• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Tax Reporting ($600 Threshold per year) and Consignments
21 21

587 posts in this topic

On 12/26/2022 at 7:00 AM, namisgr said:

It does seem to be a bad priority to collect net income from small sellers of collectible items and heirlooms rather than concentrating on the wealthiest citizens who fail to pay their legal obligation.

But where are you getting this from? I don’t know many if at all “wealthy citizens” who are tax cheats. The complaint from people is that they don’t pay as much in taxes (either because the majority of their income comes in capital gains which has a max 20% tax rate verses a max income tax rate of 39%, or because they have so many deductions like using their private jets that “normal people” don’t have.) that’s a politics discussion, I’m going to avoid that. But the main issue here, and what I’ve said repeatedly is that ALL people (from the poorest to the wealthiest) have a requirement to truthfully report all of their earnings and then pay what they are required to. You can have issues with the deductions. That’s a different discussion. But here, you need to properly report. Having an estate sale? No problem because unless you’re selling more than $11 million in goods you won’t have to pay taxes on it… but you need to report it. 

On 12/26/2022 at 11:11 AM, jaybuck43 said:

But where are you getting this from? I don’t know many if at all “wealthy citizens” who are tax cheats. The complaint from people is that they don’t pay as much in taxes (either because the majority of their income comes in capital gains which has a max 20% tax rate verses a max income tax rate of 39%, or because they have so many deductions like using their private jets that “normal people” don’t have.) that’s a politics discussion, I’m going to avoid that. But the main issue here, and what I’ve said repeatedly is that ALL people (from the poorest to the wealthiest) have a requirement to truthfully report all of their earnings and then pay what they are required to. You can have issues with the deductions. That’s a different discussion. But here, you need to properly report. Having an estate sale? No problem because unless you’re selling more than $11 million in goods you won’t have to pay taxes on it… but you need to report it. 

I think you're missing the point of the discussion, Jay ... not whether taxing is legally or even ethically required, but rather WHO is being targeted with this 600 dollar threshold.   In that vein, Bob's comments are perfectly valid. Let's have this conversation in 50 years, when Capitalism and all of it's advantages provided (politically or otherwise) to the wealthy and elite has caused Communism to look like a step up for 98 percent of the people. For the record, I've filed for my comic sales for the last 13 years, even cash transactions. GOD BLESS ... jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 12/24/2022 at 11:08 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Sub $1 is rounded to $0 for tax purposes. And yes, there is a box for “treasure trove”.

So, if you found a $20 bill, you would report it as income?

Sorry I'm so late to the table on this discussion, but I've been away from my PC for several days.

On 12/26/2022 at 10:11 AM, jaybuck43 said:

But where are you getting this from? I don’t know many if at all “wealthy citizens” who are tax cheats. The complaint from people is that they don’t pay as much in taxes (either because the majority of their income comes in capital gains which has a max 20% tax rate verses a max income tax rate of 39%, or because they have so many deductions like using their private jets that “normal people” don’t have.) that’s a politics discussion, I’m going to avoid that.

Buffett says he's still paying lower tax rate than his secretary (cnn.com)Buffett says he's still paying lower tax rate than his secretary (cnn.com)

Having worked in the corporate tax area for thirty years (now retired), I wish I could tell you that there was a lot of thought behind reducing this threshold to $600 but most likely there wasn't.  My recollection is that this was brought in with the first covid bill passed by congress under the Biden administration (the "American Rescue Plan").  As is often the case, my guess is that in initially "scoring" the bill (ie, calculating it's cost) there were likely insufficient votes for passage due to it's price tag.  What then happens, "ask fors" get removed, and/or "pay fors" get added until the overall price tag gets reduced enough so that sufficient votes for passage are found.  Lowering this threshold, which on its face is simply going after unreported income, was simply one of these "pay fors" that was added that congress people could easily justify without creating too much controversy with the American voter.  In fact, I seem to remember that a lot of the attention at the time was put on a proposal to enhance bank reporting of transactions going in and out of bank accounts (which was ultimately removed), and this threshold reduction kind of snuck through quietly.  There really wasn't any malice involved... it's purely the horse-trading of politics.   

On 12/26/2022 at 11:14 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Having worked in the corporate tax area for thirty years (now retired), I wish I could tell you that there was a lot of thought behind reducing this threshold to $600 but most likely there wasn't.  My recollection is that this was brought in with the first covid bill passed by congress under the Biden administration (the "American Rescue Plan").  As is often the case, my guess is that in initially "scoring" the bill (ie, calculating it's cost) there were likely insufficient votes for passage due to it's price tag.  What then happens, "ask fors" get removed, and/or "pay fors" get added until the overall price tag gets reduced enough so that sufficient votes for passage are found.  Lowering this threshold, which on its face is simply going after unreported income, was simply one of these "pay fors" that was added that congress people could easily justify without creating too much controversy with the American voter.  In fact, I seem to remember that a lot of the attention at the time was put on a proposal to enhance bank reporting of transactions going in and out of bank accounts (which was ultimately removed), and this threshold reduction kind of snuck through quietly.  There really wasn't any malice involved... it's purely the horse-trading of politics.   

