• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Annual Grading Contest Round 1 (Results are In)
11 11

221 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 8:35 PM, grendelbo said:

I guess that's not a stain on the bottom edge of the back cover of the Master Comics.

Yup, right there with you! I hammered it for that. (I also thought the staples looked kind of dark/tarnished, but at 9.0 I assume that's not the case.)

On 1/14/2022 at 8:37 PM, Croatbag said:

I based my master grade on what I thought whiz was, since I thought it had to be lower for sure.  They were both nice but the master has the sun shadow, I don't see how they could possibly both be the same grade, I think the whiz is clearly nicer.

The thinking is reasonable, but in past contests we've seen *so* many instances where 'if book 1 = grade X, book 2 must = grade Y...' doesn't hold up. I tend to think you have to grade each book in isolation. Also, sun shadows seem to be one of those defects like foxing that CGC (for whatever mysterious reason) gives a pass to.

Edited by Point Five

Seems so, will have to adjust my strategy and not compare to any other books and grade it in a bubble....it got me in your last contest as well when you had 2 of those same batmans, i forgot which issue.  But I thought 1 was clearly better, and they both had the same grade.

Sun shadow wasn't even mentioned in the notes, I'd much rather take light foxing than a sun shadow.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:53 PM, Comics4All said:

I think we should have given  @Tombofdracula50 more time to answer!

By the way, Based on how he responded not so promptly to this, I would hate to see how he would hold up the live picking for the raffle! 

He may have just gotten home....

gone girl blood GIF