• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

As I've noted previously, it seems Phase Four is kind of about bringing different iterations of a character or type of character together. FWS did it (different versions of Cap and Falcon together), Black Widow and Loki both have done it. We know The Marvels is going to bring Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, and Photon(?) together. I wonder if Annette Bening's Mar-Vell is also making a return for the sequel?

Never heard of her. Just looked her up and she has two films under her belt. Pretty impressive to get a Marvel film as your third movie. I haven’t seen anything she’s done but I’ll check out Candyman despite all the previous bad iterations. I’ll say she definitely has the right influences in film making. Scorsese, Coppola, Lumet and Spielberg.

On 8/25/2021 at 4:19 PM, Scam Likely said:

Never heard of her. Just looked her up and she has two films under her belt. Pretty impressive to get a Marvel film as your third movie. I haven’t seen anything she’s done but I’ll check out Candyman despite all the previous bad iterations. I’ll say she definitely has the right influences in film making. Scorsese, Coppola, Lumet and Spielberg.

not atypical for the MCU: Coogler had 2, Zhao had 3, etc

Why is she so aloof? I was just watching an interview with Nia DaCosta where she talks about how she likes to write her characters focusing on shaping and making them human to the point you can understand or relate to them. As opposed to trying to tell you why you should like or root for them. Great interview and unlike Brie she is very articulate. If she can rein in Larson and bring out some emotion and personality we will have a great film. I noticed Marvel is not using anyone involved with writing the screenplay or story for Captain Marvel in The Marvels so I’m down to go watch this. The directors were to blame for Larsons poor performance in the first.

Edited by Scam Likely

On 8/25/2021 at 9:30 PM, Scam Likely said:

I’m sure his children would be proud if they were alive.  Probably starved during the two weeks daddy spent watching this turd. I can’t even watch my favorite movies ten times in a month let alone a hundred.  

First, it's a fake meme. Second, the actual record holder (not this guy)  saw Captain Marvel 116+ times and yes, held the record for most times watching a single movie in the cinema until another guy broke the record watching Endgame 191 times. That's how good MCU films are. They're highly rewatchable. And before anybody calls it a waste of time, the guys got their 15 minutes of fame from their feats of human accomplishment.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:09 AM, Scam Likely said:

Why is she so aloof? I was just watching an interview with Nia DaCosta where she talks about how she likes to write her characters focusing on shaping and making them human to the point you can understand or relate to them. As opposed to trying to tell you why you should like or root for them. Great interview and unlike Brie she is very articulate. If she can rein in Larson and bring out some emotion and personality we will have a great film. I noticed Marvel is not using anyone involved with writing the screenplay or story for Captain Marvel in The Marvels so I’m down to go watch this. The directors were to blame for Larsons poor performance in the first.

A lot of MCU fans actually liked Captain Marvel. Believe it or not, the general consensus among fans (without an implicit bias against the film) is that it's an okay movie. Over these years, I've honestly tried to figure out why it is that other folks honestly don't care for the movie, other than for ideological reasons ie hatred for Brie Larson and her social activism or a woman possibly taking over the MCU, etc.

You indirectly said in your above post that Brie Larson lacked "emotion and personality" in Captain Marvel. A lot of CM haters give that reason for their hatred of the film. I've tried to surmise what they mean by that. For me and for a lot of other people, Brie Larson brought a lot of warmth to the role and imbued Carol with a lot of "chutzpah", or self-confidence. Her character spent real screen time with and developed on-screen relationships with Yonn-Rogg, Nick Fury, Maria Rambeau, and little Monica. She laughed, she cried, she got angry. These are things you actually don't see that much of in a MCU film. Real time relationship building. For instance, where was the quality time Steve should have spent with Peggy in First Avenger? Why are Steve and Bucky best friends? Was Peggy attracted to post-experiment Steve just because he's taller? Outside of Steve complaining what a loser he is, I never saw a real connection between them. Later in the MCU, we just have to assume they connected. A good example of a MCU film where its characters spend real relationship building time with each other is the first Thor movie. Thor, in particular, is the one film with a similar plot structure to Captain Marvel.

