• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spirit Weekly Newspaper Inserts
3 3

35 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, Artful Investments said:

I did google first, but did not find an answer. Thus, I decided to post thinking you were a helpful sort but did expect sarcasm. 

Warning:  Sarcasm can be found here...especially if someone is having a bad day, lost their cat, or missed the ice cream truck...:whatthe:

On 1/8/2022 at 10:07 PM, Dr. Love said:

I did answer your two questions, plus I gave you the 3 simple words youd need for a successful Google return, rocket science it aint

I too expected something, ingratitude from a noobie, so winner winner chicken dinner

To be fair, he might've run into a problem with your suggestion... :baiting:

image.thumb.png.3b2ed8a191d86e4bab5836dc125116b6.png

On 1/8/2022 at 9:07 PM, Dr. Love said:

I did answer your two questions, plus I gave you the 3 simple words youd need for a successful Google return, rocket science it aint

I too expected something, ingratitude from a noobie, so winner winner chicken dinner

As I said, I had googled it first. All I can say is that I must've mis-typed it because I only got a couple of hits for raw books, nothing graded. Trying it again, I see plenty of hits now so my initial search must've had a typo. Thank you for the suggestion.

However, I really did not expect all the sarcasm and hostility. I was simply looking for an answer to a simple question. I do very little with Golden Age and thought people in this forum would know more about Golden Age books than I do. I may be a noobie to the GA forum but I am not a noobie to forums.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, KCOComics said:

Yes, they can be CGCed. I have a few I just have bagged and boarded like a regular comic. 

They are the same dimensions as a typical golden age comic (though not nearly as thick)

Thank you so much for the helpful reply. I have never seen one of the Spirit Weekly books so I had no idea what they look like. I was envisioning them being full size relative to the newspaper. I'm glad to hear they fit in GA bags.

On 1/9/2022 at 11:57 AM, KCOComics said:

Not the best picture, but here is one. 

They aren't as many pages as a typical comic. 

Honestly, I love them. It was a great vehicle to help popularize comics and I love Will Eisner. Post pictures if you get them. 

Nice... thanks for the pic.

I don't know if I will end up getting them but will post if I do. He said he has 28 of the first 29 issues (missing #3).

Edited by Artful Investments

On 1/12/2022 at 11:08 AM, BB-Gun said:

I don't think newspaper sections, like The Spirit, age differently from comic interiors.  The problem is storage.  Newspaper comics that I stored neatly in a pile are less damaged by age than pieces that are more exposed to air and heat.  Many of my sections are off white and in pretty good condition in spite of being 80 years old.

33855603916_bc71e5fe76_b.jpg

I store many sections in mylar with life-extender backer boards.  Similar preservation would be done by CGC graders.