody has said. Stop it. 

I said it is controlling ECONOMICS, and that fact is immutable. I've proven it.

AND IF YOU CONTROL THE ECONOMICS YOU CONTROL THE WORLD. This fact is immutable too. NOBODY will disagree with it. Not even my worst enemies. 

You do realize that you just refuted yourself by proving that I did not fabricate that you are claiming ESG was controlling the world. That is, as you admit, your argument.

So why are you accusing me of "fabrication" by pointing out what your argument is?

On 11/14/2023 at 12:18 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Universal Studios seems to be doing just fine.

Ironically, everyone likes math and charts, right? :D

Check out Comcast's (who owns Universal Studios) ESG score and compare that to Disney's ESG score.

Comcast is listed as a "higher risk company" to invest with because they have a lower ESG score.

But their movies are doing better than Disney's. lol

The net perspective is that the ESG movement would have you believe the Universal movies should be doing worse. This is the ESG movement in a nutshell.   doh!

This is what is happening in the real world. There is a MASSIVE disconnect between reality and theory, as we have all witnessed in real time over the last few years in every aspect of life.

I don't understand how anyone can argue this anymore. It's just plain silly now. :screwy:

https://www.sustainalytics.com/esg-rating/comcast-corp/1008051587

ComcastESGscore.thumb.png.8495bac425c54b9366279675990667c2.png

DisneyESG.thumb.png.07fe5230b8b7cc26173e3c45a1763239.png

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/14/2023 at 9:36 AM, VintageComics said:

Ironically, everyone likes math and charts, right? :D

Check out Comcast's (who owns Universal Studios) ESG score and compare that to Disney's ESG score.

Comcast is listed as a "higher risk company" to invest with because they have a lower ESG score.

But their movies are doing better than Disney's. lol

The net perspective is that the ESG movement would have you believe the Universal movies should be doing worse. doh!

This is what is happening in the real world. There is a MASSIVE disconnect between reality and theory, as we have all witnessed in real time over the last few years in every aspect of life.

I don't understand how anyone can argue this anymore. It's just plain silly now. :screwy:

https://www.sustainalytics.com/esg-rating/comcast-corp/1008051587

ComcastESGscore.thumb.png.8495bac425c54b9366279675990667c2.png

DisneyESG.thumb.png.07fe5230b8b7cc26173e3c45a1763239.png

Spoiler

That is why I own Comcast stock. :shy:  Dumped Disney stock last year.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 11/14/2023 at 12:37 PM, buttock said:

Went to see the movie yesterday.  Came here to put out some thoughts, but obviously silly bickering is taking precedent so I'll just move on.  

You can send me all your thoughts via text like you usually do. :baiting:

On 11/14/2023 at 11:05 AM, VintageComics said:

Ok, now THAT is enough for today. I think I've made my points pretty well.

On 11/14/2023 at 11:39 AM, VintageComics said:

You can send me all your thoughts via text like you usually do. :baiting:

some things never change

On 11/14/2023 at 11:40 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

I have seen "Killers of the Flower Moon" three times this month.

If there are good movies I would go to the movie theater all the time as would millions of people.

i think we've established long ago, that you are the exception to any conversation, please go to the private VIP area of this forum to share your thoughts

On 11/14/2023 at 12:39 PM, jsilverjanet said:

or all the talk here, I'm curious how many actually go to the movies regularly

I used to go every week pre-pandemic with Louise. Sometimes two movies on a Sunday. 

That tapered off as life got busier. Over the pandemic I went many times. Sometimes with my kids, sometimes with my exes and sometimes with friends. 

The last movie I went to with my kids was the last Suicide Squad movie. We were actually in LA visiting and saw it in Grauman's Chinese theater. 

After 45 minutes, my kids all turned to each other and said "Can we walk out of this? It sucks." and we did. Quite literally. 

We still laugh to this day how bad it was. 

The last 2 times I went to a theater, I went to a little boutique place we have that curates good movies but I haven't watched a Superhero movie in theaters since 2021. 

I usually catch them all on long flights when they're free or on television while working.

So yeah, I was one of those people that the theaters banked on. Popcorn, drinks, meals and drinks in the VIP theaters. We gorged on movies for years but they've lost me as a customer. 

Edited by VintageComics