• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Updates to Services and Fees for 2022
6 6

228 posts in this topic

Anyone else just getting books back from the last price increase? My submission from the month right after the announcement just hit quality control.  I'm wary that submitting now will tack on an extra wait of several months... books that were submitted after the price hike came back 2 months ago.

Edited by Lady Death Footstool

On 1/4/2022 at 7:00 PM, LordRahl said:

Going to have to agree with John on this... for all of you in here whining about this... STOP submitting. Oh that's right you won't because you still make money off CGC's services even after the price increase. Well then you have nothing to person_without_enough_empathy about. If you are one of the ones person_without_enough_empathying and you don't submit and I know there are some of you here... what do you care? You don't submit anyway, doesn't matter if they charge $1 or $1000, has no affect on you. As a matter of fact why are you even posting in this thread?

@CGC - when am I going to see all of this "investment" you are supposedly making. Your TAT's still suck. Go ahead and take my money, I won't complain because I'm one of those people making money off your service and a $2 hike in price won't have any effect but please don't insult me by lying about all these "investments" you have made because clearly they aren't doing any good. 

When submitting bulk, even with a $2 price increase, on top of the increase from last year, it adds up..Like CGC, we wanna make as much as we can. So what would cost $2200 for a 100 moderns @22.00 is now going to cost us $200 more for the same service, on the same amount of books @24.00...for every submission!  You saying to stop whining about the CGC increase to stop submitting is like saying  "Stop buying gas if you don't like the increase, oh wait, you still make money going to work"!!  

On 1/4/2022 at 6:00 PM, PKJ said:

On a positive note, I now have books they have that have now survived two price increases while in their hands.

Are they being pressed? Or are they magazines?

On 1/4/2022 at 7:12 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Are they being pressed? Or are they magazines?

A few went to CFP and then to CGC. but I have some that did not get pressed still there. They barely beat the deadline and are still under the old pricing and grading tiers. 

On 1/4/2022 at 7:15 PM, joeypost said:

CGC fully understands the premiums books are getting today. They figure $2-10 more per book won't affect the bottom line too much for dealers and flippers. 

I talked with a CGC rep about three months ago, and I was told that things would start to get better in December. 

OIP.jpg.b915e79787d89f90fbc45349aaeb44ae.jpg

Are you concerned about getting hit with another wave like you did in April?

On 1/4/2022 at 6:15 PM, joeypost said:

I talked with a CGC rep about three months ago, and I was told that things would start to get better in December. 

OIP.jpg.b915e79787d89f90fbc45349aaeb44ae.jpg

Maybe December this next year..  (although at this rate probably not.. ) 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, Kevin76 said:

When submitting bulk, even with a $2 price increase, on top of the increase from last year, it adds up..Like CGC, we wanna make as much as we can. So what would cost $2200 for a 100 moderns @22.00 is now going to cost us $200 more for the same service, on the same amount of books @24.00...for every submission!  You saying to stop whining about the CGC increase to stop submitting is like saying  "Stop buying gas if you don't like the increase, oh wait, you still make money going to work"!!  

I'm aware of the math, I submit hundreds of books to them every year. But if the math stops working out with the price increases, then yes you should stop submitting. And if the math for your job is such that an increase at the gas pump impacts your ability to live, then yeah you should find a new job where that impact isn't there. I don't begrudge anyone trying to make money when there is money to be made and that includes CGC. The part I'm whining about is the fact that they are raising prices and all the supposed "investments" they are making sure aren't showing up for me the consumer. But since there is no viable competition I'm just going to whine in here like a jerk and then bend over and take it up the tailpipe... just like all the rest of you.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:16 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Are you concerned about getting hit with another wave like you did in April?

I don't think so since they only gave most less than two weeks' notice. But, I could be wrong.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:00 PM, LordRahl said:

Going to have to agree with John on this... for all of you in here whining about this... STOP submitting. Oh that's right you won't because you still make money off CGC's services even after the price increase. Well then you have nothing to person_without_enough_empathy about. If you are one of the ones person_without_enough_empathying and you don't submit and I know there are some of you here... what do you care? You don't submit anyway, doesn't matter if they charge $1 or $1000, has no affect on you. As a matter of fact why are you even posting in this thread?

@CGC - when am I going to see all of this "investment" you are supposedly making. Your TAT's still suck. Go ahead and take my money, I won't complain because I'm one of those people making money off your service and a $2 hike in price won't have any effect but please don't insult me by lying about all these "investments" you have made because clearly they aren't doing any good. 

I won't complain. Then goes on to complain. Excellent work. 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:35 PM, nikocb said:

Every shipment to me via FedEx has been delayed during the past two years. They've lost 3 separate shipments.

Last Christmas they delivered 2 packages from CA to me in MA.  Problem was they missed the house by 3 miles.  Seller on Ebay had his money and proof of delivery and so paypal and ebay ignored me.  Then seller got banned from ebay.  FedEx said it wasn't their problem, so they never made good.  Thankfully it wasn't comics and the packages were under $100. 

When my books would come back from CGC and they are supposed to be signed for, they just drop them on top of my garbage cans and sign it themselves.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:35 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Back in my day you could get a CGC modern book graded for $14.00!  :preach:

And we had the discount for having an account. They need to explain WHY they feel they should be raising prices while providing poor and unreliable service.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:35 PM, toro said:

Last Christmas they delivered 2 packages from CA to me in MA.  Problem was they missed the house by 3 miles.  Seller on Ebay had his money and proof of delivery and so paypal and ebay ignored me.  Then seller got banned from ebay.  FedEx said it wasn't their problem, so they never made good.  Thankfully it wasn't comics and the packages were under $100. 

When my books would come back from CGC and they are supposed to be signed for, they just drop them on top of my garbage cans and sign it themselves.

If something were to happen to them, it's the employee's rear end on the line since they decide to sign it themselves

On 1/4/2022 at 6:41 PM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

They need to explain WHY they feel they should be raising prices while providing poor and unreliable service

Only answer you will get from them regarding this would be..

7b1f4e9db13c1809c64cdd24c0efd690.gif.a220fb99813e48a02c4968cc1c8f453f.gif

On 1/4/2022 at 7:44 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Only answer you will get from them regarding this would be..

7b1f4e9db13c1809c64cdd24c0efd690.gif.a220fb99813e48a02c4968cc1c8f453f.gif

Yep, same different pile. I really wish they would get their act together, they have a great product but have become unreliable.