But anyway, all those personality and emotional elements of Carol Danvers were in both Brie Larson's portrayal of the character and of the filmmakers' approach to the story. So I've honestly tried to figure out what was possibly missing for some folks who didn't like the movie?

I think I've figured it out.

As much as I loved Captain Marvel, what it did lack (that a lot of other MCU films have) is that dark emotional scene where our hero is at their lowest point of the movie, where they are about to lose everything, and it brings out an appropriate emotional response or action. Iron Man had this when Stane pulls Stark's reactor out of his chest. First Avenger had this when Captain Rogers sacrifices himself to save New York. Thor had it when he fails to lift Mjolnir and when his mortal self sacrifices himself to save his friends and the town. Spider-Man Homecoming had it when Parker is buried under tons of cement and debris. Doctor Strange had it when he's trying to survive a stab to his chest. That dark and emotional "low point" equivalent in Captain Marvel is when Vers is captured by the Kree Starforce and forced to face the Supreme Intelligence in an effort to re-brainwash her. This point in Captain Marvel, while it was definitely a moment of adversity, it still didn't exactly match those truly dark moments I mentioned above that really bring out our hero gnashing their teeth about to lose everything and dead silence from the theater crowd.

I think that was also by design.

Captain Marvel, and Ant-Man and the Wasp also, needed to be more of a fun light-hearted movie as a contrast to the utter despair of Avengers Infinity War and the soon to be released Avengers Endgame. Nothing in the MCU works in a vacuum. Four dark MCU films in a row would have been too much for audiences. That's why Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp worked more like comedies or romps, than movies with a strong dramatic premise.

I think this is ultimately why Captain Marvel lacked that dark emotional scene of near loss that other MCU films had. We'd just had a movie where we lost half of everyone in the universe, including the Avengers and the Guardians. As a result, we got a kind of even keeled light-hearted coming of age super-hero movie that didn't exactly match the dramatics of Winter Soldier, Black Panther, or even Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Maybe with Endgame behind us, we'll get that with The Marvels.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 8/28/2021 at 4:13 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

A lot of MCU fans actually liked Captain Marvel.

I wouldn't go that far.  Rotten Tomatoes has an audience score of 45%, Metacritic has an audience score of 29%, and IMDB has an audience score of 68%.  When someone says "A lot of people", it should be over 50% of people, I'd consider that a lot.  However of the big "three" review sites two of them have audience reviews of less than 50%.  Heck if you average all three together you still only get a total of 47%, so no, I don't buy that "a lot of fans" actually liked Captain Marvel.

Did it do great at the box office, absolutely, no denying that.  However I submit that it did the dollars it did because of the direct lead in from the pager scene of Infinity War, and that is was the last movie before Endgame.

Do I have "hard facts" to back that up, no.  Just like you don't have hard facts to support your "a lot of fans actually liked Captain Marvel", when based on the audience reviews scores above they didn't.

Edited by media_junkie

On 8/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, media_junkie said:

I'm sorry, there is not a film out there by MCU, Warner, or really anyone that is worth seeing 191 times, much less 191 times in a one year span.  

Riverview man sets Guinness World Record for watching 'Avengers: Endgame'

RIVERVIEW, Fla. — Agustin Alanis has watched Avenger's: Endgame in theaters a staggering 201 times.

That puts him in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most cinema productions attended. Though Guinness recognized the record when he reached 191 watches.

It took him three months to see the three-hour-long movie 201 times.

Watching the same film 201X in a three-month sitting is just unhealthy. If only he had done this over a year.

He averaged two views during the week and saw the movie three times on Saturdays and Sundays. He also works six days a week.

Then the cast took a picture with him as he presented them with his binder containing every ticket.

Endgame.thumb.jpg.52f92d185d78c6f518f13fbe22c3905c.jpg

:facepalm:

doncheadle3.PNG.efaae10d0c37f0ac2fb84542bb447351.PNG

Edited by Bosco685