• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else over the Promise Collection?
6 6

235 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2022 at 10:08 AM, Robot Man said:

Very Awsome book. I am amazed you don’t have it yet. Your assessment on grade and price makes a lot of sense. But then, you are a respected collector that knows what he is doing. A lot of the buyers of these books are trusting HA and CGC. Obviously, not necessarily a good thing for someone who is not familiar with the hobby. 

I agree with you. I questioned the grades of many of the Promised books with rusty staples, large dust shadows, etc.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:48 PM, Artboy99 said:

I agree with you. I questioned the grades of many of the Promised books with rusty staples, large dust shadows, etc.

From what I understood recently, there seems to be a huge difference between rust simply being on the staple and whether or not it stained the comic in any way. If it did, then it's an automatic 8.0 no matter what. But if rust is just on the staple itself (which does rust naturally overtime), then it could be a higher. Similarly to how a cover's colour can be faded overtime and still get a very high grade. Makes for an ugly high grade book, but it's high grade none the less (at least from that perspective) since there is no wear or staining of any kind.

Edited by William-James88

On 1/12/2022 at 4:44 PM, Beige said:

I bought one.

A book I struggled to find anywhere else for quite sometime.

I'm very happy to now own it.

I get some books were overgraded and of course we all know why - but I'm collecting a run, it fills a gap, and I'm happy with it.

I like this story, glad you could find your book. They had a book I was struggling to find too but it was just out of reach for me (plus it would feel out of place in my collection since it would be so much higher grade than the rest).

On 1/12/2022 at 1:44 PM, Beige said:

I get some books were overgraded and of course we all know why

Why?

Lou Fine posted in response to my question, "You really can't be serious here when you say you don't know the reason why?  :roflmao:"

So boys, "Tell Me Why" (that was a song title in 1961 by the Belmonts, BTW).  I asked because I don't know.  Or is there fear that CGC will kick you off the board if you reveal anything they do with "unclean hands"?

On 1/12/2022 at 5:11 PM, fifties said:

Why?

Lou Fine posted in response to my question, "You really can't be serious here when you say you don't know the reason why?  :roflmao:"

So boys, "Tell Me Why" (that was a song title in 1961 by the Belmonts, BTW).  I asked because I don't know.  Or is there fear that CGC will kick you off the board if you reveal anything they do with "unclean hands"?

I think there's an assumption of impropriety due to the relationship between ownership and management of CGC and ownership of Heritage.  And this impropriety translated into "gift grades" on many of the Promise books.  But, of course, such an assumption is ludicrous and completely impossible.  Who would even think of such a thing?  :insane:

On 1/12/2022 at 3:27 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

CGC has always been a little lenient with dust shadows, and I've seen books in at least 9.0 or 9.2 with significant rust on the staples before.

What really got me was the way more significant defects, like rat chews and significant spine stress, were penalized so lightly.

GCW.jpg

MM.jpg

Yeah, whomever graded that Gangsters can't win... well, I guess I don't even need to say it, but if I subbed that book, I'd be ecstatic with a 7.0

On 1/12/2022 at 2:28 PM, William-James88 said:

From what I understood recently, there seems to be a huge difference between rust simply being on the staple and whether or not it stained the comic in any way. If it did, then it's an automatic 8.0 no matter what. But if rust is just on the staple itself (which does rust naturally overtime), then it could be a higher. Similarly to how a cover's colour can be faded overtime and still get a very high grade. Makes for an ugly high grade book, but it's high grade none the less (at least from that perspective) since there is no wear or staining of any kind.

By any rational measure, a book is supposed to be graded in its entirety.  Anything that detracts from its beauty separates it farther from a perfect grade.

In terms of the "Promise Collection is totally over-graded" comments:  I think there's clear evidence that some are slightly to moderately over-graded.  At the same time, many are right on, and some may even be conservatively graded.  As one example, this one is certainly no 9.6 ... but a 7.5?  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/all-winners-comics-9-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1943-cgc-vf-75-white-pages/a/7244-96011.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

Edited by LearnedHand

On 1/12/2022 at 8:44 PM, LearnedHand said:

By any rational measure, a book is supposed to be graded in its entirety.  Anything that detracts from its beauty separates it father from a perfect grade.

That isn't how CGC's grading standards work. Only wear and tear (and staining) can stop a book from being a 9.8. Bindery defects and a bunch of other allowed defects make some 9.2 books look better than 9.8s at times. Plus there was that super faded hulk 181 in a higher grade slab that someone had posted. 

By the way, I am not disagreeing with you. What you said is what I live by too, buying the book rather than the slab. But it's just not how CGC sees things.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:44 PM, LearnedHand said:

By any rational measure, a book is supposed to be graded in its entirety.  Anything that detracts from its beauty separates it father from a perfect grade.

In terms of the "Promise Collection is totally over-graded" comments:  I think there's clear evidence that some are slightly to moderately over-graded.  At the same time, many are right on, and some may even be conservatively graded.  As one example, this one is certainly no 9.6 ... but a 7.5?  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/all-winners-comics-9-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1943-cgc-vf-75-white-pages/a/7244-96011.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

Yeah even with the chip out of the top cover on the bindery edge, the light soiling present in the majority of the letters, and the 1/2" tear on the back cover at the top edge, you would think it would be higher. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:25 PM, Joshua33 said:

Yeah even with the chip out of the top cover on the bindery edge, the light soiling present in the majority of the letters, and the 1/2" tear on the back cover at the top edge, you would think it would be higher. 

You forgot to mention all that tearing at the staple. Trust me... that ain't no 9.6 staple on a book i'd submit :shiftyeyes:

On 1/12/2022 at 10:43 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Why? Because I view you as a valued member of the board, and if you’ve given up comics, I hate to hear it, is all

Pretty sure he's just talking about this particular collection. We've been chatting about other comics and I assure you he is still very much into this hobby. Has the healthiest approach to it I have ever seen.