It was to pay for the handouts to the wealthy in the form of PPP loans. Gotta shakedown the working class to pay for it. 

On 12/26/2022 at 12:38 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

It was to pay for the handouts to the wealthy in the form of PPP loans. Gotta shakedown the working class to pay for it. 

Actually that happened under the Trump administration... in the first year of covid.  The two are not connected at all.

But where are you getting this from? 

The United States Treasury.

The top 1 percent are evading $163 billion a year in taxes, the Treasury finds.

Coupled with the lowering of the top tax bracket rate since the last time there was a budget surplus (2001), it's a substantial amount of potential revenue lost.

Edited by namisgr

On 12/26/2022 at 12:14 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Yup, this is exactly what it was. It’s funny the dance that goes on when trying to get a bill scored favorably.  The Medicare Pard D “Rebate Rule,” which never went into effect (costing $0), but would have projected to have a price-tag associated with it, was delayed in the Inflation Reduction Act through 2031 (was supposed to be fully repealed) as being a “pay-for” and “saving” something like $200 billion. 

It’s why I figured the $600 threshold would get delayed, fixed, or even nixed before the 1099s were to be sent out. Classifying it as a revenue generator back then as a pay-for is all they needed to score it favorably. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

But where are you getting this from? I don’t know many if at all “wealthy citizens” who are tax cheats.

"Tax cheats" is a bit strong, even if literally true. The justification for increased funding for the IRS is the amount of owed taxes that will be collected when more resources are devoted to greater levels of investigation and audit, largely in the upper income categories (see: Willie Sutton). Dedicating resources by reducing the threshold so low, which requires the proverbial "grandma selling her sofa at a yard sale" to spend time and effort documenting that she didn't have a net gain, is not a good look.

(I feel compelled to point to my previous posts in this thread to illustrate that I am with you on your general point, that this isn't a change in what taxes are owed.)

Edited by ttfitz
Added a comma

On 12/26/2022 at 1:50 PM, lizards2 said:

Same for me - most comic shows are in s**thole cities, where I have no desire to visit or stay.

That's right ! Which is why there is a very slim chance I am going back to NYCC next year.

...waitaminute... 

On 12/26/2022 at 10:38 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

PPP loans have to be paid back unless deemed forgiveable. Stimmie checks, rent and utility moratoriums caused many more problems for the working class than the PPP loans.

You can’t tell property owners they can’t collect rent for two years and expect them to not collect it on the back end, or even worse: sell their properties to larger property management corporations who require a much shorter ROA on their investment than mom-and-pop landlords.

Blaming the wealthy only goes so far, the government uses them as a scapegoat to cover for their mismanagement of every aspect of the economy.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:37 AM, Dr. Balls said:

PPP loans have to be paid back unless deemed forgiveable. Stimmie checks, rent and utility moratoriums caused many more problems for the working class than the PPP loans.

You can’t tell property owners they can’t collect rent for two years and expect them to not collect it on the back end, or even worse: sell their properties to larger property management corporations who require a much shorter ROA on their investment than mom-and-pop landlords.

Blaming the wealthy only goes so far, the government uses them as a scapegoat to cover for their mismanagement of every aspect of the economy.

PPP loans were automatically deemed forgivable - there was no manual review beyond the initial approval done by the bank that facilitated it. The wealthy were given an obscene amount of money while regular people were given a few thousand dollars. See for yourself. You can input your zip code here and see all of the handouts local businesses received: https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/

The company I worked for at the time had no decrease in revenue because companies still required our services. We never stopped working and were remote for maybe 3 weeks. The owners received close to $1M for free. 

Edited by rsouxlja7

On 12/29/2022 at 11:16 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

PPP loans were automatically deemed forgivable - there was no manual review beyond the initial approval done by the bank that facilitated it. The wealthy were given an obscene amount of money while regular people were given a few thousand dollars. See for yourself. You can input your zip code here and see all of the handouts local businesses received: https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/

The company I worked for at the time had no decrease in revenue because companies still required our services. We never stopped working and were remote for maybe 3 weeks. The owners received close to $1M for free. 

I stand corrected!

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/12/1128207464/ppp-loans-loan-forgiveness-small-business

The government continues to mismanage itself. doh!

On 12/29/2022 at 12:40 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I stand corrected!

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/12/1128207464/ppp-loans-loan-forgiveness-small-business

The government continues to mismanage itself. doh!

Yup. I think most people don't know the extent of just how much money went to these PPP loans. It's absurd.