• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #8 OA page sells for 3.4 million, first page appearance of the black costume.
6 6

250 posts in this topic

i havent followed this thread, but given the large number of OA boardies here that are well connected players and are knowledgable within that scene, does anyone actually know the identity of the purchaser of the secret wars OA page? i'm not asking for it to be revealed, just curious if anyone can verify that someone really did buy it. 

On 1/30/2022 at 10:11 AM, alexgross.com said:

i havent followed this thread, but given the large number of OA boardies here that are well connected players and are knowledgable within that scene, does anyone actually know the identity of the purchaser of the secret wars OA page? i'm not asking for it to be revealed, just curious if anyone can verify that someone really did buy it. 

I have no idea.  But I've wondered, now that Disney owns all-things Marvel, why they haven't opened up a museum of Marvel history at Disney World.  They could fill it with key comics, posters, and original art (such as this), starting with early history and moving up to the modern mega-film era.  Of course... gotta have a gift shop at the end.  Even if they spent $50-mil. in content, it's a drop in the bucket to them, and might pull in an audience to the park that otherwise doesn't care about rides or meeting Goofy.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:41 PM, Bookery said:

I have no idea.  But I've wondered, now that Disney owns all-things Marvel, why they haven't opened up a museum of Marvel history at Disney World.  They could fill it with key comics, posters, and original art (such as this), starting with early history and moving up to the modern mega-film era.  Of course... gotta have a gift shop at the end.  Even if they spent $50-mil. in content, it's a drop in the bucket to them, and might pull in an audience to the park that otherwise doesn't care about rides or meeting Goofy.

If it made money they'd do it. I don't think enough people really care about comics to make it viable.

These days, most people care about the 'idea' of comics but not the comics themselves. 

On 1/31/2022 at 7:41 AM, Bookery said:

When they had the museum display here of all the costumes and props from the films, they had a room with a heap of important comics, from Captain America's actually first GA appearance and other GA keys, onto important SA keys, and so forth. Everyone I saw just moved straight through that room, with no idea of the history and value they'd just walked past. 

Edit: There was also original art. Ditko Spidey, some Kirby stuff, it was amazing to see in person. Nobody cared.

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic
Accuracy

On 1/31/2022 at 1:30 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

When they had the museum display here of all the costumes and props from the films, they had a room with a heap of important comics, from Captain America's actually first GA appearance and other GA keys, onto important SA keys, and so forth. Everyone I saw just moved straight through that room, with no idea of the history and value they'd just walked past. 

Quotes heard in the comic room:

"I remember when there used to be comic books!"

"Where's the bathroom in this furshlugginer place?!"  

"Do you read them?!"  "No! I wait for the movie!"

"Hey! The Avengers had a comic book!  I wonder if they sell shawarma at the snack bar?!"  (:

Edited by Coverless 9.8

On 1/31/2022 at 1:30 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Edit: There was also original art. Ditko Spidey, some Kirby stuff, it was amazing to see in person. Nobody cared.

Yeah... I guess that's true.  With new release comics often selling fewer than 100k copies, I guess we forget how truly minuscule demand there is for this product.  To be honest, I'm not really sure why they still produce new comics.  The old argument that they need them for intellectual property doesn't hold water anymore.  You can develop new characters in video games, on YouTube, or introduce them in the movies and TV shows themselves and generate far higher public awareness.  And frankly, with the thousands of characters already developed, and the constant rebooting and retooling of those to fit changing times and/or story concepts, is there ever really a need to develop a new super-hero or villain for mass-media audiences?

On 2/1/2022 at 1:12 AM, Bookery said:

Yeah... I guess that's true.  With new release comics often selling fewer than 100k copies, I guess we forget how truly minuscule demand there is for this product.  To be honest, I'm not really sure why they still produce new comics.  The old argument that they need them for intellectual property doesn't hold water anymore.  You can develop new characters in video games, on YouTube, or introduce them in the movies and TV shows themselves and generate far higher public awareness.  And frankly, with the thousands of characters already developed, and the constant rebooting and retooling of those to fit changing times and/or story concepts, is there ever really a need to develop a new super-hero or villain for mass-media audiences?

I'd like to think the different media require different artists (used here in a general sense to refer to all involved in the creative process) and that gives drastically different ideas and ways of thinking and approaching characters and stories, as they deal with the challenges of 2D vs 3D and vice versa, just as a quick example. It unlocks different ways of thinking and approaching the characters, and all can be potentially beneficial, and all can achieve certain scales by design(limited generally) and how that's incorporated can really test the creatives and force them to produce some great work, or they fail miserably. 

I think each has merit for what it can bring to the table. Each has something unique it can do, and can't do, that can be covered by another part of the conglomerate of creativity. 

On 1/31/2022 at 4:30 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

It was a great opportunity for me though. I wasn't hassled by people wanting to look at the same stuff I was looking at (everything else was quite busy), I could really take my time there and soak it all in. It was my first time seeing all these books in person. Strangely, they had a IH181 there, and this was a few months before the release of Thor:Ragnarok. I took my mother with me, as I've watched all the MCU films with her, and without her encouragement when I was young, I'd never have gotten into comics. It was fantastic being able to explain what each book was, and why it was so important, and then having her take a guess at it'd value for a bit of fun. She swore I had some of the books in question, bless her. If only. 

I showed her the art, explained it all to me, who had done it, why that artist was important, what they were known for, the eccentricity of Ditko, just little factoids I knew. She liked a few of the pieces once she started to understand them a bit, but overall, it's still comic art, and just not her thing. But she tried, for me. 

I think I had more fun in that room than the rest of the display, though comparing myself to the life-sized Hulkbuster was rather awesome, as was Tony's small Hall Of Armours.