• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Updates to Services and Fees for 2022
6 6

228 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2022 at 9:08 PM, eddly said:

So I just have to make sure I sell my modern 9.8s for at least $24.

All my drek 9.8s have effectively increased in value by $2 with the fee increases. Maybe I can sell them for a profit now.

Careful. You might get a 1099 on that profit :yeehaw:

After seeing what some of common CGC books are selling for tonight at auction on eBay maybe the price hike is justified.

Good Lord!  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, Point Five said:

Yes, it all went up again. Even *this* went up again.

kick.png.be12d5a466005fefb64f0034884cc30e.png

At least it takes a full year to get that kick in the nuts back… 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

Edited by AGGIEZ

On 1/4/2022 at 6:38 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

You can when you submit a Spider-woman #1 (70's) and get a CGC 8.5. lol

Because these $ transaction took place before you got the book back:

Paid too much for it raw

Pressed 

CGC

shipping to and from

eBay fees

Everyone wins except for the person who started the chain of transactions which honestly is one of the most unfair business things that can happen to someone in our hobby.  I learned the hard way years ago.  Now that is rare occurrence for me thankfully. 

I didn't know Spider-woman 1 went down in value

On 1/4/2022 at 6:00 PM, wiparker824 said:

When they raised up prices last time did their submission volume go down? If not then why wouldn't they keep raising them? Honestly surprised it took them this long... and I expect many more in the future while the demand is there. 

They did not go down. We know that because TATs did not go down.

On 1/4/2022 at 8:03 PM, Fisionbomb said:

I'm in an industry that deals with thousands of manufacturers and suppliers. Every single one of them have dropped multiple price increases since 2020, MOST giving 4-5 increases during 2021 with all of them raising prices effective 01/01/2022. Do I like that CGC has raised prices again?  EFF NO. But we're all lucky it hasn't been higher and more often. Supply chain is broken right now, cost of goods on nearly everything has through the roof. Go ahead and try the "stop submitting" game, best case they raise prices again to offset the loss of income. You'll never shut them down.

Step back, get some perspective and chill.

(All that being said, and true, obviously their qc, tat, etc... issues ABSOLUTELY need to be resolved)

Agreed. I am HVAC wholesale business and the amount of price increases across all manufacturers and suppliers has been extreme. The supply chain is completely in shambles - production, manpower , commodities and transportation. For some items, we have had to raise prices in anticipation of what we will have to pay tomorrow or to cover costs of what we lost on cost increases on product we already sold. . That is not taking into account all the other increases in operating costs.  CGC is not immune to this

CGC.... I get it. Costs ALWAYS go up. Employees are expensive, real estate is expensive, raw materials are expensive. But jeez..... 

While your market share and bottom line may say otherwise. Your business has problems. And passing the cost on to your customers (twice!) BEFORE fixing those problems is not a good way to inspire customer loyalty. First and foremost, you are selling a service. Not a product. You as a company have to get the "service" aspect back in focus. You don't want customers to start to think that cheaper and quicker is better. Because it is not...

You are #1 for a reason. Please start acting like it.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:02 PM, edj-stuff said:

CGC.... I get it. Costs ALWAYS go up. Employees are expensive, real estate is expensive, raw materials are expensive. But jeez..... 

While your market share and bottom line may say otherwise. Your business has problems. And passing the cost on to your customers (twice!) BEFORE fixing those problems is not a good way to inspire customer loyalty. First and foremost, you are selling a service. Not a product. You as a company have to get the "service" aspect back in focus. You don't want customers to start to think that cheaper and quicker is better. Because it is not...

You are #1 for a reason. Please start acting like it.

They act like it by not giving modern books 9.8s, so we can call them strict graders 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:15 PM, joeypost said:

CGC fully understands the premiums books are getting today. They figure $2-10 more per book won't affect the bottom line too much for dealers and flippers. 

You do realize that this is 2022 and not 2022.  :gossip:

As such, in the time that it takes to get some of the then hot books of the day back from these jokers here, the market place on them has taken almost a complete round trip from what they were selling for in the Spring of 2021 with price drops of 50% to 80% on some of them.  :tonofbricks:

If they are really keeping on top of the marketplace, then they should be decreasing their grading fees by 50% to 80% for some of these former red hot books, but now have turned stone cold dead while sitting in CGC's newly expanded 100,000+ square foot holding cell still awaiting grading.  :devil:  :censored:

On 1/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

After seeing what some of common CGC books are selling for tonight at auction on eBay maybe the price hike is justified.

Good Lord!  :flipbait:

Are you referring to books like Eternals 1 with a CGC 9.6 graded copy being able to fetch $1,200 back in September, but now only able to fetch $288 a few short months later.  Not to be left out of course, the CGC 9.8 highest graded copies which were selling into the low $3K's earlier this year can barely fetch $1K in today's red hot marketplace.  Or how about former red hot books like Marvel Super Heores 13 which were selling for multiples of guide, but now only able to sell for a discount to condition guide value.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

On 1/4/2022 at 4:36 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

So I submitted books before the 2021 price change - I haven't got them back before this price change. Sounds legit.

Right?! My last batch got there before the last price increase. So prices will have increased twice before they could even press my current batch at CGC. 

On 1/4/2022 at 1:43 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Agree with you. However, it would be nice if it was an annual increase - even better if it was communicated as such. Nobody is going to be happy about rates increasing, but if you could set an expectation of when to expect it, it would go a long way.

If you really think it's only going to be an annual increase from these guys here, I guess you must also believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus then.  lol

On 1/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Honestly they usually do not raises rates this quickly.  Usually it was every couple of years. 

Well, I guess this goes to show that Jim Cramer is dead wrong when he says, "bulls make money, bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered", as these pigs keep going back to the trough for more because they, along with the submittors, just can't help themselves.  :takeit:

On 1/4/2022 at 11:51 PM, Kerdese said:
On 1/4/2022 at 2:36 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

So I submitted books before the 2021 price change - I haven't got them back before this price change. Sounds legit.

Right?! My last batch got there before the last price increase. So prices will have increased twice before they could even press my current batch at CGC. 

Ummmmm..........................wasn't you taught not to count your chickens before they hatched, because who knows, it might actually be more than 2 price increases before you get your books back from them.  :devil:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: