• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Tax Reporting ($600 Threshold per year) and Consignments
21 21

587 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, Ryan. said:

The threshold has been $600 for years here in Massachusetts so I'm very used to the filing procedures but it has required keeping strict purchase records.

I’ve been tracking my purchases in a database for 11-12 years now, and on big sales years, they get turned into the accountant. It’s routine for me, but for people like my mom doing a garage sale, it’s pretty stupid.

On 12/23/2022 at 12:57 PM, Ryan. said:

The threshold has been $600 for years here in Massachusetts so I'm very used to the filing procedures but it has required keeping strict purchase records.

I didn't know you were a Mass-hole!?! :whatthe:

On 12/23/2022 at 7:17 PM, Barth said:

Looks like it is delayed for this upcoming tax year! Maybe they'll get rid of it all together. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-delay-for-implementation-of-600-reporting-threshold-for-third-party-payment-platforms-forms-1099-k

Wow what a mess.  My question is why now?  Why didn’t they do this 11 months ago. If I was a single mom selling handmade jewelry on Etsy I’d be pissed. 

Like Barth mentioned they are delaying this for the 2022 reporting year.  Looks like the new Congress may try a middle ground of $10k as the reporting limit.  It will be interesting to see if they do implement the change in 2023 as it seems they realized this will be a mess for all involved.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ambergray-fenner/2022/12/23/after-senate-fails-to-change-law-irs-grants-reprieve-to-1099-k-filing-requirement/amp/

On 12/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Just a heads up, the IRS is delaying the implementation this year.  Now goes into effect January 2024 for the 2023 calendar year.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-2023-10.pdf

That was by far the fairest decision. To make that retroactive was downright dirty pool. At least this way people have a fair chance to prepare.  

On 12/24/2022 at 11:10 AM, jaybuck43 said:

tax fraud

Easy popeye. As opposed to the “legal” writing off of private jets for the well healed?. I’d say the forbearance of enforcement by the irs is tacit acknowledgment that the first few bucks of a side hustle are taxable at the discretion of the taxpayer and the Congress better remove the requirement before next tax season. 

On 12/24/2022 at 11:31 AM, ThothAmon said:

Easy popeye. As opposed to the “legal” writing off of private jets for the well healed?. I’d say the forbearance of enforcement by the irs is tacit acknowledgment that the first few bucks of a side hustle are taxable at the discretion of the taxpayer and the Congress better remove the requirement before next tax season. 

You can complain about specific deductions, everyone can. But failure to report income IS tax fraud. Taking advantage of tax deductions is not, because you ARE reporting income and then taking deductions. Same with taking deductions for mortgage interest, business expenses, etc.

On 12/24/2022 at 11:49 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

You seem like the type to report the nickel you picked up in the parking lot. If not, you're a "tax fraud" by your own standards. 

Most other people live their lives using reasonable standards that follow the spirit, if not exact letter of the law. And that includes not worrying about occasional small amounts of revenue generated by selling used goods. There were few, if any, complaints about the prior threshold because it seemed to fairly make a distinction from people who actually had a small biz side hustle and grandma selling her Hummels. That distinction was wiped away by the $600 threshold.

Sub $1 is rounded to $0 for tax purposes. And yes, there is a box for “treasure trove”.

The spirit of the law is to pay x% on every penny you have of income. Know how I know that’s the spirit? Because there is a literal book of explanations for things like “selling baked goods I make at home” and “held a garage sale”. And EVERY single answer is “you owe x% on the profit and it is reportable”.

The $20,000/200 transaction for generating a 1099 was created in the time before the internet. The IRS assumed you were paying the tax on those transactions but it didn’t have a way to check. Now the number of these transactions are exploding and people are not reporting it. So the irs is cracking down. That’s it. 

On 12/24/2022 at 10:57 AM, jaybuck43 said:

It was never retroactive. Law was passed in 2021. It went into effect in 2022 with a due date of January 2023 (companies and people have known about this since March 2021.) so this has been 21 months in the making.

Thank you for the correction. Let me correct myself and say that I've only been aware of it earlier this year. At least now I'll be sure to save receipts 

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 12/23/2022 at 2:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

As someone posted earlier: this. A major league hassle for practically everyone instigated by a government mindset that the way to meet financial needs is to increase taxes instead of cutting back spending. 

There are hyperintellectual brainiacs (many who post in the Water Closet) who spout the idea that spending doesn't matter, just as long as the FedGov can still make the minimum credit payments.

It's the silly lowbrows who think that the FedGov needs to operate like a business or private entity with their common sense accounting principles and stuff. xD