• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Updates to Services and Fees for 2022
6 6

228 posts in this topic

The price increase is not substantial for me. I just want my books back. I will still renew my membership in a couple months because, face it, the competition is no competition at all. I'm just worried this will create another bottleneck, or really worsen the bottleneck we're still in from the last price increase.

On a side note, I've been getting my signed books back faster than older books I submitted, and I get emails about new signing events more frequently than I'd like at the moment. How about CGC focus on the unsigned books for a while and pump the brakes on the signings?

On 1/4/2022 at 6:53 PM, Lord Gemini said:

On a side note, I've been getting my signed books back faster than older books I submitted, and I get emails about new signing events more frequently than I'd like at the moment. How about CGC focus on the unsigned books for a while and pump the brakes on the signings?

C'mon, man. Don't bring common sense into this debate. lol

I'm in an industry that deals with thousands of manufacturers and suppliers. Every single one of them have dropped multiple price increases since 2020, MOST giving 4-5 increases during 2021 with all of them raising prices effective 01/01/2022. Do I like that CGC has raised prices again?  EFF NO. But we're all lucky it hasn't been higher and more often. Supply chain is broken right now, cost of goods on nearly everything has through the roof. Go ahead and try the "stop submitting" game, best case they raise prices again to offset the loss of income. You'll never shut them down.

Step back, get some perspective and chill.

(All that being said, and true, obviously their qc, tat, etc... issues ABSOLUTELY need to be resolved)

Edited by Fisionbomb
Yup

• Administrator
On 1/4/2022 at 4:37 PM, Qalyar said:

I'm not surprised by this per se, but I would have liked to have seem some positive development on the QA front first.

However, I do have a non-customer-complaint question. @CGC Mike perhaps you can answer this one. The new return shipping rates include a "26-30" book line entry. Does this mean that CGC has changed the packaging for return shipping such that they are capable of shipping 30 slabs at a time? I was previously under the impression that 25 was the maximum and anything above that would be shipped separately (with separate charges). If 30-slab boxes are now happening, then in the $5,000-10,000 appraised value bucket, that's the difference between $3.96/book @ 25 books versus $3.23/book @ 30. But there's absolutely no way I'm sending a 30-book submission without explicit confirmation, because having those 5 extra books shipped back separately (in, say, the $501-1000 insurance tier) brings the overall return shipping cost to $4.30/book.

I am not sure but will check and let you know tomorrow.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:03 PM, Fisionbomb said:

I'm in an industry that deals with thousands of manufacturers and suppliers. Every single one of them have dropped multiple price increases since 2020, MOST giving 4-5 increases during 2021 with all of them raising prices effective 01/01/2022. Do I like that CGC has raised prices again?  EFF NO. But we're all lucky it hasn't been higher and more often. Supply chain is broken right now, cost of goods on nearly everything has through the roof. Go ahead and try the "stop submitting" game, best case they raise prices again to offset the loss of income. You'll never shut them down.

Step back, get some perspective and chill.

(All that being said, and true, obviously their qc, tat, etc... issues ABSOLUTELY need to be resolved)

For me it's not the increase in price... its what happened last time they made this announcement... my books landed on their doorstep beginning of March, and into the system beginning of April... 2 weeks later they announced the rate increase, and all hell broke loose... im still waiting for those books... they are still in CCS limbo except for 1 of them... that has been stuck at GEI since mid November... I don't want another flood of submissions since apparently all they care about is what's coming in currently, and their bajillion signing events...

On 1/4/2022 at 7:24 PM, djzombi said:

Union bashing?  Really?  

Hourly rate is now $18 per hour for all new employees.  They won't see a single raise in first three years - unfairly to all employees who work over 10 years starting at $8.50 a hour.  I have four paid vacation weeks and 15 optional hours (my 10+ years with UPS, get four weeks. If work 15 years with UPS, it will be five paid vacation weeks). I have a vetted pension. UPS pays my health insurance fully to cover my whole family plus $10,000 Life Insurance. I am only a part-time employee. Teamster Local 705 and Union will negotiate the new contract this summer (every 5 years). I expect Union will get more new demands from UPS.  FedEx doesn't have the union.  USPS has a union.  Amazon tries to avoid the union.  Union controls everything include Port of Los Angeles under ILWU13 (most employees make $100K a year). The membership costs me $700 a year (525,000 employees globally). Now, you see the unions have caused the price rising everywhere.

Edited by JollyComics

On 1/4/2022 at 2:35 PM, wombat said:

Of course there is going to be a massive wave of submissions to get in before the price increase. Never fear though. CGC has tackled the critical step of figuring out how to open up mail in less than 2 months. 

And no doubt once they make another big big announcement that they've opened and cleared their backlog of mail on this next go round of submissions, it just means another wave of service fee increases is going to be around the corner.  :gossip:  :frustrated:  :censored: