• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Updates to Services and Fees for 2022
6 6

228 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, AGGIEZ said:

I'm sure it's been said in the prior 10 pages....but CGC REALLY needs to add a tier. "Modern" from 1975-present is silly. If they really want people to cut down on sending in modern as some have speculated, and I don't see why they would want to, then I'd add a BRONZE/COPPER tier...to make is simple, 1975-1995. Anything after 1995-presents is "MODERN". Price differently to drive desired behavior....

No offense but its a rather bad idea. Bronze/Copper would be priced higher and Modern would remain least expensive. I really do not think it would ever fly to charge higher for modern than Bronze/Copper.

The only way to stop flow is was PSA did and that is to remove all but express and walk through for at least 1/2 a year if not longer.  However Venture Capitalists do not want to consider that.

The goal of a Venture Capitalist is to squeeze as much out of a purchase as immediately as possible. Just like with an orange after nothing but an all wrung-out rind remains, they move on the next one.  Retaining Customers for business down the road is not part of their process.

While there are few rare exceptions no Venture Capitalist has ever left a firm stronger when they pull out than it was prior to them taking over.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, MAR1979 said:

No offense but its a rather bad idea. Bronze/Copper would be priced higher and Modern would remain least expensive. I really do not think it would ever fly to charge higher for modern than Bronze/Copper.

The only way to stop flow is was PSA did and that is to remove all but express and walk through for at least 1/2 a year if not longer.  However Venture Capitalists do not want to consider that.

The goal of a Venture Capitalist is to squeeze as much out of a purchase as immediately as possible. Just like with an orange after nothing but an all wrung-out rind remains, they move on the next one.  Retaining Customers for business down the road is not part of their process.

While there are few rare exceptions no Venture Capitalist has ever left a firm stronger when they pull out than it was prior to them taking over.

?  Venture capitalists tend to push the revenue side so that they can take the firm public.

Which by raising prices you are doing.

All this talk of burgers and steaks, but we left out the Celebrity Signing.  Is that like the Bite Labs /Soylent Green ? 20211228_215827.thumb.jpg.8edc1fada4e79e6a426dbc6faeb9479b.jpg

Or are they just trying to feed us their Man Meat? 

200-10.gif.7dadbf8ac99edcb4e6604166fc348f8c.gif

When it comes to the other fish in the sea.. 

(PGX Voldy) Well..

fishcannon-fire.gif.74184d9ad2651cf66be40910e6f9b596.gif

And if you want to send a telegram, telegraph, write a letter, make a call.. whatever.. 

20220105_133939.jpg.c9d2f5c33bb8f180cc6dab32a45018d7.jpg

On 1/4/2022 at 2:22 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Until they stop getting thousands of books per day they will just keep raising theirs prices to try to slow the garbage down.

If I was in charge it would be much higher.  Raise until you see a drop off in submissions.

John (me), Greggy, and all of you are to blame for CGC raising their rates.  Let's be clear!

You all want CGC to drop their rates?  Stop submitting so they can cut back on all expenses. 

The entire hobby is to blame.  CGC is just cashing in.  QC will get better once you the customer vote with you wallet. 

They know I wont stop submitting, so why would they keep the Fees the same?  

Am I happy no.  I just lost $5k min today because of this.  Until I stop making thousands of dollars per year from CGC they know they can just keep raising rates.

Demand says CGC has the leverage to do this and what are you going to do about it? :violin:

Oh aren't you a peach!

On 1/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, rexinnih said:

Well the price increase is unexpected so close to the last increase but the biggest kicker for me is There are no changes to FedEx return shipping fees. However, please note that CGC will no longer use UPS for return shipments unless the submitter has a UPS account.

Based on my poor experiences recently with FedEx, I was moving to a pure UPS return policy. Guess I'll need to set up an account. 

I don't know if UPS is any better. Someone caught a video of how their delivery service really works:

On 1/5/2022 at 1:14 PM, sevans1979 said:

If you want a good read outside of comics the Facebook and Instagram comments are getting pretty good. 

I checked out the Facebook comments after reading your post but they weren't great. At least here there's humour, but on Facebook it was just complaining. And complaining is useless. The only way CGC will learn or change anything is IF people no longer send in their books.

I’ve already stated on a number of occasions that I was done submitting comics as of last summer…over four years worth of giving them business.  But, I’m wondering if they had to increase prices because of all the Mechanical Error submissions. hm  I returned two slabs because of their foul up for a second time and I got their email yesterday saying they received them.They raised the prices the same day.  Co-winky-dink???

At least their QA/QC set new low records.  Well done CGC!! :yeehaw:

99FE3B81-5155-42F1-AA4B-EF7E303DFB7F.gif

On 1/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, MAR1979 said:

The whole different pricing for tiers thing based on value never made any sense to me.  Imagine going to a car wash and what they charged to clean your car was based on the market value of your car.  Nevermind the service is the same thing.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:33 PM, Croatbag said:

The whole different pricing for tiers thing based on value never made any sense to me. 

It would not make sense if the book value was the only factor but that's not the case. The different pricing is for different services. Nothing stopping someone picking a walk-through tier for a book worth less than $1000. They pay more, they get it back quicker.  

Books of a higher value must go through faster tiers because CGC wants to deal with those more quickly.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:10 PM, William-James88 said:

Books of a higher value must go through faster tiers because CGC wants to deal with those more quickly.

Being the host of these very boards here, it should be noted that CGC does not appreciate your very obvious sarcasm here because absolutely nobody in either their right or wrong mind would ever think of using the words "faster" or "quickly" when speaking about CGC.  (tsk)  lol

Edited by lou_fine