• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC Grade The Scent?
4 4

27 posts in this topic

Legit question. And maybe this is why people don’t get the high grades they are anticipating on their older books.

If there are two identical 9.6 copy books of say Hulk 181. One smells fresh and clean but the other has a slight acidic odour of some kind, maybe denoting possible paper degradation that may worsen in the future. 

Could that explain why it got a 9.4 and the other remained a 9.6? I only ask because (and I’m not saying CGC refers to Overstreet grading breakdowns) but overstreet mentions page smell in the lower grades is all. That doesn’t mean a structurally sound book can’t smell a little off though….

On 1/10/2022 at 9:14 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Legit question. And maybe this is why people don’t get the high grades they are anticipating on their older books.

If there are two identical 9.6 copy books of say Hulk 181. One smells fresh and clean but the other has a slight acidic odour of some kind, maybe denoting possible paper degradation that may worsen in the future. 

Could that explain why it got a 9.4 and the other remained a 9.6? I only ask because (and I’m not saying CGC refers to Overstreet grading breakdowns) but overstreet mentions page smell in the lower grades is all. That doesn’t mean a structurally sound book can’t smell a little off though….

I haven't seen it yet in grader's notes...

On 1/10/2022 at 6:14 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Yes, acidic odor is considered a defect and it will be downgraded.  

CGC will downgrade for certain odors. I remember buying books in Charlotte one year that came from the home of a heavy smoker. When I saw the final grades I called about them. I was told they reeked of smoke since the grader remembered the book, due to the overwhelming stench of cigarettes. 

I cracked them out, aired them out for a month to get rid of the smell and they graded much better the second time around. No mention in the notes though. 

On 1/14/2022 at 8:49 PM, joeypost said:

CGC will downgrade for certain odors. I remember buying books in Charlotte one year that came from the home of a heavy smoker. When I saw the final grades I called about them. I was told they reeked of smoke since the grader remembered the book, due to the overwhelming stench of cigarettes. 

I cracked them out, aired them out for a month to get rid of the smell and they graded much better the second time around. No mention in the notes though. 

I knew it!

In addition to obviously speeding up, including SOME not for every comic less than a 9.8 or above should happen. We just like to know CGC, that’s all 

My LCS recently bought a collection that reeked of mothballs.  :p 
That didn't stop me from buying the 2 issues I needed to complete my Not Brand Echh collection.  I just aired them out for a few weeks, as Joey did  :) 

I have had a few raw golden age books that stunk like moth balls and 1 like turpentine due to the way they were stored over the decades by the prior owners - all joking aside  :boo:- smell or stink is not a factor in CGC grading or it would be in the graders' notes and then some seller's might start misting their books with perfume prior to submission.... :preach:

On 1/14/2022 at 6:49 PM, joeypost said:

I remember that collection.  It was a shame.  

On 1/15/2022 at 1:10 PM, Roger66 said:

I have had a few raw golden age books that stunk like moth balls and 1 like turpentine due to the way they were stored over the decades by the prior owners - all joking aside  :boo:- smell or stink is not a factor in CGC grading or it would be in the graders' notes and then some seller's might start misting their books with perfume prior to submission.... :preach:

read above. Apparently they do downgrade for it and apparently they don’t put in the notes 

On 1/15/2022 at 3:12 PM, comicginger1789 said:

read above. Apparently they do downgrade for it and apparently they don’t put in the notes 

I will - I learned something new today too..  thank you (worship)