• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get CGC to correct persistent wrong data on slab labels?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Question: How can we go about having CGC recognizing and correcting persistent wrong data on slab labels?

Pizzazz 1 is the very first 1st Star Wars extended universe story! Yet Star Wars 7 incorrectly has the notation not Pizzazz 1
Pizzazz 1 (cover date Oct 1977 on-sale June 1977) was on sale full 4 months prior to Star Wars #7 (Cover dated 1/78 on sale Oct 1977). The story was by Roy Thomas and the art by Howard Chaykin and Dezuniga inks

Blank Panther 14 (1979) is Bill Sienkiewicz's first published cover.
For unknown reasons CGC shows cover artist as Jerry Bingham??? who did the interiors. Bingham never drew even a single 1970's Marvel cover.   An artist of Sienkiewicz's stature more than deserves to have his first cover properly mentioned. Same as Byrne, McFarlane, Perez, Miller, Jim Lee, etc have their 1st cover's noted.

Edited by MAR1979

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  If you have a book that you believe was labeled incorrectly, please email our customer service department with the certification number and the information you feel is incorrect and we can review with the graders.  If there is an error on the label we will send you instructions and a pre-paid return shipping label to send that back for a complimentary correction.

Thank you!

Hi, 

@Jennifer F.

the errors mentioned I have personally seen on all CGC copies of the books.  Looking for it to be corrected going forward and properly updated in CGC's database, not necessarily on the copies I have.

Lets take this as an example on the CGC Census DB:

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Black+Panther&issue=14&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=1979&issuedate=3/79

Wrong/Current Entry:         Ed Hannigan story, Jerry Bingham & Gene Day art, Jerry Bingham cover 
Proposed Corrected Entry: Ed Hannigan story, Jerry Bingham & Gene Day art, 1st published cover by Bill Sienkiewicz

I will email cust service as you mentioned.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/7/2022 at 5:52 PM, Chazgee said:

Thanks for posting this. I literally picked up a BP 14 earlier this week and was going to contact them myself.  :headbang:

@ChazgeeYes please do contact! The more that email/write the better.  IMHO it's been real slap in the face to Sienkiewicz for 20 years.

I viewed the Black Panther 14 cover art a long time ago. Burkey had it at the same con I found my 9.8 (1/1 at the time). In the margins it mentioned "Sienkiewicz" . It's been locked up in private collection for over 12 years. Can be viewed at CAF.  It's a cover of at least minor key status significance in comics.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, Chazgee said:

@Jennifer F.  @MAR1979

Here's the Black Panther #14 page on Marvel's Official Site: 

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/17860/black_panther_1977_14

GCDB: https://www.comics.org/issue/33206/ - also confirms.

Below is the original art from a CAF Members gallery.    Note Sienkiewicz's signed his name in the top margin used for art return by publisher. Rubenstein supplied inks. Claw figuratively and artistically screams Sienkiewicz !

Great piece of art BTW. Wish I could go back 15 years when Burkey had it for sale at NYCC.  As recall he was asking 2K back then . Seriously a 1970's Avengers cover in effect and historic Sienkiewicz first ever published cover art. My guess is today it goes for 14-16x times that 2007 asking price!

az33lAFs_0612172230201gpaiadd.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/8/2022 at 5:25 PM, topcat54 said:

It is a slap in the face 🤬

I do agree.  I also agree it's a significant Bronze age cover.  Bill Sienkiewicz is at the top echelon of Comic artist that his first ever cover work needs to be correctly documented by CGC.   Other artist at that level AFAIK have their first covers documented by CGC correctly.

In my opinion CGC needs to have a form for requesting the correction of erroneous information.

On 1/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, MAR1979 said:

I will email cust service as you mentioned.

I was looking in the "Ask CGC" forums for a topic like this.  Were you ever able to get any traction with system data/census changes?

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 3:28 PM, Yorick said:

I was looking in the "Ask CGC" forums for a topic like this.  Were you ever able to get any traction with system data/census changes?

In May 2023 we were successful with Black Panther 14 (1979) Bill Sienkiewicz's first published cover. :)

Info can be found here:

image.png.309440567aa4e69d1aac7968ab9e56

The Pizzazz effort never really got off the ground.

Edited by MAR1979